ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
davidholliday

Posted Mar 29, 2010 in: Good Bye from Proximo
Score: 0
I've meandered away from Toodledo as well - in my case I'm using Nozbe again. There seems to be a commitment to make Nozbe more GTD "compliant" so we'll see how it works out.

Nirvana looks as though it might turn out to be a good solution, but it isn't working out for me yet.

After fighting with Toodledo for a while, I'm spending more time completing tasks and less fighting with my system.

I'll certainly be keeping up with Toodledo (I have about 9 months left on my pro membership, I think) and also the Nirvana forum.
davidholliday

Posted Mar 01, 2010 in: Appigo Todo now better for GTD
Posted by PeterW:
I agree.

Unfortunately, Jake has put quite a low priority on this:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/4671/-24955/inbox-request-option-to-rename-no-folder.html

That's a shame since the inbox is a rather important part of GTD and I don't like having those loose items floating around.
davidholliday

Posted Feb 12, 2010 in: Appigo Todo now better for GTD
I find it amusing that for ages the Toodledo app and Appigo Todo seem to share the spot on the front page of my iPhone. I've always preferred the Todo interface, but Toodledo app has often performed better - especially since I switch to Proximo GTD relying on the Star field.

So I was happy yesterday to see that the latest Todo version finally supports the Star - back to the front page it goes!!

Todo also supports TextExpander now as well, making it really fast to enter common phrases. All in all a nice upgrade.

What I'm looking forward to now is the day that Pocket Informant supports sub-tasks, supposed to be happening in the next release. It will become a three way fight then!
davidholliday

Posted Feb 06, 2010 in: Problems getting tasks from Jott
I recently switched from Jott to Dial2Do, mainly because the D2D service was working better for me all around.

D2D seems to understand me a lot better, far fewer errors in the transcriptions. Also there is more time for messages, 30 secs vs 20 in Jott.

I think the paid versions are about the same cost, although those of us who had been using the beta version of D2D got 2010 for free - nice gesture!
davidholliday

Posted Feb 03, 2010 in: IPhone, Voice Memos, Toodledo
I used to use Jott.com but recently switched to dial2do. D2D seems to understand me a bit better and also gives a longer recording time.

With out AT&T plan we get to choose 10 number to call for free, so I've made D2D one of these. Nice being able to leave as many voice notes as I want without using minutes.

I use D2D mainly for making appointments in Google Calendar and notes in Evernote. I sometime send notes into Toodledo, but I tend to use Evernote as my GTD inbox and most stuff ends up there for processing.

D2D doesn't transcribe perfectly, but is great for capturing thoughts while driving, which is what I mainly use it for.

Dragon Dictation is interesting as well - I've been playing with the punctuation and formatting of text and it works quite well. Downside for me is that I can't use my BlueTooth headset with it, so D2D is a better tool in the car.

I also have (although not used much) the ability to record voice notes right into Evernote with their iPhone app. No transcription with this, but something that could be useful at some point, I'm sure.

Cheers!
David
davidholliday

@zjkarim

I have both the apps and they both have their good points.

Todo is by far the nicest interface and handles sub-tasks really nicely. It is one of the best designed apps in all of iPhone Land IMO, but it does miss out in not supporting the Star field from Toodledo. The Appigo guys have been asked about this on their Google Groups page a lot of times, but I've never seen a commitment to add the feature.

The Toodledo iPhone app, isn't as pretty as Todo, but it does work very nicely in conjunction with the web app.

At the moment I'm mainly using the Toodledo app because it seems to fit in with my workflow better - at least for now.

The biggest thing missing is that it doesn't sync my saved searches from the web version - Todo doesn't do this either. You'll find there are lots of apps and systems that come close to what you want, but none are 100%.

I'd suggest you get the Toodledo app first (the lower cost of the two if I remember correctly) and see how you like it. Even if you end up switching, paying just a few $$ to support Toodledo can only be a good thing.
davidholliday

Posted Feb 01, 2010 in: Finally got my iPhone and Toodleo App.
@Dave, I have Pocket Informant on my iPhone and I use it all the time instead of the default calendar.

I don't use it for my tasks because the current version doesn't support sub-tasks. When I sync with Toodledo, where I use sub-tasks a lot, the result is a mess.

The good news is that the next version of PI is supposed to bring sub-task support. No word on when this will be ready.
davidholliday

Posted Jan 30, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: -1
I must say that the Proximo GTD is by far the best setup I've found for Toodledo - and I've tried to set it up a lot of different ways.

For me, the key was the naming of sub-tasks. This is essential since I have a lot of projects that often have much the same tasks in them (photographing a wedding is pretty much the same steps each time, from signing contract to delivering albums and discs). I'd been struggling in the past when subtasks show in lists of actions without a clear view of which project they belong to.

This makes Toodledo behave as though it is a dedicated GTD app - been looking for this for ages.

Now, if only my saved searches were synced over to the iPhone app ...

Proximo - I owe you a beer for saving me keeping up the Nozbe account =)

Cheers!
David
davidholliday

Posted Jan 29, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: 1
Proximo, you have created a lot of work for me! I thought I was going to use Nozbe for a while, but the more I was thinking about your Toodledo setup, the more it seemed that it might work for me.

So I'm now in the process of setting it up - so far so good.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide all this great information!

Cheers!
David
davidholliday

Posted Jan 29, 2010 in: Updated Toodledo iPhone app
Starred Folder

I know this is something that has been discussed in the past, but there is a feature that would make the iPhone app a lot better tool for me (and I know others as well).

Since I use the Star to show my Next Actions, it would be great for Next Actions that are sub-tasks to show in the Starred folder, even when I have the sub-tasks nested.

I hate having to have the sub-tasks In-line because this makes my projects folder such a mess.

I have been experimenting with the Proximo GTD setup and this little iPhone issue is my only real problem so far. Would be great to have this change in the Starred folder in an iPhone app update.

Cheers!
David
davidholliday

Posted Jan 22, 2010 in: Trying a different iphone app
Posted by software:
@davidholliday

Action Lists doesn't do Toodledo subtasks. Sorry. It will let you nest projects, but not tasks. Also, in the interests of full disclosure, projects are synchronized to Toodledo as folders which aren't nestable on the Toodledo side, so any nested projects in Action Lists will appear as a flat structure on Toodledo.

P.S. This is c.e.perry, btw. I forgot that I was logged in under my test account.

No problem - I just made the wrong assumption. Would be a great feature for you to include in a future version though =)
davidholliday

Posted by cjuzda:
Interesting - I've taken a quick look at Nozbe but it seems a bit pricey for a web app compared to Toodledo which to me is a comparable app - different but comparable. Can you add a bit of info re why you feel Nozbe is a good solution - The iphone app looks good and it's free but paying $60+ every year seems pretty expensive for the web app so it would ave to be measurably better than alternatives

Chris

Chris, Nozbe has some really nice feature and some serious problems - just as Proximo mentioned.

For me, it is really good at handling projects, probably the best (of the apps I've looked at) for this.

The weakness is the parts of the GTD workflow that don't exist in Nozbe - at least not without workarounds. At the moment, I'm using Evernote for the parts Nozbe doesn't address (particularly as my GTD inbox) and this is doing OK.

Anyway, I plan to hang in there with Nozbe for a while just to see how things work out. I'm getting more out of it than my previous Toodledo workflow. A new iPhone app is planned which is badly needed - actually the current one is unusable as far as I'm concerned.

With the addition of homes for inbox, next actions and the other missing lists, Nozbe would be a real winner - especially if the iPhone app is half decent.

The program has tons of potential, but it all comes down to whether the developer decides to make those changes. As you noticed Nozbe is rather expensive (more so since I think most serious users will soon need more than the 100 projects included in the first package)- there should be funds available for development, one would think.

Cheers!
David
davidholliday

Posted Jan 21, 2010 in: Trying a different iphone app
@ c.e.perry

Charles I noticed that Action Lists syncs with Toodledo and supports subtasks so I thought it might be a good solution for me.

One $10 investment later, it seems the app doesn't sync the Toodledo subtask structure - for me it flattens everything out.

Am I missing something obvious (I'm really good at that!), or did I just throw $10 away?

Very nice app though - you've done a nice job of making everything look really good.

Cheers!
David
davidholliday

Posted Jan 20, 2010 in: There is no GTD system...
@TheGriff

Some good points in your post and I'm in agreement with much of what you say - indeed there is no perfect GTD system because everyone is looking for something a little different.

For me, I've been a Toodledo user for a long time and I like the fact that so much functionality is built in, that the iPhone app works and that third party iPhone apps are available as well.

However, I've made a conscious decision that I want to follow David Allen's GTD system as closely as I can. The problem is that this was designed around using physical inboxes, folders and paper - getting a digital version of that same workflow is not easy.

My main reason for wanting to achieve this is so that I don't have to worry about the GTD system, I can spend my time on just doing things.

A huge step for me has been to use Evernote as my inbox - best thing since those wire baskets. Just having a good place to collect and process all the stuff I come across gets the process off to a good start!

I'm also always interested to see how people have fine tuned systems like Toodledo to meet their personal needs, which is why I like this forum.

David
davidholliday

Posted by Proximo:

I am always on the lookout for something that can do GTD right and only GTD.

I think we are on the same journey - all I want is a simple GTD workflow, not interested in all the extras.

At the moment Nozbe comes pretty close for me. I'm getting over the lack of a proper inbox by using Evernote for all my collecting and adding anything that is a task or project to Nozbe at the Process stage.

A lot is going to depend on how the upcoming iPhone app for Nozbe works out.

I've noticed as well that quite a few people seem to have had success setting up a context and tag system in Evernote and used that as their GTD system. I might try that while I'm in limboland here.

I must say, the Evernote/Nozbe combo has made me feel more in control of what I'm doing, so some progress has been made.
davidholliday

Posted Jan 18, 2010 in: Finally got my iPhone and Toodleo App.
Yes, Appigo Todo does do projects better. I also much
prefer the general UI to the Toodledo app.

The killer for me with Appigo is that it doesn't sync either the
star or status fields from Toodledo website.

Frustrating how so many systems come close to being really good, but never get that last bit!
davidholliday

Posted Jan 17, 2010 in: Toodledo GTD Setup Template
Thanks for posting this.
I'm really trying to find a workflow that fits the basic GTD concepts and this is really interesting.
davidholliday

Posted by Mallozzi:
BTW I wont suggest using Pocket Informant (Although I'm a PI Fanboy from Windows Mobile) untill they support Sub-tasks (which by the looks of it, is coming *very* soon - next release)

I'm also a Pocket Informant fanboy from the old days. I use the iPhone version, just as a replacement for the built-in calendar (at least I did until the little problem this weekend!)

Good news if sub-tasks are coming. At the moment my task structure in Toodledo is a mess in PI with everything flattened out - especially since I have multiple projects that contain the same task.

To be honest, I was surprised PI didn't have sub-task support from day one; especially since it was a big part of the WM version and that Toodledo supported them.

I've been drifting away from Toodledo of late because I want a better GTD workflow. PI with sub-tasks might just make me think again.
davidholliday

Posted Jan 10, 2010 in: Notebook access from iPhone App
I'm pretty sure that the only way to access the Notebook from an iPhone is to get the Appigo Notebook app: http://www.appigo.com/notebook
davidholliday

Posted Jan 10, 2010 in: Evernote integration
Score: 1
For my projects, I tend to have a lot of supporting information and I store this in Evernote. I really want to be able to find this from my project notes in Toodledo so I was pleased when I saw the thread started by big_KC about using Tarpipe to set up a Toodledo/Evernote workflow. http://bit.ly/4OgPI8

Tarpipe (as big_KC mentioned) is very frustrating - it seemed to work for a while then parts of my workflow stopped working and now doesn't work at all. It only worked properly for about 5 minutes.

So as an alternative I've been trying to just open documents in the Evernote web version, copy the URL, shorten it and add to my project notes in Toodledo.

This seems to work perfectly when using my desktop - the link just opens the Evernote website and goes right to the document.

Seems to work on the iPhone as well. The first document I tried was a PDF which opened perfectly. Trying to access a text note in Evernote gave an error message that the browser isn't compatible - closing the error, the note displayed fine.

I'm going to try this for a while to see if it is a usable way to keep track of my project material without having to go and search through Evernote.

Still hoping to see real Evernote integration in a future update though!
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next