ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
Linh

Posted Jan 27, 2014 in: Dependent Tasks
Score: 1
  • Linh
  • Posted: Jan 27, 2014
  • Score: 1
I'm using Toodledo for work and Omnifocus for personal tasks.

I like how OF tries to not let overwhelm those with large numbers of tasks by hiding tasks that have a future start date and tasks that are dependent to one preceding it. For example, if I make 2 tasks – Drop off dry cleaning and Pick up dry cleaning – and make the pickup be dependent on drop off, I won’t see pick up dry cleaning until I complete dropping it off.

Does Toodledo allow me the option of hiding dependent tasks?
Linh

Posted Jan 13, 2013 in: Parting Thoughts
Score: 2
  • Linh
  • Posted: Jan 13, 2013
  • Score: 2
Hey Toodledo,

I've been a pro subscriber for years and find your product dependable. In the meantime, I've griped about it not being pretty enough to use and not having a nice workflow like OF. In the past 2 months, I've been exploring alternatives because I've lost the infatuation I've had in the beginning. I've stopped organizing my tasks and have gone several days without opening the app or website, whereas in the past, I consulted them many times a day.

However, my search for a new task management system made me realize that it's not you, but it's really me. In evaluating Things vs Omnifocus, my initial impression that they're clones of each other was challenged. In reality, they were very different when you use it for what it's meant for. That realization also showed me that I it's unfair to judge Toodledo for not being like <X task management app> enough. You guys cater to a certain segment of the market, prioritize certain SW requirements over others, and injected your own personality into your product. You have a unique product that's just right for a certain crowd.

So my thoughts to the developers is to resist the complaints of some of the most vocal if they are not the customers you designed TD for. You are not going to please everyone, and if you try to do so, you will end up displeasing everyone.

My own personal reason for switching is that I found the interface too cluttered and made reviewing upcoming tasks daunting. Aesthetics is somewhat important to me, whereas years ago, it was not. I also get bored easily, so I do predict getting bored of OF and moving to a different system later on. My point is that there are customers you just can't please indefinitely.

I still plan on keeping your app on my homescreen for months to come as I transition over. I might even come back if my priorities shift again. Toodledo has been dependable, powerful, and flexible. Although it's not right for me anymore, I still think your product rocks.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2013.
Linh

Posted Jan 09, 2013 in: Is something wrong with me?
Score: 1
  • Linh
  • Posted: Jan 09, 2013
  • Score: 1
What is that mental condition listed in DSM-V characterized by forming goals as a means of using cool productivity tools?

I got excited when I signed up for Toodledo so I can finally have a system to organize my tasks. Was hooked on it for some months, then the honeymooning period was over where I used Toodledo for a few years without as much excitement. Now I'm nearing the divorce stage where I've been cheating on Toodledo with mistress Omnifocus. The excitement is back, but I'm also realizing that I just enjoy trying out new productivity tools and having them organize my task is just a bonus :)

Who here is like me?
Linh

Posted Oct 27, 2012 in: Improve Toodledo iOS Workflow and UI
Score: 0
  • Linh
  • Posted: Oct 27, 2012
  • Score: 0
I know this has been requested a bunch of time, but for years Toodledo has been thanking us for that suggestion and haven't done much. TD staff, please read completely, even though it's long.

I've been a pro subscriber for 1 or 2+ years. After reading Getting Things Done, I've been really excited to use Toodledo. But now my to do list is nearly out of control and so I barely open it up anymore. Why? Mostly my fault for not keeping my tasks in check, but Toodledo's cumbersome workflow and uninviting UI poses a mental block for me to spend time in the app.

I'm dying to move my system over to Omnifocus or Things. But 1) they're so expensive and 2) most of my data (tasks and notes) are in Toodledo. They just need to give a temporary discount and I just need to spend a few hours migrating my data over and we would have parted ways. My point: I've been a loyal user of Toodledo because it was inexpensive and its price posed a low entry barrier + it has a powerful to do system, but now I'm itching to escape. A user who is constantly eyeing for the next opportunity is not a mentality of a satisfied user.

Look, I'm an engineer, so I get Toodledo.

Toodledo is in a unique position of being both the client and the server: you have the website and apps that interfaces with the users, as well as having the backend database for other apps to sync to. You guys are programmers and engineers, and this is where your expertise lies. But imagine if you had a little bit of the design side: you would OWN the to-do market by combining these 2 expertise.

I read blogs and listen to podcasts about productivity and tech products. Content like John Gruber's Daring Fireball, 5by5 podcasts, Lifehacker, etc. Most of the people with the biggest mouths and biggest audiences tout products like Omnifocus or the like. Those products are thoughtfully designed and beautifully implemented. They can sell their stuff for $20 (iOS) - $80 (Mac OS) and still gain customers who BRAG about paying that kind of money.

For example, just take a look at these Homescreens:
http://macsparky.com/?page=2&tag=home%20screens

When these influential people put a to do app on their homescreen, more often than not, it's Omnifocus. It was after viewing that blog article that got me to write this post.

Toodledo is powerful, but it's not cool or pretty. It's like the utilitarian Dell product versus the chic Apple product. Toodledo is good enough for people to use, but it doesn't evoke any kind of pride in using it.

But there's no reason Toodledo has to be like that.

So here's my suggestion:

Make a new app.

Invest in hiring a good UI designer to work on the design and a human-software interaction expert to contribute to good workflow ideas in the new app. The new app will serve as the premium version for partially-satisfied users who want more and for the others who envy Omnifocus but can't afford it.

Keep developing the current app, and rename it to Toodledo Classic or something. That way, it will serve as the inexpensive and versatile client for most of the current satisfied users who prefer upfront versatility and power and who doesn't care about design.

There's no reason you guys shouldn't pursue this strategy. You've already built expertise for the hard part: the backend of the Toodledo system, now invest a little in the superficial part that makes it easy for people to use the app, and instill a sense of pride in it with good & intuitive design.

Copy Omnifocus's workflow and design...doesn't matter. Many task app makers do. They just don't succeed because they haven't done it well enough or they don't have talented programmers to make it work well (for example, Taska: beautiful app with good workflow, but too many bugs; they've since abandoned the app). But Toodledo have the programming skills and a great product, you just need to invest in a good design.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2012.
Linh

• Linh
  • Posted: Jan 10, 2011
Thanks for pointing this out...looks amazing!
Linh

Posted Aug 16, 2010 in: Toodledo app is free today on iTunes!
  • Linh
  • Posted: Aug 16, 2010
I wanted to post this in the News forum, but couldn't, so posting here instead.

It's part of the Free-App-A-Day promotion. So even for those happily using a 3rd party app, you should check it out.

Although I already bought this app over a year ago, thanks TD! Any possibility of free premium services as a future promotion...?
Linh

Posted Jul 30, 2010 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: -1
  • Linh
  • Posted: Jul 30, 2010
  • Score: -1
Hi Proximo, welcome back! Last I heard, you weren’t using Toodledo anymore. Can I ask what you’re using now and why you switched? Perhaps it’s a little tacky to ask this in a Toodledo forum, but there is no private messaging feature…
Linh

Posted Jul 30, 2010 in: iPhone App Update to Version 2.0.3
  • Linh
With the iOS 4.0 update, Apple allows apps to access the system’s calendar. Is toodledo taking advantage of this? I’d love it if a dated task automatically gets added to my calendar (which is synced via MS Exchange with Google Cal).
Linh

Posted Jul 30, 2010 in: Feature Request: Backups
  • Linh
There is a wide variety in terms of quality for the Toodledo apps out there. Toodledo’s own app had never given me any problems, but for those liking workflow and UI, they’re looking elsewhere. I just used Appigo’s Todo, and did a full sync and I think it deleted all of my tasks except 1. I can’t be sure because I was just testing it and had stopped using it for a week so I don’t remember what I had done prior. Then there’s Taska that’s just horrible with syncing.

None of this is Toodledo’s fault of course (unless your syncing API could be improved to be easier to use?). But this brings up a practical issue: poorly syncing 3rd party apps. Toodledo already has a way to export your to do list, but how about implementing an automated one that backs up 1 or 2 days of tasks and notebooks everyday? If data is corrupted or an app bug deletes a to do list, then we would be able to grab a previous backup. And how about a logging feature that displays exactly what a sync did?

This message was edited Jul 30, 2010.
Linh

Posted Jul 22, 2010 in: Biggest Time Sinks
  • Linh
  • Posted: Jul 22, 2010
Work is my biggest distraction. Takes 40 hrs a week from what I really want to do with my life :P

This message was edited Jul 22, 2010.
Linh

Posted Jul 22, 2010 in: Apps you use on a daily basis
Score: -1
  • Linh
  • Posted: Jul 22, 2010
  • Score: -1
My daily iPhone apps:
Toodledo for tasks and random notes keeping; but am not satisfied with the app in its current state
Instapaper
Reeder for RSS feeds
Moneybook for tracking expenses
iPhone Calendar syncing with Google Calendar
JotNot Pro for capturing documents on the fly (when quality doesn’t matter)

Non-apps:
Google Voice, Google Reader
ToDoList – a more technical to do list / gantt chart-ish software used for engineering projects
Keepass for keeping passwords

Unique apps that I use once in a while:
Google Wave for collaborating on documents
Sleep Cycle for waking me up in my lightest sleep stage
SoundHound for identifying songs

^ wfolta, I’ve been thinking of buying a mindmapping app like iThoughtsHD and iAnnotatePDF, but they’re quite expensive for apps. Would you recommend them over other alternatives?
Linh

Posted Jun 30, 2010 in: A little fire underneath your seat
  • Linh
  • Posted: Jun 30, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:
We were very happy with the results of the Lifehacker survey. If you just compare the online task managers, we came in 3rd, which I am very pleased with, considering that there are dozens and dozens of competitors. We must be doing something right!

We weren't even on the chart a year ago. Maybe next year we'll be 2nd :)

In that case, congrats! With so many vocal members clamoring for better workflow and interface (by workflow, I like Taska's, the iphone app), you would clearly have more satisfied customers if you improved on that. I know you've been budgeting and planning on it, but I hope you understand its urgency too and would give it appropriate priority.

Also, it's great that satisfied customers flock to defend Toodledo...but people should understand that oftentimes a product's biggest critic can be the most helpful.
Linh

Posted Jun 29, 2010 in: A little fire underneath your seat
  • Linh
  • Posted: Jun 29, 2010
Hi Toodledo,

Lifehacker ran their own little survey about readers' favorite to do managers, and the results are a little disappointing for Toodledo, yet not surprising.

http://lifehacker.com/5575748/best-to+do-list-manager-paper

If excluding paper and the expensive Things application, Toodledo came in last relative to direct competitors.

I agree that TD serve a niche to-do market, those who like power, features, and GTD, and by definition, would never take the majority of market share. However, my point in showing you this survey is that I think too many people are turned off by the interface. I know Toodledo has been working hard (read your news post about cleaning up the code), but I hope this survey provides an extra motivation to get working on improving interface and workflow.

Toodledo is my choice for managing to do's, but with those improvements, you would surely win a greater market share.
Linh

• Linh
  • Posted: Jun 26, 2010
I'm frustrated with the lack of a good GTD app that syncs with Toodledo.

So far, Toodledo app is what I use, but UI is unimpressive, and worse, workflow is not user friendly. But by far, and should be so, it syncs best with the Toodledo website.

Taska is nice looking, and workflow is slightly better, but gosh, it's full of bugs and I can't trust it whatsoever.

ToDo also has an unimpressive interface for the iPHone (and the iPad app looks cheesy), is just as powerful as the Toodledo app, but lacks a cohesive GTD structure (for example, Status doesn't sync with Toodledo).

Help, anyone? What's a good GTD program that syncs very well with Toodledo? THat's important to me b/c I use the web interface almost as much as the app. When marking a task as Someday and not have it sync with the website is frustrating.

Only if Toodledo would just invest in a designer to revamp the website interface, and improve the app interface + GTD workflow.
Linh

• Linh
  • Posted: Jun 15, 2010
Thanks, Toodledo for being receptive. I also have a few more suggestions:

1) For subscribers, if the app doesn't support a secure connection during syncing, can you implement that?

2) I've been using Appigo's Notebook app. What I like about it is that it allows me password protect sensitive notebooks. Sometimes I lend out my phone and would feel safer if Toodledo app allows password access to certain notebooks too. And especially on the iPad when people like to play with it, explore, and tend to use longer, this feature is even more important.
Linh

• Linh
  • Posted: Jun 15, 2010
I just downloaded the update for the Toodledo app on my iphone. While I'm happy to have my notebook synced, I find the layout wastes a lot of screen space, when screen is such a premium on the iPhone. Suggestions:

- Find a better means to change the name and folder of a notebook. These aren't done often enough that they should take up two permanent rows in the notebook. Perhaps use dropdown menus to free up these two rows.

- Somehow create a better interface design to navigate between Tasks / Notebooks / Settings. Again, these take up a permanent row in the app. A dropdown menu here would work better too. The dropdown menu can sit in where the Toodledo branding is (I'm a Toodledo fan, and don't need to be constantly reminded of or persuaded by the branding).

I commend the first release of the notebook feature, but the interface is too cluttered, while other interface objects (such as Toodledo branding) doesn't add value to the usage in the app.
Linh

Posted Jun 07, 2010 in: Hotlist bug
  • Linh
  • Posted: Jun 07, 2010
Thanks for the reply, PeterW. I tried what you said, but the same problem occurs.
Linh

Posted Jun 06, 2010 in: Hotlist bug
  • Linh
  • Posted: Jun 06, 2010
Another thing:

I'm using Chrome 5.0.375 on Windows Vista right now, and when trying to edit Notebooks, I keep on getting the message "Loading..." but it never goes through. On another computer, it works fine, just not this. Please look into this.
Linh

Posted Jun 05, 2010 in: Hotlist bug
  • Linh
  • Posted: Jun 05, 2010
Hi, just wanted to point out that if a to do item has been created without a due date, then adding one later on will not automatically put it in the hotlist. I currently have my hotlist setting to include tasks with 2 or higher priorities and 7 days due dates. Thanks.
Linh

• Linh
  • Posted: Apr 26, 2010
Hi all, can you weigh in on your Toodledo syncing apps? I'm looking for one to fit my needs; I've been using Toodledo app solely, but am intrigued by others, such as Taska and 2Do, and am open to a change.

So to start off, here's my own evaluation:

Toodledo App Pros
- 1st party app with best knowledge for implementing Toodledo-website features (e.g. subtasks)
- support for GTD
- universal binary that runs on both iPhone and iPad
- clean, simple interface containing powerful customization
- overall very functional

Cons
- interface not engaging and aesthetically pleasing
- not free, but still affordable
- lacks notebook feature (which is ok in my book...don't want to tap too many times just to get to my to do list)
- iPad interface not making use of the larger screen size

For me, I'm looking for an app that makes full use of the Toodledo website features and one that makes good use of form + function. Toodledo's app scores on the first point, but interface is not nice. 2Do's interface is nice, but lacks full GTD support (lacks context), which won't do for me. Taska claims full GTD support, but seems buggy and risky this early in development; I question whether they are fully committed to developing their app over its lifetime (since they had another app that they abandoned, but continue to sell).

Toodledo's app just isn't fun to use anymore knowing there are apps with thoughtful UI such as 2Do out there. But I'm still sticking with it for now since fuction is still priority.
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next