ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Jay"
Jay

Posted Jan 29, 2009 in: IM usage?
Score: 0
  • Jay
  • Posted: Jan 29, 2009
  • Score: 0
See http://www.toodledo.com/info/help_twitter.php. If you want to use your IM client, I'm not sure. But there ought to be a way to do it via twitter. If you figure it out, let me know.
Jay

• Jay
  • Posted: Jan 27, 2009
I like this idea too. You can almost do it today with Advanced Search. But within Advanced Search, you don't get QuickSearch or iPhone access. Having Favorites is nice and frees up Advanced Search for more let's say "advanced" (as opposed to favorite) topics.
Jay

Posted Jan 23, 2009 in: Twitter via IM Client?
  • Jay
  • Posted: Jan 23, 2009
The twitter connection is pretty cool. Is there a way I can access this via Yahoo Instant Messenger client?
Jay

Posted Jan 15, 2009 in: How to do proper delegation
  • Jay
  • Posted: Jan 15, 2009
Great suggestion. I have same issue.
Jay

Posted Jan 10, 2009 in: Urgent vs Important
Score: 1
  • Jay
  • Posted: Jan 10, 2009
  • Score: 1
That's not a bad idea. Even better would be if the star could have 3 states because there are degrees of urgency. I imagine it as a 3-state toggle (rather than another droplist) that toggles between red, yellow, blank (meaning high, med, low).

Only issue is I've been using star for quick ad hoc task manipulation. It works great for this. Sometimes I need to eyeball my tasks and quickly star a bunch for some temporary purpose:

* For example, I might be in some unusual context, and decide best use of my time is to quickly run down the tasks, star a bunch of them that are relevant in this unusual context, and then work heads down on these starred items for awhile (filter by star, work through them, and when done, unstar any remaining items because it was a temporary setting).

* Or I might decide I need to get organized, and all tasks related to project xyz need to go into a new xyz folder. So I run through the tasks, starring the ones related to this project. This makes it much easier to do a mass update to the new folder (and unstar them when done).
Jay

Posted Jan 10, 2009 in: Quick Add tasks to Toodledo in iPhone
  • Jay
You can also add a task with voice using dial2do. It's free. After setup, all you need to do is call dial2do on your iPhone (or any phone) and say "email" then say "toodledo" then say whatever your task is. It will get transcribed into text (plus save a copy of your voice recording in case you were mumbling), and sent it to your toodledo account. Only issue is I haven't figured out how to say things like @, #, !, etc. so it doesn't understand the toodledo language.
Jay

Posted Jan 10, 2009 in: Urgent vs Important
Score: 4
  • Jay
  • Score: 4
I like to distinguish between urgent tasks vs important tasks (as in The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People). Urgent tasks have to be done relatively soon. Important tasks are the ones you need to do to achieve your goals.

I use due date to capture a task's urgency. And I use priority to capture a task's importance (irrespective of urgency). It works pretty well. It makes it less likely that important tasks will get lost among all the urgent ones (and visa versa). And whatever my context, I can quickly switch between urgent mode vs importance mode by sorting on due date or priority.

Since I am using due date in a somewhat artificial manner, I have these issues, but they are not too bad:
1. Sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between a real due date vs one I imposed to express urgency.
2. Sometimes I have to reset due dates on a bunch of tasks if they didn't get done on that day, and this causes a domino effect of resetting dates on subsequent tasks.

The ideal way to solve this would be to have an additional field similar to priority. I would use one to indicate urgency (high, med, low), and the other to indicate importance (high, med, low). Then due date would only be for real due dates. I suppose I could use a tag to indicate urgency, but then I lose the ability to sort by urgency because there are other tags.

BTW, I like the idea of an algorithm (like the importance algorithm) that takes into consideration a number of factors, but I wouldn't call it an importance algorithm. In my world importance is an essential characteristic of a task. However, I could see an algorithm that would take importance, urgency, and due date into consideration, and derive a priority (priority being more subjective). But maybe that's just semantics :-).

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing if anyone else needs to distinguish between urgent tasks vs important tasks and how they are doing it. And if they run into same issues I'm having or not.
Jay

Posted Jan 10, 2009 in: Importance
  • Jay
Thanks found it. For those that are interested it, I am pasting it here as well to save others from searching:

Importance = 2+P+S+D

P=priority
S=is it starred (0 or 1)
D=0 if due-date is non-existent or further than 14 days out, 1 if due-date is between 7 and 14 days out, 2 if due-date is between 2 and 7 days out, 3 if due-date is tomorrow, 5 if due-date is today, and 6 if overdue
Jay

Posted Jan 09, 2009 in: Sharing Tasklist with Boss
  • Jay
  • Posted: Jan 09, 2009
I'm using the Collaboration feature and I can see completed tasks for people I am collaborating with. You need to click Filters and then Show Recently Completed.

I'm not sure there are any reports, but you can do an advanced search to get the view you want to send to your boss and then print.
Jay

Posted Jan 08, 2009 in: Worlds Collide
  • Jay
  • Posted: Jan 08, 2009
Yes Saved Searches are great. There are just a few things holding me back from really going hog wild with them:
* Not on iPhone
* No QuickSearch
* No ability to re-order the tabs

I think if these features were there, I would use Saved Search as my main entry point.
Jay

Posted Jan 08, 2009 in: Importance
  • Jay
FWIW, here is what I think would make a good importance algorithm:

1. First, take items that are either top priority or due today and sort by priority
2. Then, take remaining items due within next 2 days and sort by priority
3. Then, take remaining items due within next 7 days and sort by priority.
4. Then, take remaining items due within next 30 days and sort by priority.
5. Then, take remaining items and sort by priority (i.e, more than 30days out and priority is more important even if no due date is set).

Rather than labeling things Importance Level 1, Level 2, etc., label them something like:
1. Top or Today
2. Next 2 Days
3. Next 7 Days
4. Next 30 Days
5. Remaining Items

This is essentially sorted by due date but with 3 variations that make all the difference:
* Due date trumps priority when due date is imminent
* Priority trumps due date when due date is not imminent
* Top priority or due today trumps everything
Jay

Posted Jan 08, 2009 in: People as Contexts
  • Jay
Anyone have this issue? I work with a lot of people and throughout the day/week, I collect things that I need to discuss with various people. If I can't do it right now, I'll add it as a task in Toodledo to "discuss ___ with ___". If I make each person a context, then next time I see that person I can easily find all the things I need to discuss with that person. In many ways a person is a context as there are tasks I can do only when I am with that person and I don't want to see them when I'm in a different context.

Anyone else doing something like this? Or have other ideas on how to handle this?
Jay

Posted Jan 08, 2009 in: Importance
  • Jay
Does anyone know what is the algorithm for sorting by importance? I like the idea of taking both due date and priority into account. And maybe even considering things like items with a due date modifier being less important than those with a standard due date (though I don't know if that is taken into account or not). I've been sorting by importance and having pretty good luck with it despite not understanding the algorithm. But occasionally, it baffles me by putting something way down on the list that I consider pretty important and I can't figure out why. So now I've switched to sorting by Due Date and within that by Priority. It's not bad. But I'm wondering, what am I missing by doing this instead of sorting by Importance?
Jay

Posted Jan 08, 2009 in: Worlds Collide
  • Jay
I am loving Toodledo and I'm now using it for both home and work items. But now my two worlds are colliding :-). It's great to manage both in one system. And sometimes I do want to see personal tasks when I'm at work (e.g, schedule doctor appt). And sometimes I need to see certain work tasks at home (e.g., prep for 8am meeting tomorrow, yikes!). But most of the time I don't want things mixed up. (Personal items get in the way at work, and it's a real bummer to be reminded of work items when doing personal projects at home).

Sure, I could separate them with Folders. But when I go in by due date or status, I see everything. I suppose another option is to have 2 accounts. But it's kind of clunky to do that. For one thing, the iPhone interface doesn't make it easy to switch accounts. Sure, you can go into settings, but you have to type in username/password each time. Maybe if there was a simple toggle between accounts that would do it. Also, I understand there is a way to share tasks across accounts for the occasional task that I do want to see on my other account, though I think you have to know to look for it (i.e., it won't just show up on the hotlist). Or I could just enter the task twice if I really need it in both systems.

Anyone else having problems with their worlds colliding? Any suggestions?
Jay

Posted Jan 05, 2009 in: Reorder Columns
Score: -1
  • Jay
  • Posted: Jan 05, 2009
  • Score: -1
Me too.