ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by bartlett.jason"
bartlett.jason

Posted Mar 25, 2010 in: Good Bye from Proximo
Score: 0
Proximo:

Thanks for your contributions to the Toodledo forums. I've been a GTD user for many years and have struggled with Toodledo as a pure GTD application. Your GTD thread and examples helped me create a Toodledo configuration that is much more effective.

I've been checking the developments on Nirvana over the last several months and it is improving and has the potential to set the bar much higher for GTD applications.

Good luck and thanks for your help.

Jason...
bartlett.jason

Posted Aug 28, 2009 in: Nested subtasks and other updates.
Sweet upgrades. Much easier to work with subtasks when indented.

Thanks for fixing the "&" problem in saved searches.
bartlett.jason

Posted Jul 18, 2009 in: Search not saving "&" character
I've created search to find all tasks that start with the string "R&A" (minus the quotes) short for Review and Apply.

The search works OK, as expected. However, when I save it ToodleDo saves only the "R" and truncates the "&A" so next time I run it my search ends up finding all tasks with and "r" in them which is kinda useless. Setting the search clause to "begins with" give the same behaviour.

I assume this is a bug or "&" is a reserved character.

Is there a workaround for this or does anyone know what the single character wildcard is?

* I opened a ticket for this, which I will delete if I get an answer here *

TIA,
bartlett.jason

Posted Jul 16, 2009 in: Search bug - or just me?
I've created search to find all tasks that start with the string "R&A" (minus the quotes) short for Review and Apply.

The search works OK, as expected. However, when I save it ToodleDo saves only the "R" and truncates the "&A" so next time I run it my search ends up finding all tasks with and "r" in them which is kinda useless.

I assume this is a bug or "&" is a reserved character.

Does anyone know a workaround for this or what the single character wildcard is?

Thx,

Area51Resident
bartlett.jason

Posted May 07, 2009 in: subtasks only go down one level?
Posted by HansD:
Posted by bartlett.jason:
What I would really like to see in Toodledo is a way to properly filter to real "Next Actions". For example if I have 4 subtasks under a task, a filter option that would only show one of them. I haven't been able to come up with a way to make a search query that shows me only one "Next Action" per project (without manually adjusting other tasks when I complete one.

Well, ToDo can show you what the next actions are - as you have indicated what they are, eg by using the status field.

What you are looking for - and many others - is to have ToDo work out when an task can be switched to a Next Action state, either by having the nesting/hierarchy of tasks, sequnetials etc. Thus a more active approach.

In case of a nested taskset, must Toodledo than switch the status of the parent task to Next Action? Seems to me this must only be done in special cases, eg when then status of the direct parent has NA on completion of subtaks or so, as I prefer my apps do not make too much assumptions.

The other ways could be that it has already a status Next Action, but this is temporary 'blocked' because it has incompleted subtasks.
But here again, I might want to show these kind of tasks also as next action where you don't.

HansD:

I agree that you wouldn't want too much automation to control the visibility of Next Actions. I'm only looking for a view/filter option where just one Next Action per Project/Subtask be visible.

Let's consider a basic group of tasks and subtasks:

TaskGroup1
- SubTask A
- SubTask B
- SubTask C

TaskGroup2
- SubTask X
- SubTask Y
- SubTask Z

Note: All tasks are marked as "Next Actions".

In my "Next Actions Only" view only SubTask C and SubTask Z would show. If SubTask C was marked complete and the view refreshed then only SubTask B and SubTask Z would show.

This not a change in how T'Do works right now AFAIK but just a special kind of view or search that shows only the last Next Action in a set of subtasks. Ideally this would be checkbox that would modify many or all of the existing views.

This message was edited May 07, 2009.
bartlett.jason

Posted May 06, 2009 in: subtasks only go down one level?
Score: 2
I think the primary reason people are looking for deeper task nesting is to impose a structure or sequence to the tasks.

In typical Gantt chart style project plans you work through the tasks from left to right with the individual tasks, required to complete a roll-up or milestone task, indented to many levels - usually to indicate dependency or sequence of execution. Most WBS plans would have multiple levels of indent/subtask to define each small step or specific task.

In the Outlining, Mindmapping and GTD world, your plan starts with the result and then lists each of the smaller steps (Next Actions) required to reach the result.

The end result of either methodology is the same. A main task that is accomplished by completing several smaller tasks, with the tasks linked in some sort of sequence or flow.

Where Toodledo is lacking is in the ability to link or assign a sequence to tasks so that you can filter to just "what needs to be done first". Or just real "Next Actions" in GTD parlance.

Vitalist does this reasonably well. You can define projects and many levels of sub task. The "Next Actions" filter shows you only the top task under each sub level (rather than all of them. You have to re-arrange tasks to put tasks you have to work on first at the top of the list, which is a little awkward. I would prefer that it showed the most important task (based on criteria like: oldesthighest priority/closest due date/start date) first and if they were all equal then the one at the bottom of the list as the "Next Action".

What I would really like to see in Toodledo is a way to properly filter to real "Next Actions". For example if I have 4 subtasks under a task, a filter option that would only show one of them. I haven't been able to come up with a way to make a search query that shows me only one "Next Action" per project (without manually adjusting other tasks when I complete one.

T'do also needs a better way to identify projects as "owners" of other tasks similar to the way Vitalist lets you nest projects and task "groups" within one "project" field/drop-down.
bartlett.jason

Posted Apr 20, 2009 in: Toodledo is not for GTD
Interesting discussion and many good points raised. I've been GTD devotee for several years. Most of those years I have been using MindManager (for mind maps, project planning and keeping track track of "stuff") and Results Manager and GyroQ, as well as the "official" GTD add-on for Outlook. For me this is the best combination of tools possible for a "single" computer work style. These are also very expensive - the whole package runs about $800.

MindJet lets you map out projects, tasks and subtasks easily without limitation of levels or nesting. Results Manager is the "killer" add-on that will search all of your maps and give you a GTD dashboard that shows only actionable tasks organized by due date and project and "Relationship Central" which shows who I Owe and Who Owes Me as well as contexts etc. GryroQ is your desktop instant capture device that feeds items into your maps along with project and context meta data.

I've been using Toodledo for the last few months, primarily because I'm frequently switching between computers and needed something that was "in the cloud".

No question that Toodledo is great tool and in my opinion the best compromise available today between a complete GTD implementation, in the "cloud" and integration with other apps (FF Sidebar and GCal for example).

Where I think Toodledo is lacking is the current limitations of projects, tasks and subtasks. There is least one level of hierarchy missing here. It really needs to have a Project, tasks and subordinate tasks structure that supports dependencies, parallel and subordinate tasks like MindJet or MS Project.

One of the key foundations of the GTD system is that for your to-do list to be useful it has only actionable items on it. If the Project is "Buy Milk" and the task is "Drive to Store" with subordinate tasks being "Get coat" and Get Keys" - I should only see "Get Keys" and "Get Coat" as actionable items. I find this is really hard to do easily with Toodledo because I can't easily make "Drive to Store" disappear from the list until the other two tasks have been completed.

Since Toodledo is limited to a three level hierarchy if my plan needs to change (drive to ATM before the store) I can't delineate this in any meaningful way without having to remember ATM BEFORE Milk Store. Which is contrary to the whole point of the GTD and being able to specify and an order or sequence of actions so you can separate the planning from the doing.

Toodledo is great product and I hope the dev team has a plan for adding levels to the Project/task/Subtask hierarchy.
bartlett.jason

Posted Mar 02, 2009 in: Toodldo web page and Google don't match
Yes!

Works OK in GCal, iGoogle and the Firefox sidebar now.

Thanks for the quick response.
bartlett.jason

Posted Feb 27, 2009 in: Toodldo web page and Google don't match
I've been using Toodledo for a couple of weeks now and it has been great until yesterday.

What I see on the Toodledo web page is no longer matching what is shown in the iGoogle app or Google calender gadget. I get the same results in iGoogle and the GCal Gadget - so I'll just call them "Google" to save keystrokes.

My webpage Hotlist has 17 items, the Google listing is zero (0).

When I click on the "Due Dates >" filter it shows zero (0) items for Overdue, but when I click on that line it side scrolls and shows me all 8 over due items. Every date range shows zero except for "No Due-dates" and "Any Due-date" even though there are tasks due in mot date ranges.

Yesterday I added four or five tasks using the Add Multiple Tasks option - these tasks went into the system in duplicate (two of each) after I deleted the duplicates I notice the above problem.

Is there any way to refresh, re-sync, or re-index or whatever is required to get the web page and Google apps back in sync?

One last question - I had tried unsubscribing and re-adding the Google gadget for the calendar, whenever I add the Toodledo Google gadget it gets set with a time zone of GMT-8 PST, even though my account settings are GMT-5 EST, any way to chnage this setting?

If this should be sent to support rather than this forum I will delete this topic.

Thanks,

Jason...
bartlett.jason

Posted Feb 03, 2009 in: Print task list in Google calendar
Toodledo

Thanks for the definitive response.

I hope that roll-ahead on incomplete tasks via iCal does get implemented. Sometimes there is no substitute for a printed calendar and task list.
bartlett.jason

Alisa:

Thanks for the help with the iCal sync. I now have my tasks showing in the printable Google Calendar.

There is one issue with it though. It doesn't move incomplete tasks ahead to today, they show on the due date even if it is in the past. For example: I have an incomplete task due Jan 30th. In the Toodledo list it shows in today's task list, but in the iCal calendar it shows on Jan 30th only (not today).

Any ideas on how to get it roll-ahead incomplete tasks to today?
bartlett.jason

Is it possible to have tasks printed in Google Calendar? It does put in a box that says "Task for Feb 2" but doesn't list the tasks due that day (or any tasks).

I know I can print the list from Toodledo, but I want to have the day or week agenda and tasks on paper so I can carry it with me on one or two pages - rather than two different documents.

I got the same results with Toodledo and RTM so I'm thinking it is a Google Calendar problem. I'm posting the queation hear because this is more active forum and I thought I'd have better chnace at getting an answer - the Google forums seems to be a graveyard for unanswered questions.

TIA.

Jason...