• Score: 0
+1; please!
jquark

Score: 0
  • jquark
  • Posted: Jun 17, 2010
Hi Jason,

I am a python user and am very interested in your script. Would you be willing to share it? I could of course leave a credit to you in the source code and certainly wouldn't distribute it without your consent. Thanks! This is a great thread; I haven't fully taken advantage of the email feature to date.
jquark

Posted Dec 01, 2009 in: Offline access via HTML5
Score: 1
  • jquark
  • Posted: Dec 01, 2009
  • Score: 1
Hello all,

I know Toodledo has been experimenting with Google Gears for a while now. It seems that HTML5 will have built in tags for offline storage. I have no idea how useful this will be to make toodledo available offline but I think it is worth exploring. Google has so much faith in it that they are abandoning the Gears plugin. Check this out:
http://lifehacker.com/5416331/google-says-adios-to-gears-hola-to-html5?utm_source=feedburner&utm_med ium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lifehacker%2Ffull+(Lifehacker)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Thanks again Toodledo for all your hard work. If this makes your life easier I will be a very happy camper.
jquark

Posted Nov 14, 2009 in: Manual Sorting of Subtasks.
  • jquark
  • Posted: Nov 14, 2009
Freaking amazing. I second all of Don's comments above. Thanks Toodledo. Your continued support and obvious passion for this product make me feel like I am contributing to something real with my Pro account. Cheers!
jquark

Posted Sep 18, 2009 in: Saved Search and Subtasks
  • jquark
  • Posted: Sep 18, 2009
Posted by Anders:
Posted by jquark:
No problem but I am actually hopeful that there is a better work around than that. I like the "indented" view as well and don't want to have to change my filters all the time. I, too, use saved searches for next actions etc. Anybody know if we are missing something?

There is not a perfect workaround. If you describe the particular search, I can see if there are any tricks you could use there, but it isn't always possible. With Stars, I don't mind just Starring parents when a subtask is Starred and I want to use Indented, but it is trickier with other fields (especially dates). What do you think of my suggestion posted here?: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/3127/-16599/flattened-vs-indented.html

Great idea on the link. I really hope toodledo implements this. In the mean time I will try your suggestion of starred parent tasks if the subtask is starred. Thanks!
jquark

• jquark
No problem but I am actually hopeful that there is a better work around than that. I like the "indented" view as well and don't want to have to change my filters all the time. I, too, use saved searches for next actions etc. Anybody know if we are missing something?
jquark

• jquark
I have the same problem. The subtasks will appear if you mark "flattened" on your filters. I, however, love the new "indented" view and would love to see a way for subtasks to be shown automatically in searches. Anyone have a workaround?
jquark

Posted Sep 16, 2009 in: Goals: How do you use them?
  • jquark
  • Posted: Sep 16, 2009
@benny:

I use goals similar to the fashion you described. I am a research scientists and juggle about 2-5 VERY large projects (each taking about a year or so; perhaps longer). I then take a page out of Proximo's setup (see thread in this forum) in which he has an "actions" and a "projects" folder (you can name these anything you like, one is for single action tasks the other for projects with multiple steps). So for a given "goal" (or Large project), I have multiple step small projects in my projects folder and single tasks in the actions folder (I will leave it to the Proximo thread to show the merits of this). I make sure all tasks and subtasks are labeled with the appropriate goal. Then, if I want to see what a large project entails I just do a custom search for a given goal. I really like this system because I can use short term goals for papers, medium term goals for unifying concepts like "Complete Thesis", and long term goals for the life altering stuff.
jquark

Posted Aug 30, 2009 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: 2
  • jquark
  • Posted: Aug 30, 2009
  • Score: 2
@wjlynch: I am also interested in your question; just bumping up the topic so a few more people may see this.

Also, Thanks all for your input in this thread. As for my earlier question I have so far used "goals" to connect large projects (projects with sub projects and actions). This has been great so far. With the multi-tiered goal system in place with toodledo, I can also see how everything fits together.
jquark

Posted Aug 30, 2009 in: Understanding "Next Actions"
  • jquark
  • Posted: Aug 30, 2009
Hello All,

Great thread here. Proximo, let me first thank you again for your GTD setup thread. So I see each of you (Claudio and Proximo's) points with regards to "next action". Something always bothered me about having so many "next actions"- Proximo's approach seems like a nice fix. However, I also realize it may/may not be exactly "correct" under the GTD next action definition. My question is this- I almost always work under projects with many subtasks. Claudio, you mentioned how Proximo could break some of his "tasks" into small projects. I see the power in this- that you literally break things down until you just have to DO them rather than think about what comes next. I also see a problem with this power- at what level do you stop breaking up actions? For instance, if I had an action called "write letter to grandma" I could easily break this down into:
1) Get pen, paper, and envelope
2) Write message
3) Seal envelope and attach stamp
4) Address envelope
5) Mail letter

The problem I see with this is that I could spend a good deal of my day breaking down my tasks- in fact having hundreds and hundreds of small projects that might become overwhelming and harder to manage. Do any of you have some good guidelines for when to stop breaking down tasks? Thanks!
jquark

Posted Aug 25, 2009 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: 2
  • jquark
  • Posted: Aug 25, 2009
  • Score: 2
Posted by Linden:

If you have a giant project that has multi-step sub-projects, it might work as a context of it's own, e.g. @BigProject. The sub-projects would be parent tasks in the Projects folder, and the tasks to get them to completion would be subtasks also in the Projects folder. If you had a standalone task belonging to @BigProject, you would set it to that context but in the Actions folder. That way you know it isn't linked to anything.

Hello all! Great thread and I have incorporated much of Proximo's system into my own. I have one final question in regards to what Linden and others have touched on. I am in academia and have several large research projects that make up 90% of my "work" context. Within these large projects there are subprojects and single tasks. Many days, I want to focus on ONE of these major projects and thus want a view that can show all subprojects/tasks for a given major project. I have thought of three different ways:

1) Context- as Linden pointed out above, I could have separate contexts for each major project (I juggle no more than 3-4 at a time. I am a graduate student now but I see this number increasing in the future).

2) Tag- Label all actions/projects within a given major project with the same tag. I could then search for all tasks with a given tag.

3) Goal- I could have goals of "Complete Project X" or "Submit Paper X" and assign all actions and projects this goal. I could then search by goal.

I am relatively new to GTD and have not decided on which of these three approaches to take. Does anyone have any pros/cons for the three tactics. Which of the three most closely resembles the GTD system? Thanks in advance!
jquark

Posted Jul 17, 2009 in: Minimize Sidebar - (New Userstyle)
  • jquark
  • Posted: Jul 17, 2009
Uhm, me want! Can we use it? Is it with Stylish?
jquark

Posted Jun 23, 2009 in: Subtasks nested and toggled?
  • jquark
  • Posted: Jun 23, 2009
Thanks Anders! Congrats on your new position as well. I searched for "subtasks nested toggle" and other variants and got zero hits. I don't know what the search algorithm is- perhaps it just looks at the titles?
jquark

Posted Jun 23, 2009 in: Subtasks nested and toggled?
  • jquark
  • Posted: Jun 23, 2009
Hello all...

Searched a bit for this to no avail. Is there a way for my default settings (when in folder view for example) to be for nest AND shown subtasks; i.e., I would like to see the parent tasks and the subtasks indented and underneath them as a default with nothing to click. Thanks in advance for any help.
jquark

Posted Jun 16, 2009 in: Customizable reminders/alarms
  • jquark
  • Posted: Jun 16, 2009
Oh. My. God. Uhmm, yeah, I'm done; just went Pro and not turning back! Thank you!
jquark

Posted Apr 17, 2009 in: Updates to due dates and start dates
  • jquark
  • Posted: Apr 17, 2009
I am a newcomer to Toodledo (just about two weeks from now) and a convert from Remember the Milk. This thread simply blows me away. Thank you Toodledo for working to improve your product and LISTENING to your costumers- something RTM simply doesn't do. It's amazing when a company realizes its costumers are an asset. You have developed an actual rapport with your costumer base that has proven to be mutually beneficial. It's updates and responses like these that show you take pride in your work and are hard working. In short, thank you. I am a grad student and need to wait until next month to afford a Pro account (even though it a very small fee). Rest assured, I and many others are willing to pay money for a company that cares about the functionality of its product and genuinely listens to its costumers. Cheers!