ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by gwendolynrose"
gwendolynrose

Posted Jun 01, 2009 in: When do you define "next action #2"?
Score: 0
Thanks, Big KC and TheGriff, for the great information.

Like Big KC, I keep any "not yet a next action" tasks without a context (but put them in a project folder) to capture them. That way, they are not prematurely on my Context list (which is what I work off of during the day). However, I must admit that I neglect the brainstorming phase, which will probably address my question.

TheGriff -- Since I am fairly new to GTD, too, I understand wanting to skim the project list daily. I do that, too. I have noticed that the more I learn to trust the GTD system, the more I can trust that I am not missing anything. At first, I felt like I needed to review everything daily, just because I did not have my system fine-turned yet. Now that I know I have a good, dependable system, I will do a "quick scan" just to give my added peace of mind....but I know I will be ok if I don't.

Thanks, again!
gwendolynrose

Posted May 31, 2009 in: Daily Processing
Score: 2
I've found that it is essential to keep the "Processing" and "Weekly Review" tasks separate. As the title of your post indicates, "daily processing" means you have to do it daily or else the backlog will start to make your system unreliable. By making "in-to-empty" a priority each day (two days at the most), I know I can ignore the in-box until the next morning without worry. But if you let it slide for 3 or 4 days, you start having to think about what is sitting in the in-box.

I find that early morning (right after I wake up) is the best time for me to process whatever has landed in my in-box during the last 24 hours. It really doesn't take long if you are dealing with only 1 day's worth of stuff. I have to look at my calendar to plan my day anyway, so quickly processing items is not a big burden.

I also have a Toodledo default that puts all new tasks in a Context called "@Processing." This catches any emails I forward to Toodledo and the items that I just quickly want to enter, but do not have time to assign specific folders/contexts. Any time I have a spare moment at my computer, I glance at the @Processing context to see if there is anything I can quickly process. That, too, reduces the daily processing time....and keeps new items from getting lost in Toodledo. (I know you can look for items that have "no context" or "no folder" in Toodledoo. It is just more intuitive to me for all new, unprocessed tasks to go to a specific spot that I have identified as my need-to-process spot.)
gwendolynrose

Posted May 31, 2009 in: When do you define "next action #2"?
Score: 0
Hi,

I am new to Toodledo, and am thrilled to find such a great online task mangager!

I have a GTD question that I cannot figure out. When you finish a "next action," do you immediately stop what you are doing to put the new next action on your n/a list? Do you just wait until your weekly review?

For example: If pretend you are planning a birthday party, there will be many next actions involved. Using GTD, you would NOT make a list of all of them at once. Instead, you would identify "Have birthday party for John" as the project, and "Call John to select date for party" as next action #1. After I mark "Call John" as a completed task, then what?

Sometimes it is not practical or possible to stop everything to think about "what is the very next physical action, now that I have called John?" However, if I do not immediately replace "Call John" with another next action, I may not do so until my weekly review several days later. (Meanwhile, I could have been doing more "next actions.") Do you review your completed tasks as part of your daily "processing" to remind you to create new next steps? (I like to delete/hide my completed tasks to get rid of the clutter on my computer screen....so I won't necessarily see them after marking them as "complete.")

I know this is a simplistic example, but you get the idea. I find myself thinking about "next action #2" (which is not yet written in my next action list or in my master project list) which defeats the purpose of getting all off my mind.

Until I get proficient with GTD, I am following David Allen's suggestions literally. (I will then be better able to change them to suit my specific needs.) I don't think I've heard David Allen mention this specific issue.

Thanks in advance!