ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
Kara Monroe

Posted Jun 20, 2010 in: struggling with Due Dates
Score: 0
@bdws1975,

I think you have to make what works for you in GTD. Remember - GTD is just a framework to help you build the system that's right for you. For instance, you may still use your practice of writing your daily "to do" list - but that list is going to be taken from your list of all next actions and is just simply a small breakdown of those items for you to get done first, or perhaps no matter what, on that day so you don't have to think about it. Remember - the big guiding principle of GTD is to get everything out of your head and from all the other sources where you're keeping it and putting it into one single system that you know and trust.

With that said, your question on due dates, I think requires you to determine how you're going to work best. For me, an expense report is a project - it is not a next action. However, that project has four next actions. It requires reviewing my calendar for all expensed activities, reviewing and gathering all receipts, completing the appropriate paperwork and then submitting the expense report. Those four tasks for me don't have due dates so they wouldn't go on my calendar. However, the actual submission of the expense report would go on my calendar because it has a hard due date. That also gives me reassurance (as I trust my calendar more than I trust anything) that it won't fall through the cracks of my massive project/next actions lists (I routinely have about 70 active projects at a time as I have a large team so I'm tracking progress on delegated projects as well.).
Hope that helps.