ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
ken

Posted Aug 10, 2013 in: wierd warning in chrome browser
Score: 2
  • ken
  • Posted: Aug 10, 2013
  • Score: 2
Found this thread searching around because I saw the same error using Chrome on a Mac and and two Win 7 machines. Not sure what extension was causing it on the Mac (don't have that machine any more), but discovered it was Ad Block Plus on my Win7 laptop. I don't think I have Ad Block Plus on the other Win7 machine, so I'll have to investigate more.

My solution: I white-listed toodledo.com in Ad Block Plus and the Warning went away.

But it does seem that providing a user with an option to click to Disable a warning is meaningless if the user cannot use that method.

This isn't a new issue:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/11576/-56550/read.html

I understand the need to inform users of potential problems (and appreciate that). But it's probably better to not provide an option to dismiss the warning if the warning isn't going to be dismissed. That just confuses/frustrates/annoys your users. The "check engine light" example used in the thread I linked above doesn't really apply in this context. It is communicating a warning only. There is no option (for the driver) to dismiss the check engine light in any car I've driven.

I think the warning is good. I don't like being shown an option that doesn't work. Maybe a UI/communication issue to consider. Just a suggestion.
ken

Posted May 20, 2011 in: 3rd Party Apps for Toodledo
Score: 0
  • ken
  • Posted: May 20, 2011
  • Score: 0
Great to see this. Nicely organized.

One suggestion: if you are going to allow users to rate each app (stars), you need to provide the # of ratings. Otherwise and app with 5 stars (with 3 people rating it) appears much higher ranked than an app with 4.5 stars ranked by 100 people. The current display offers no way to tell the difference.
ken

Score: 1
  • ken
  • Score: 1
I was a long-time GotToDo user and had become very used to it. I rarely had problems that others reported here and I considered GtD one of my "must have" apps - since I depend on Toodledo. Being a tinkerer by nature, I had checked out Ultimate Todo awhile ago and hated it. The interface was not pretty and it seemed to lag pretty bad.

Then I saw the announcement about Andy not developing GtD any more and knew it was time to look for a replacement. I considered just using GtD in its current version since I wasn't having any issues with it, but there were a couple features I felt were missing (tag support and notebooks). Neither feature was a deal-breaker for me, but I would have placed them high on my wish list.

After reading some recent posts on here, I decided to give Ultimate To-do list another try. I am glad I did. The lag issues I was seeing before are completely gone (I'm on an HTC Incredible) and the app just works for. I mean it is solid on my phone and I haven't seen any sync weirdness at all after using it daily for the last month or so.

While it's true the interface isn't nearly as slick as most of the other choices out there, the functionality is deep, reliable and flexible. Ultimate Todo isn't perfect - exiting the app is somewhat strange (you cannot really exit the app as far as I can tell, and continual presses of the Back button don't always produce expected results) and there is no way to create a quick filter view (where you could filter tasks in such a way as to just see them now. Ultimate Todo requires setting up a specific view that you have to save. I sometimes miss GtD's ability to filter whatever current view you are on. The filter would "stick" until you cleared it, but you didn't have to create a new filter/view each time and save that.

Neither quirk above is enough to make me look elsewhere, and the functionality and solid performance of Ultimate Todo makes me glad I switched.
ken

Posted May 20, 2011 in: TaskAngel 2.0 Released
  • ken
OK. I found my registration and re-entered it and now TaskAngel is registered. Not a big deal I suppose, but you might want to either have the upgrade pull in the existing registration or notify users they will have to re-enter. Stating "this download can be used to update it, without disturbing the registration" is a little misleading.
ken

Posted May 20, 2011 in: TaskAngel 2.0 Released
  • ken
Do I have to purchase the upgrade? The website says otherwise, and nothing was mentioned in our post. I downloaded the 2.0 Upgrade and now appears TaskAngel is no longer registered.

Website states:
Installation Notes

If you already have a registered version of TaskAngel, this download can be used to update it, without disturbing the registration.
http://www.mypocketsoft.com/taskangel/download.aspx
ken

• ken
  • Posted: Sep 14, 2010
I've read this post, and the post you linked to, and I'm still not clear what you are asking for. I *think* I like what you are suggesting, but if I'm not clear, perhaps the devs aren't clear either.

Reminder: just because something is obvious to you, it may not be to others. I would have thought that was obvious. ;)
ken

• ken
  • Posted: Sep 14, 2010
If I click on Any Due-Date, I get a list of all my tasks. This is counter-intuitive to how I interpret "Any Due Date." I take Any Due Date to mean "any task that has a due value" - any task with a non null due date field.

It appears the design is set up so that the left-most tab will show all tasks, regardless what view the user is on. So for Due-Date you have Any Due-Date, and for Contexts you have All Contexts. The problem is that there is a No Due Date and No Context field. This sets up the expectation that when you see "Any N", you will see all tasks that have at least one N (where N = due date, tag, context, etc.)

Currently, what these All/Any tags really mean is "All Tasks" *NOT* All/Any tag/context/due date/etc. Oddly enough, with Folders, you have a No Folders tag and an All Tasks tab - correctly labeled.

I'd like to request that we get the functionality of correctly interpreting "any" such that the Any Due-Date tab, for example, displays all tasks that have a due date - and tasks without a due date will be hidden on this tab.

If this functionality is not feasible (or perhaps in the meantime), please update the tab labels to be "All Tasks" when displaying all tasks. It is misleading to have a view/tab named All Contexts that lists items with no context.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2010.
ken

Posted Jul 09, 2010 in: Toodledo, GotToDo and the competition
  • ken
  • Posted: Jul 09, 2010
Another review of Toodledo and GotToDo combination:

The Best Android GTD (Getting Things Done) App is: [Droid vs. Droid] | chrissmith | Androinica
http://androinica.com/2010/06/30/the-best-android-gtd-getting-things-done-app-is-droid-vs-droid/
ken

Posted Jul 01, 2010 in: A little fire underneath your seat
Score: 2
  • ken
  • Posted: Jul 01, 2010
  • Score: 2
Some interesting points in this thread, as well as interpretations of the poll.

I'm not so sure I buy into the idea that if paper and pen came in first, that is a reflection on the electronic options out there. That sounds like a fundamental difference in preferences/work style where the "analog crowd" is sticking to a paradigm that works for them. It's rare to read about someone who desperately wants to use *some* kind of digital task/GTD solution, but the offerings are so lacking, he/she *settles* for paper and pen. The analog fans like using paper and pen. For the vast majority of paper and pen users, that is their first choice.

Like a few that have posted, I really like the Toodledo interface. I came from RTM - though I was never a heavy RTM user. Frankly, I *hate* that interface. I could never get used to how RTM works. Just not for me. I recently came back to Toodledo after a short break (tried getting by with Outlook tasks again - and failed). For some reason, I decided to try the Multi-line format - I had always used the Grid layout in TD. And Multi-line is working for me right now. I'm really liking the cleaner interface when all the tasks are collapsed and I can zero in on a few specific items as needed.

And that is one of the beautiful things about Toodledo - it is immensely flexible. The difference between Multi-line and Grid view fundamentally changes the way data is displayed and how I work with that data. How many other web-based apps allow that? For that matter, how many desktop apps allow that?

I know Toodledo isn't perfect, and there are things that I wish were higher priorities instead of working on things that I don't care about - because (me! me! me!) I want (me! me!) what I want for me. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with Toodledo and happy with the development and direction the app is taking. For the things that I'd like to see improved, I will respectfully continue to ask about.

Here's something I read the other day from Topic: subtasks only go down one level? (http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1247/-8875/subtasks-only-go-down-one-level.html)
Posted by Toodledo (Apr 30, 2009):
I really don't want to lose a customer, but if you need 7 levels of nested hierarchy, I don't think Toodledo is the right tool for you. The only other alternative is for you to simplify your system down to 3 levels. We do have plans to add at least 1 more level, but we don't have a release date in mind.

How many developers will answer honestly like that? I respect that approach - and feel respected when a developer responds that way to me. I may not like it - but at least I'm not getting empty promises. (just an example - personally, I am fine with the level of subtasks)

Finally, I am glad Griff called out repeated negativity. There is sometimes a thin line between constructive criticism and just complaining. I have crossed that line myself. There is a distinction - sometimes it's a simple matter of frequency. More often it is tone. I've always believed that even my favorite app in the world (and Toodledo is certainly one of them) is not above criticism. Everything can be improved. But it's probably a good idea to check myself when posting to see if I'm posting to be constructive with the hope of the software improving, or I'm posting because I'm frustrating and just want to vent. Asking myself "what am I really trying to achieve" before posting has helped me. YMMV
ken

• ken
  • Posted: Jun 02, 2010
Uninstalling free version before installing paid app worked like a charm. (though much more charming if those instructions were prominently displayed on download page)

For what's it's worth, GotToDo is an excellent app. Little UI details really make the difference, and the app has performed well for me. It's really nice to have a full-featured interface to my Toodledo account on my mobile device (HTC Incredible).

I have a question, and really this relates to all third party app discussions here on the Toodledo forums. How should we handle specific requests, bug reports, troubleshooting, etc.? It seems pretty inefficient to use a generic announcement thread (v1.5 released!) to discuss specific issues, but I understand that this is a Toodledo forum and not a (third party app) forum.

Specific to GotToDo, what is the best place to report issues, submit feature requests and the like? Should I use the Google group? This forum? Direct email to the developer? I'd rather not use all three.

This message was edited Jun 02, 2010.
ken

• ken
  • Posted: May 27, 2010
Posted by ken:
Having difficulty installing the paid version. I start the install process, then get notified of an Installation error, which states: Duplicate provider authority.

Looks like a full uninstall is needed: http://tinyurl.com/39bgqdq

I will try that. It would really help to state that in the paid version description (or just allow the paid version to install over the free version).

This message was edited May 27, 2010.
ken

• ken
  • Posted: May 27, 2010
Having difficulty installing the paid version. I start the install process, then get notified of an Installation error, which states: Duplicate provider authority.

Any ideas?
ken

Posted May 17, 2010 in: TaskAngel 1.3 reminders
  • ken
  • Posted: May 17, 2010
I hope starting a new thread for this new version of TaskAngel is OK. Mods - feel free to merge/move my post if needed.

I am really excited about TaskAngel and want to see it succeed. There are many things it is doing "right" and development seems active. I just downloaded and installed 1.3.202 and was glad to see support for tags and reminders.

I have a question about reminder, though. Reminders apparently do not sync with Toodledo. Is this planned at a later time? I would probably use reminders a lot more if reminders in TaskAngel sync'd to Toodledo, since I have reminders e-mailed to me. The desktop pop-up is fine, but when I go into TD, the task shows as having no reminder.

Thanks for all the work on TaskAngel.
ken

• ken
UPDATE

I deleted the task named in the error and Syncing seems to be working now.

Not sure why that task would suddenly start causing issues - it's been in Toodledo long before I downloaded TaskAngel.

Of note: the context associated with the task in question was #project and the task name had the # character at the beginning. I saw a post of yours (Andrew) mentioning the TD API and encoding special characters - so I thought it might be relevant info.
ken

• ken
So I tried the renew sync and got a similar error:

Unable to complete sync. Error Toodledo error: You must set at least one attribute. at task [first 25 characters of a specific task]

Getting a specific task as part of the error message is new. I will try editing/maybe deleting that particular task and seeing what happens.

Note that I was syncing with TaskAngel without issue before. And the task that is named in the error above was there before - it is not a new task, or even one I modified recently.
ken

• ken
Same problem with version 1.3.202
ken

• ken
Is this where we should post problems with TaskAngel - or is the TaskAngel forum preferable?

I keep getting an error when I try to sync manually.

Window pops up that states:

"Toodledo reported an error: You must set at least one attribute.. Please check your connection or try again later."

Any ideas what may be causing this? I made some minor changes to existing tasks - I think I changed 2 or 3 tasks' priorities, but that's it.

Using TaskAngel 1.2.166

I will try updating to a later version.
ken

• ken
  • Posted: Feb 08, 2010
Thanks for the update. Good to hear that TaskJot is still alive and kicking. I rely on it (and Toodledo of course).
ken

• ken
  • Posted: Nov 25, 2009
Posted by Steve:
Thanks, Anders. I did think of Starring all the due-today items as well as Next Actions. Apart from being a bit of a pain doing that every day, it also complicates matters with recurring tasks. When you tick them off, you also have to remember to unstar them, otherwise the new occurrence pops up on the list straight away. Guess I'll probably just have to live with it!

Read Anders post more carefully. I think he means to star your next actions only (not due items), and use the Hotlist functionality that does not yet exist to show due items and starred items. Configured this way, your recurring items show up because they have a due date - no need to star them.

The Hotlist doesn't seem a like a huge priority, but this is the exact use case I am looking for. I want to keep all my lists organized by context/folder/whatever, then when appropriate, define next actions by quickly starring items.

If I could configure the Hotlist to show only due or starred items, that would be a great Todo list for each day. It also solves the have to look in two places problem.

One workaround is using the status field and setting Hotlist to items due within 1 day. Not nearly as clean or quick and easy, but workable. Another similar option to use Top Priority like a star and have Hotlist only show Top Priority and due.
ken

• ken
  • Posted: Nov 25, 2009
Posted by Seb F.:
But as for the I-Phone, the whole world is changing for it ;-)
I do not understand why though...

The iPhone is a beautiful device, but one I will likely never use. It excels at things I place lower on my priority list for a mobile device (media, etc.), and only adequately covers the thing I consider must-have (good messaging management). I also prefer a physical keyboard, though I suspect they will be gone in 5 years. The biggest deal-breaker for me, however, was the iTunes requirement. Don't like it. When my boss asked me to setup an iTouch device for her so she could use it in a presentation, I was astonished that I could do NOTHING with the device until I installed and synced with iTunes.

Anyway, bashing Apple is almost as easy as bashing Microsoft 10 years ago. They have done some wonderful things and produced some stunning devices.

But here's what prompted me to reply. The explosion of the iPhone - and the related explosion in accessories and development - is related to something that many people don't realize and/or don't talk about: for a huge percentage of users, the iPhone is their very first smart phone. That's my theory at least.

Coming from a "dumb" mobile phone to an iPhone must seem like getting transported to another world. I cannot tell you how many times new iPhone users have excitedly described to me functionality that has existed in smart phones for years. They just never experienced it before.

Of all the stories I've heard of people moving away from their iPhone (and there have been a few), nearly every one was a previous smart phone user.

Apple was smart - they sold to the consumer. They made smart phone functionality important to the masses. We mobile users can thank them for that - it fosters innovation.

I used a Palm device for many years, content to use a separate phone and PIM. I finally caved and got a Treo 680 and fell in love with the convenience of the smart phone idea. Palm stumbled, didn't innovate - they could have *owned* the smartphone market with the Treo line, IMO - and people have moved on.

It's funny to hear Apple marketing materials and fans alike tout the iPhone's touchscreen as innovative. It is by far a much better touchscreen interface than a Palm Treo, but by no means "new."

I'm now on a Blackberry Bold and it nowhere near perfect, though the keyboard is the best set of keys I've ever felt on a mobile device. Ever. The Cadillac of mobile keypads. Seriously.

But I worry that Blackberry is going to fade like Palm did. I suspect my next mobile device will be an Android phone (the Motorola Droid is a very nice device).

Wow.. :) That's a long-winded response to make the point about the iPhone being many people's first smartphone.
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next