ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
mccotter

Posted May 21, 2010 in: New Style - Toodledo Me Too
Score: 0
  • mccotter
  • Posted: May 21, 2010
  • Score: 0
Sorry for the lack of updates. I'll take a look at the due date bug. I noticed that too.

Edit: I kinda see the issue. I think it has to do with the positioning of the due date popup window getting thrown off because of the way the new stylesheet does things. The style does some weird things to the positioning of elements on the page to get the tabs on the left hand side of the content pane, and this is probably throwing the positioning of the popup off. I'll have to look at the actual Toodledo stylesheet to figure out how to make this work better.

This message was edited May 21, 2010.
mccotter

Posted Apr 27, 2010 in: New Style - Toodledo Me Too
  • mccotter
  • Posted: Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for the new replies.

@PeterW: I kinda like the contrast in the green link color, but might go a bit darker with it for legibility. I tested it with a grayish blue color and it looks good too. If greyish blue links is the common consensus among those who are following this thread, I'll definitely be willing to change it.

If you want to do this on your own, change the color hex value to #7E8891 in these sections:

a:link, a:active, a:visited
a:hover

For a bit more contrast between the links and plain text it's also worthwhile to change the color hex value to #111 in the "viewby" section.

@Scott: That's definitely a drawback of this style. It works better on a widescreen monitor. You can collapse the menu which helps some, and you can adjust the width of your columns in the grid view (or get rid of columns you don't really use).

There are definitely some things I would like to do to conserve real estate on the screen, but I'm limited due to the fact that I'm working with a pre-existing layout. I may be able to do more, but I will have to perform some serious CSS voodoo.

The grid view is always going to be a bit of an issue when it comes to width. The drawback of being able to choose the columns to view, and the width of each column, is that the width of the screen resolution quickly becomes a limiting factor. There's not a ton that can be done there, other that figuring out a way to push the content pane as far to the left as possible when you collapse the menu. I could also reduce the font size in the tabs, which would allow me to shrink the width of the tabs a bit, but it might make the tabs a bit less legible.

Probably the most effective way to address this issue though is to make the multi-line view a bit more user friendly, and make the concession that the grid view will always just require a decently high screen resolution.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010.
mccotter

Posted Apr 13, 2010 in: New Style - Toodledo Me Too
  • mccotter
  • Posted: Apr 13, 2010
Thanks again Peter.

I updated the style again, this time just cosmetics, no changes to the page layout. If I'm getting too ornate, let me know. Simple is always best in my book, but a little visual interest in the background texture is a good thing IMO, just don't want to overdo it.
mccotter

Posted Apr 11, 2010 in: What's up with Remember the Milk?
  • mccotter
  • Posted: Apr 11, 2010
I don't think RTM is that pretty (the web interface). It's very minimal and somewhat cleaner than Toodledo, but the layout leaves something to be desired. It doesn't support subtasks either and apparently the developers have nailed that coffin shut, don't plan on ever implementing subtasks.
mccotter

Posted Apr 10, 2010 in: New Style - Toodledo Me Too
  • mccotter
  • Posted: Apr 10, 2010
Various color schemes should be easy enough to do. I'll try to put something together soon.

Try this out. I might change the colors up some but at least it's a starting point.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2010.
mccotter

Posted Apr 09, 2010 in: New Style - Toodledo Me Too
  • mccotter
  • Posted: Apr 09, 2010
I just updated the style. Multi-line format should now be usable. Tested in both Firefox and Chrome. Still need to improve the width behavior of task details in the multi-line format, probably won't be hard.
mccotter

Posted Apr 07, 2010 in: New Style - Toodledo Me Too
  • mccotter
  • Posted: Apr 07, 2010
Thanks for the positive words, folks. Vin, I can change the name of the style if you would like. Don't want to infringe on your "copyright" so to speak. I just thought the name was a bit appropriate since it is kind of a "me too" style, using your script as a starting point. :)
mccotter

Posted Apr 07, 2010 in: New Style - Toodledo Me Too
  • mccotter
I first want to give credit to Vin Thomas for figuring out how to get the tabs in a vertical column in his Toodledo Me user style. I decided to take his style and run with it.

There is still a lot of work to do on the style. It doesn't handle the multi-line format properly yet, so for now I can only recommend this style if you use the grid format. I'll work on this soon.

My main goal is to make a style that is clean, minimal, and as usable as possible. I'd like any user feedback I can get. I'm not extremely well versed in CSS so any collaboration is welcome.

Toodledo Me Too

This message was edited Apr 07, 2010.
mccotter

Posted Apr 07, 2010 in: New Design by VINTOM.com
  • mccotter
I just created a new user style that expands on the Toodledo Me style by Vin Thomas. I changed the color scheme to suit my own tastes, but if people prefer the green on black look I could be convinced to produce a variation with the original color scheme.

My style directly addresses the problem shown in Andrew's post. Now the white area behind the tasks div will allow a width greater than the browser's viewport, so it will accomodate the Toodledo's grid view more gracefully.

This is still a work in progess. Some things are still broken, so take that into consideration. I welcome any feedback, and will continue to tweak this style actively.

Toodledo Me Too

This message was edited Apr 07, 2010.
mccotter

Posted Mar 15, 2010 in: Please hire a UI Designer
Score: 2
  • mccotter
  • Posted: Mar 15, 2010
  • Score: 2
Posted by Qrystal:

Great job on the mockups, mccotter, because they definitely show how much more clear our views can become. I prefer the first of the two fly-out styles though, because the second would compress the content pane.

On the subject of sidebar width, I'd imagine it would best be adjustable. Also, really long names of things (like Recently Completed) should wrap to multiple lines.

On the second style, the sub-menu could float over the content pane rather than pushing it aside, so you wouldn't have a problem with shrinking the avialable area for the content pane. The sub-menu would collapse away when you click on one of the sub-menu items. Yes, your view of the content pane would be obstructed for the short period that you make use of the "Views" menu, but I don't think this would be a problem in actual use. This would also allow the sidebar to be fixed width, with the sub-menus automatically adjusting width to accomodate the length of the text.

I don't particularly care for the idea of the sub-menu text wrapping across multiple lines, I think it would get messy very fast, but that's just my take.
mccotter

Posted Mar 12, 2010 in: Please hire a UI Designer
  • mccotter
  • Posted: Mar 12, 2010
Another version of the "fly-out". Would activate on click, not on mouse-over (those mouse-over menus are annoying).

mccotter

• mccotter
I left the content pane empty because that could be left largely intact with the menu system described here.

Edit: I know it's not exactly the same type of product, but I think Evernote serves as a good example of where the UI should head.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2010.
mccotter

• mccotter
I have a couple of mockups of what I envision would be a better UI design. It's not so much the window dressing on the site (this can be changed with user styles / greasemonkey scripts), as it is the underlying structure of the elements. I don't think having the views done horizontally across the top of the screen works well. Lists of dynamic length, such as your contexts, folders, tags, etc ought to be vertical.

I pushed the views to the sidebar, gave saved searches its own section, and slid the existing elements from the side bar to the bottom. Several of the existing elements on the side bar are of questionable value. Several are unnecessary completely, such as the "Folders and Contexts" item. This functionality ought to be incorporated into the actual folders view and contexts view. "Goals", likewise, can be incorporated into the Goals view itself.

A couple of the other items don't need to be one of the main navigational elements, so I demoted those to subpages such as account settings. For instance, the functionality in "sharing" should go to account settings or the sharing view, "booklets" should go to tools and services, or that maybe could stay on the main page if some deem it important enough.

Right now, the Views are listed across the top, when you click on one it populates all of the corresponding elements as tabs listed horizontally across the page. This doesn't work well IMO because you'll quickly run out of room if you have a bunch of tags. I envision these "submenus" as fly-outs when you click on one of the views in the sidebar.

Of course I'm not a UI designer, so I probably committed some cardinal sins, so feel free to critique.
mccotter

Posted Mar 12, 2010 in: File access from Slim site / within API
  • mccotter
Awesome, thanks for the reply.
mccotter

Posted Mar 11, 2010 in: File access from Slim site / within API
  • mccotter
  • Posted: Mar 11, 2010
Another enhancement suggestion: If I upload a file with the same name, It would be nice if your server automatically appended an incrementing numerical digit to the end rather than overwriting the existing file.
mccotter

Posted Mar 11, 2010 in: File access from Slim site / within API
  • mccotter
  • Posted: Mar 11, 2010
I just upgraded to a Pro Plus account, and I'm a bit dismayed to see that I don't have file access from the Slim site. The trouble ticket system where I work has the ability to export tickets as PDF files, so I had the bright idea to forward these PDFs to Toodledo with a description of the ticket in the subject/body of the email.

The issue is that I cannot access these PDFs from my phone when I'm on site for a service call. I don't believe file access is a part of the public API either, so 3rd party apps don't have a method to access file attachments.

My main issue with this is that it might be a bit alienating to paying customers, that the features they are paying for are only partially supported. Just thought I'd mention it with the hopes that it's on your list of enhancements.

Thanks!