ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Simon"
Simon

Posted Sep 14, 2019 in: Windows clients in 2019
Score: 0
  • Simon
  • Posted: Sep 14, 2019
  • Score: 0
Are there any usable, maintained, Windows desktop clients in 2019?

2day is no longer maintained and is listed as "currently not available" in the Windows store.
TaskAngel still sort of works, but is *very* clunky.
Most of the other apps listed on the Toodledo 3rd party page are now dead links, or are abandoned things that haven't been updated since 2014.

Are those of us who need offline access from a Windows laptop simply out of luck?

EDIT: I see that TaskAngel has a "new UI". I'll update and give that a go...

This message was edited Sep 14, 2019.
Simon

Posted Apr 11, 2019 in: Task note erased through mobile sync
  • Simon
  • Posted: Apr 11, 2019
Yesterday I took a long flight. While in the air, I created a task and wrote extensive notes in the "notes" field on my Android tablet, using the ToodleDo app.

This morning I turned my laptop on, intending to act on the notes. I noticed that the task didn't exist on the web interface. Ooops! Forgot to take the tablet out of Airplane mode. So I did that, and allowed the tablet time to sync.

I refreshed the web interface, and the task appeared - but the Notes field was empty. I probably clicked inside this empty field.
I went back to the tablet to check, and I saw the full note briefly - and then it vanished. I assume that clicking inside the empty field on the web had been counted as an update, which had overwritten the existing note with a blank one.

So, two things:
1. I think there's a bug here with a note created on the Android app with a new task not syncing. Unfortunately, I can't easily reproduce it. In case it's important, there will also have been a change of time zone.
2. Is there any way that I can get the note back? Any kind of note versioning behind the scenes which would allow a restore? That note was the result of at least an hour of thoughtful writing on the plane...

Thanks.

EDIT: Maybe irrelevant, given its age and that it was the iOS app, but this appears possibly-related: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/18383/0/task-note-is-deleted-when-it-syncs-ios.html

This message was edited Apr 11, 2019.
Simon

Posted Jan 08, 2019 in: Outdent subtask?
  • Simon
  • Posted: Jan 08, 2019
I'm trying to do the same. Did you ever figure it out?

Thanks
Simon

Posted Jan 20, 2016 in: 2day (windows client) review
Score: 2
  • Simon
  • Posted: Jan 20, 2016
  • Score: 2
Hi all,

We're currently suffering a tragic dearth of good windows clients for Toodledo. TaskUnifier is becoming annoying and unreliable without maintenance, Desktop ToDo is missing features and the author has told me in email that he's not working on it for now... I don't use a desktop client when at my desk, because I have the website, but when travelling I need something that will sync and let me use my task list off-line. I saw the author of 2Day mention it on here a while back, so I thought I'd try it out. Here are my first impressions.

* It's a to-do list app that happens to sync to ToodleDo (as well as its own cloud service and a few other things), rather than a dedicated ToodleDo client. This is explains a couple of the big disadvantages below.

+ It's pretty, if you like tiles for your tasks. The scroll bar is tiny and hard to click on, but that's probably a problem with the styling of Win10 "Modern" apps rather than a choice by the developer. Seeing as this is presumably a touch-enabled app, I tried using the mouse to "fling" the screen to scroll it, but that didn't work.

+ Sync with Toodledo seems to work well, but it requires your Toodledo username and password, rather than using OAuth. This is poor practice. All of my folders and contexts appeared in the app straight away. There are various options for sync, including background sync when the app is not running[1], and immediate sync when you make a change on the client. I haven't used it enough to comment on how robust the sync is, but no reason to doubt is so far.

+ "Smart views" are a pretty good analogy to Saved Searches, with a lot of the same features. They're done client-side, and won't sync with your saved searches, but can be made to do much of the same stuff. Unless your saved searches rely on something they don't know about, such as...

- It doesn't know about Importance. Perhaps reasonable, since this is a ToodleDo-specific thing. I'm back to having to sort by priority and due date.

- The big problem: IT DOESN'T DO SUBTASKS.

Hope that helps. If the developer sees this, I'd love to hear any comment on his future plans. I'm on the 30 day trial at present, and unsure whether I'll buy the app at the end of that, or go back to Desktop ToDo (which also doesn't do Importance, and also has some strange behaviour re future tasks, but does at least do subtasks).

[1] Or at least, when it's not on the screen. When an app is "running" is a nebulous concept with Win10 Modern apps.
Simon

Posted Dec 07, 2014 in: Not understanding how start dates work?
  • Simon
  • Posted: Dec 07, 2014
Toodledo is odd about future tasks.
The only way I've been able to get the behaviour that you describe (and which I also wanted) was to set up a custom search:

* Match all criteria

* Checked off: No

AND

{ Start date: Doesn't exist
OR
Start date: Was in the last 99999 days }

I use this search as my main to-do screen now. It means that I can't directly use folders, so I have two different searches that are restricted to specific folders. One could do the same thing with contexts, or whatever.
Simon

• Simon
  • Posted: Mar 24, 2014
Hmm, thanks. The view that one gets there *after* clicking on most of the subtasks is exactly what I'm after.... it's rather a clunky way to reach it, but may be a good workaround for the moment.
Simon

• Simon
  • Posted: Mar 22, 2014
Hi,

There was a feature request some years ago to allow parent tasks' due date and priority to be automatically set to those of the most urgent and most important subtask that they contain.
Alternatively, to leave parent dates & priorities as they are, but to position the parent in the task list according to the most urgent/important subtask.

This would allow the indented subtask view to shine, without the risk of failing to notice urgent subtasks that are way down the list as they have non-urgent parents.

Has any progress been made on this in the years since it was requested, please? Is there any way to do this as yet? Or any suggested workaround?

Thanks
Simon

• Simon
  • Posted: Jan 15, 2013
Hi, and sorry if this has been answered before - a bit of searching couldn't find it.

As I understand it, the "hide future tasks" filter gives me two options:
1. Have it off, and show all tasks regardless of dates
2. Have it on, and,
(a) Hide tasks with a start date more than 1 day ahead
(b) Hide tasks with a due date more than n months ahead, where n is configurable between 1 and 6.

Is there any way to get behaviour (a) without behaviour (b)? I don't want to be shown tasks that I cannot start yet, but I *do* want to be shown stuff that I can get on with that has a long deadline.

Thanks!
Simon

Posted Jul 28, 2011 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011 - Part 2
Score: 3
  • Simon
  • Posted: Jul 28, 2011
  • Score: 3
In general I like it - although I do feel that I get less tasks on a page than I used to.

My only comment is this:
I tend to use a relatively narrow browser window. With the old system, I could close the rarely-used sidebar on the left and fit everything nicely. Now there doesn't seem to be any way to close this sidebar, and it would be far less useful to do so because it's much more frequently-used, so the site is a little less friendly to relatively narrow browsers.

EDIT: FWIW, quick search now has a considerably higher "cost" than it used to. Now I have to move my mouse down to the bottom of the window and scroll all the way to the right, before moving the mouse back up to the search box to click in it.

I realise that the world has headed to people doing things maximised on 14:9 screens, but some future thought for smaller widths would be appreciated :-)

This message was edited Jul 28, 2011.