ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by dent"
dent

Score: 0
  • dent
  • Posted: Jun 11, 2010
  • Score: 0
I'm working on a cross-platform desktop app designed primarily to use Toodledo but including a lot of scriptability and synch with other services.

One of the big issues we're debating is how to add structure beyond Toodledo's capabilities, partly to match other services and partly because people like yourself want it.

In this case, say we offered the ability to do an unlimited task hierarchy - it might be saved to Toodledo as normal tasks with special tags used to indicated the levels.

So, you'd see your hierarchy flattened in the Toodledo web app but preserved in your desktop version.

Does this sound appealing, weird, uninteresting?
dent

Score: 1
  • dent
  • Posted: Jun 03, 2010
  • Score: 1
I'm doing most of the programming on this project and, whilst I have a lot of experience on both platforms, I can tell you that it's not going to happen unless we use REALbasic because the overhead in doing both a Cocoa and .Net UI is too much. I've done enough cross-platform code with split UI to be realistic about the cost. In many cases, REALbasic is also a more productive development environment than either Visual Studio or XCode (opinion based on 25+ years plus development, if you want to argue take it offline).

One big benefit of using REALbasic that Peter hasn't mentioned is that it has a great scripting language built in (RBScript) and from day one, the model we're planning has full scriptability. One reason other desktop apps haven't done *full* synchronisation to Toodledo is the difficulty of mapping their data model precisely to Toodledo. If there's a single thing you can do in Toodledo that their app doesn't support, or vice versa, then mapping decisions have to be made. Generalising these to a GUI is incredibly hard.

Using scripts to do the mapping allows you to have play with the rules in place to do it exactly how you want. It's not something that everyone needs but it's a key feature for power users.

It also offers the chance to have scripted operations that can merge stuff back into the cloud, such as bulk changes, copy data to other services or do other rendering such as plots of task completion.

For an example of what can be achieved with scripting in RBScript, have a look at the graphics and logic teaching program rbKarel, a port of Karel the Robot.

http://code.google.com/p/rbstuff/wiki/rbKarelOverview