ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by shfl"
shfl

Posted Apr 22, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 3
  • shfl
  • Posted: Apr 22, 2019
  • Score: 3
Although the market for task managers is saturated, it is strange how poorly executed most of them are. Toodledo was the right mix of price, features and flexibility. As a loyal customer of nine years, it has now reached a point where the features haven't kept pace with the price increases which is why I won't be renewing a subscription. A

While I wish the new owners all the best in developing Toodledo and admit being naive to the business realities of running a task management product, I can't help feel disappointed at how loyal customers are treated.
shfl

Posted Dec 30, 2014 in: New Section: Habits
Score: 13
  • shfl
  • Posted: Dec 30, 2014
  • Score: 13
Nice feature, thanks.

For what it's worth, it would have been good to see this integrated into tasks instead of a stand-alone feature. In my mind, all habits are tasks.

And notes. It is good to see progress on habits, but without a feature for note-taking by day (why a habit was/wasn't achieved), this is good for explaining the 'what' but not the 'why'.
shfl

Posted Jan 30, 2013 in: Central Information Reference (CIR)
Score: 1
  • shfl
  • Posted: Jan 30, 2013
  • Score: 1
I simply use tags (Gmail, Evernote, filing drawer etc.) for this, with each project getting its own folder. Most of the time I also link to the file path in the notes section of the task.

My project and folder structure is mirrored between Gmail, Dropbox, paper-based & Evernote, which makes things easy to manage (although you may need to do a folder clean up each month to remove any completed projects). As a result, if you tag a task as 'dropbox' or 'gmail' you know exactly which folder to find the information in.

Each evening I perform a 'sweep' of anything I have collected in my inbox so it can be filed correctly. This includes transferring any note from my paper notebook to Evernote or Toodledo. I like to think this process helps in terms of recall and ideas.
shfl

Posted Dec 09, 2012 in: Your Favorite Saved Searches?
Score: 2
  • shfl
  • Posted: Dec 09, 2012
  • Score: 2
These are the ones I work with. Work and non-work tasks have different tags, so I have Work searches, non-work searches, and All searches

Hotlist - Anything high priority, overdue or marked as Next Action (took this from Salgud)

To File - Anything in my 'in' folder or without a status/start date/end date goes here. Clearing this is part of my morning and evening checklist

Due/Start Today - Use this to push tasks to the hotlist search

Due/Start Tomorrow - Reviewed evening before so I can plan the next day

In Progress - Basically a list of everything that I can work on. This search catches items that take weeks or stuff I need to clarify (as the start today/tomorrow searches won't list them)

Active - Anything in a folder with Active as a status

Quick - Items that can be done quickly are marked with length of 2 minutes. Tend to do these all in one go

People searches - Most tasks that involve other people include their name. If I deal with the person regularly (wife, boss), they get their own search. E.g if I'm sitting in a meeting with my boss I can bring up the search 'Person - John Doe' and remember all items relevant to him

Completed tasks - Use this to reflect on things I've done, just a little trick so I can tell myself I'm a productive person
shfl

Posted Nov 26, 2012 in: Duplicate Project/Timeline
Score: 0
  • shfl
  • Posted: Nov 26, 2012
  • Score: 0
You could use an Excel template to calculate the dates and then import a CSV file.

I use this for projects I work on that have set tasks, instead of manually entering each task and risking forgetting some.
shfl

Posted Nov 17, 2012 in: My Trusted System
  • shfl
  • Posted: Nov 17, 2012
Posted by jjp_tmn:
Posted by shfl:

The only pain is trying to manage the searches on an Android app ...

What's the Android app you use? I'm using Ultimate To Do list and I don't they sync the saved searches option.

Thanks,
jp

I use the same. So whatever saved searches are created in Toodledo have to be duplicated manually in Ultimate To Do List. Annoying.
shfl

Posted Oct 21, 2012 in: My Trusted System
  • shfl
  • Posted: Oct 21, 2012
Salgud, appreciate the time you took to outline your approach.

I adopted most of the ideas here, and especially like the custom saved searches. It has boosted my productivity without question.

The only pain is trying to manage the searches on an Android app as I have a two week view across work/non-work/all, so it's essentially six searches I need to update every week.
shfl

Posted Sep 28, 2012 in: Macros and Shortcuts for Gmail
  • shfl
  • Posted: Sep 28, 2012
I am using the trick outlined here: http://www.labnol.org/internet/auto-forward-gmail-messages/20665/ - It has some major drawbacks.

If you set up the auto-forward interval to something like one-minute, your Toodledo list will have duplicates if you tend to bounce emails in and out of the label that triggers auto-forwarding.

Second, Toodledo will treat each email as a task. So if you have a long threaded conversation, you will again have duplicate tasks.

You could probably fix this by editing the script if you're competent enough, though.
shfl

Posted Aug 22, 2012 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011
  • shfl
  • Posted: Aug 22, 2012
Posted by randalloc:
Just starting to really use this program.. one thing i wish you could add and that is the use of color(like a tab/catagory/project, etc) as a flexible tool for sorting or just visually being able to know something quickly by colors.

I second this.

Using Google Apps I have come to appreciate the ability of applying coloured labels to emails in Gmail. Very easy to filter/see how emails apply to different projects or categories.
shfl

Posted Jan 19, 2012 in: Easy Integration with Outlook
Score: -1
  • shfl
  • Posted: Jan 19, 2012
  • Score: -1
Simple but powerful tip.

Thanks, dan.julian.
shfl

Posted Nov 13, 2011 in: Tracking progress
  • shfl
  • Posted: Nov 13, 2011
How do you use Toodledo to keep track of task progress?

I have quite a few projects/tasks which take some time so it is not always easy to track progress. My 'just started' tasks are not differentiated by 'almost finished'.

The logical solution is to break tasks down either further but it is not always useful.

I found a solution from an old post here where someone used tags to track progress (e.g., 25, 50, 75). Am thinking that might work.
shfl

Posted Oct 24, 2011 in: How to add a task from a URL?
  • shfl
  • Posted: Oct 24, 2011
Have you looked at click.to? I set it up to copy text from a page, then hit a hotkey, and it is added into Toodledo.
shfl

Posted Sep 20, 2011 in: After reading "The Checklist Manifesto"
Score: 1
  • shfl
  • Posted: Sep 20, 2011
  • Score: 1
Checklists seem to me to be one of the keys of productivity and effectiveness - provided they are designed correctly. And if they keep jumbo jets in the sky, they are probably useful for helping you clean your home. The Checklist Manifesto is a great book, too.

I don't see the distinction between tasks and checklists. They help you get stuff done.

My current job has a fairly rigid checklist for projects. So I have a Toodledo-friendly CSV ready. Each time a new project comes through, I complete the checklist (due dates, tags etc.) and import. If you want to filter by checklist items, you can create a tag for each task called 'checklist' if it is a checklist item.

If you have ongoing projects (e.g., Clean House), you could create new Folders for each instance of cleaning your house, such as Clean House August Phase 1, Clean House August Phase 2.

The much more difficult part, at least for me, is designing an effective checklist.