ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by DrFrankBuck"
DrFrankBuck

Posted Feb 28, 2021 in: DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
Score: 0
Posted by strativourakis:
I have also been looking for a replacement.

I see that ToodleDo's demise is imminent, so I've been taking notes on a replacement.

I need to now make time to pull the trigger & really do it.

I believe TickTick is one of the only ones I've found / heard of that offers a direct, specific "Migrate from ToodleDo" function - that was reassuring.

In some very, very limited time spent playing with it, it seems pretty cool, like it will have most of what I need.

It's just that fear & reticence to change.

I have also been using an app called "Alarmed" for iOS.

It is very basic, but has a feature i've not seen anywhere else;

You can program pop-up alerts / reminders & noises to nag you just about as often as you want.

It's helpful for someone like myself, though it is easy to overdo it & populate so many reminders that my phone constantly pings, dings & vibrates with reminders, so I temporarily pause them......LOL.....

But that's a great one.

The same app deveoper (Yoctoville, I think?) created a new app called "Errands"

I've no idea what's the specific diff btwn the two but I like alarmed so much, I def downloaded & will look at Errands also.

I'll try to post more later.

Remember The Milk has a direct import. https://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answer/basics-tasks-importexport-import
DrFrankBuck

Posted Feb 14, 2021 in: DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
I went to Remember The Milk in Oct. 2018 and love it.

Very strong with keyboard shortcuts, and I can very easily change multiple tasks in mass (postpone by certain number of days, change due date, change priority.

You get collaboration even in the free version.

The "Smart List" feature is amazing. After you perform a particular search, you can save it. Let me give you just a couple of examples....
1) I use tags and can easily click on that task in the left-hand pane and see all the tasks with that tag. But, usually what I need isn't ALL the tasks with that tag, but only the tasks with that tag that have a due date within the next few days. So, for many of the tags, I have a corresponding smart list.. As an example, I have a tag called "ETR" (expect to receive). These are the things I am waiting on from others (orders placed, things loaned, replies I am expecting on phone calls, etc.) My "ETR" smart list shows me those ETR items that are coming up in the next 7 days and does not return things that I would not want to follow up on for weeks or months.

2) Projects-- I have never liked the "Projects" list built into software. I have many that are fluid and may be completed in a few days. I don't want to have to manually add a "project" and then remove it from the list. I use a task for the project and subtasks for the steps in that project. I have a Smart List called "Projects-All." That search returns all tasks that have subtasks. It's an instant "projects list" to use GTD terminology. I have 3 more along the same lines: Projects-This Week, Projects-This Month, Projects-Future. These return tasks that have subtasks ard the due date of the task is with in the next 7 days, after 7 days but within 30 days, and more than 30 days in the future respectively.

The quick add is a feature I love. You have to download the desktop software (free and easy to do). From anywhere...actually I added a couple of tasks my wife mentioned while writing this response...Ctrl + Alt+ M brings up a box where I can add a task plus anything about it (due date, priority, even task note. Hit "enter" and the box disappears and saves.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Jan 25, 2021 in: Toodledo still alive?
Posted by bandit:
Toodledo is a great app with a loyal user base. It would be great if someone would buy it and bring back confidence to the users, and we’d all be able to stick with it and be happy!

Like most I’ve been on a quest for a suitable replacement (no luck yet).

One of the many features I like about Toodledo is the ability to forward emails so they become tasks. Which apps have any of you found that have this feature?

I also like setting up recurring tasks and the ability to have uncompleted tasks carry forward (works good in Toodledo). Which apps have any of you found that has this functionality?

Forwarding emails to tasks is a common feature. I left Toodledo for Remember The Milk in October 2018. The free version of RTM offers forwarding emails. RTM actually gives you *two* addresses. One is for what you have been using with Toodledo. The second, the "Import Email" allows you to list up to 50 tasks in a single email and send them to RTM.
DrFrankBuck

Here is a page showing how to export from Toodledo (and other task managers) and import into Remember The Milk.
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answer/basics-tasks-importexport-import
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 11, 2020 in: We’re Back
Posted by Brigitte Gemme:
I have been a user since 2010 and I didn't want to live in fear of seeing my task system evaporate overnight. I decided to go to RememberTheMilk because I was familiar with the platform. I do miss the separate outlines but it's working out OK. I decided to move tasks manually, decluttering old stuff along the way. Not quite done, but should be by November 1st...

Best of luck to everyone! And keep getting stuff done.

Brigitte,

How are you getting your tasks from Toodledo into RTM? RTM has these instructions: https://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answer/basics-tasks-importexport-import
DrFrankBuck

Posted Aug 19, 2020 in: We’re Back
Posted by samrwalker:
Forgot to ask other posters - what alternatives to ToodleDo have you switched to in the year or so since development stopped and the company went AWOL?

I've stopped using ToodleDo - but I miss the Scheduling function, and the ability to list by "Importance Level" - the combination of Deadline proximity, and Priority - if I could find a still-supported alternative product with these features that'd be great.

Sam,

I moved to Remember The Milk in October 2018. I would be glad to talk off line about questions. I don't know of a way to get the Importance view automatically. However, with Remember the Milk's a bility to multi-select task and make changes with a keyboard shortcut, I think it would be able to get you what you want. Frank (at) FrankBuck (dot) org.

Frank
DrFrankBuck

Posted Jul 19, 2020 in: We’re Back
Posted by lraiello:
FYI - As a 10+ year user, I became very frustrated with this new release and converted to RTM 8 days ago and have not looked back. Transition was seamless since RTM read the Toodledo files (per Help page). It even sends me a daily list of tasks vs having to go to Toodledo every day. Sorry folks, time to abandon ship.

I made the move in October 2018. Loving RTM.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Jun 04, 2020 in: We’re Back
Posted by dennislynn:
I cannot even find a website for Toodledo - zero information. I've been a user for 5+ years...will also be jumping ship. I've sent dozens of people to Toodledo over the years...it's a shame this had to end up like this. Right now I'm working with Remember The Milk - seems to be pretty good. I did not like ToDoist at all. If RTM doesn't fit I'll try more - and maybe ToDoist again. Toodledo was my goto app - use it every minute of every day.

Never seen a successful app go down like this.

Dennis,

I went to RTM in Oct. 2018 and love it. Feel free to reach out to me if I can help.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Mar 16, 2020 in: We’re Back
Posted by samrwalker:
Forgot to ask other posters - what alternatives to ToodleDo have you switched to in the year or so since development stopped and the company went AWOL?

I've stopped using ToodleDo - but I miss the Scheduling function, and the ability to list by "Importance Level" - the combination of Deadline proximity, and Priority - if I could find a still-supported alternative product with these features that'd be great.

I went to Remember the Milk in October 2019. There is not the Sort by Importance function. RTM is extremely flexible and you might be able to create a "Smart List" to do that for you. Here is what I do, and this may serve as something satisfactory for you. I sort by Priority. When I click the "Due Today" button, I see all the Top priority followed by Medium priority, Low priority, and No priority. Within each priority, it's sorted by due date. So, the "Medium" tasks from yesterday that didn't get done are going to be towards the top of the Mediums and the Medium tasks with today's due date would be father down. That's similar to the way Toodledo's formula would handle them.

RTM went through a huge upgrade in 2016. Easy to use. The app is user-friendly. Support is very responsive. You can easily move your Toodledo tasks without having to rekey.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Feb 09, 2020 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Thanks for putting this together:

https://i.imgur.com/0ftx4K8.png

I left Toodledo in Oct. 2018 in favor of Remember The Milk. With the day-to-day experience, there are some changes I would suggest in the chart:

Remember The Milk does offer both due date and due time. It even allows smart voice entry: "Call Joe Tuesday at 2PM"
Project Management--Not sure your criteria for something earning a check for "Project Management." Projects can be handled in several ways. For example, one can use "Lists" as the names for the projects and tasks associated with a project assigned to that list. A tag can be created with the project name and all tasks assigned to that project tagged appropriately.
Contexts--Create a tag for each context. Tag notes with the appropriate context and you've got it.
GTD--I was familiar with GTD before it was even called GTD. Not sure what you think it's missing. I guess the things that caused RTM to not get a check for "context" and "project management" are the reasons you didn't give it a check here.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Jan 21, 2020 in: Adding task via IFTT
Amend the applet you created. In the task line, after the merge field for the name of the task, put #today or #tomorrow or whatever your default due date is. NOt sure if there is also a symbol you could add that would assign the status. I never used that one.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Dec 28, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
I don't know why posts that I write are not appearing. I rarely even read the forum anymore.

After using Toodledo for around 6 years, I loved to Remember the Milk following Jake's departure and the changes in plan and pricing,
DrFrankBuck

Posted Dec 15, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
boydston01 , I went to RTM in October of 2018 and have been very pleased.

My sort order is "Priority," so clicking on "Today" gives me everything either die today OR anything overdue. (I love that feature, and it's one I had to do manually in Toodledo. I use Priority to segment my list into my "Fab 5," morning, afternoon, and evening.

I was excited about drag and drop, but in practice have not used it. There are two reasons

First, when you drag and drop, you have to be careful that the tasks just above and below where you want to drop "separate." Otherwise, you're dropping a task on another task and it becomes a subtask.

Even more important, for drag & drop to operate, you have to change the sort order to "Drag and Drop." It then no longer sorts by priority. For me, what works much better is to change priorities...and the keyboard shortcut for doing that is easy. Check the box by the task and type a "1" to make it "High", "2" for "Medium," etc. You can change as many as you like in mass by checking and then selecting the number (1, 2, 3, or 4). I have found it to be a quick way to get the list in the order I want to see.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Oct 29, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
I left Toodledo a year ago in favor of Remember the Milk. Spent a day experimenting with RTM, Asana, TickTick, and Todoist.

RTM went through a MAJOR upgrade in 2016. When I chose Toodledo in 2012, I was it as superior to RTM. When I was looking for a Toodledo replacement in Oct. 2018, it was a different story. So many of the things that were talked about as being "coming" to Toodledo were already there in RTM. If you like keyboard shortcuts, you'll love RTM.

The features I feel are basic are in the RTM free plan (notes field for each task, ability to email into the task list) while in Todoist, you pay for them. While I use RTM Pro, since I teach productivity, it's important to me to be able to give the newbie something that is going to meet their needs without cost.

Yesterday, RTM rolled out a Gmail add-on that lets you create a task from an email even without emailing it to RTM. It looks like and performs like the Evernote add-on that appeared some months ago.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Aug 22, 2019 in: Anant, can you give us an update?
Even more interesting.

When Jake left, the new owner would not address concerns in the forum. I even discussed this point with him in a private email. It's no wonder the tone of the conversations quickly became critical. I'm actually surprised they didn't shut down the forum altogether.

A better approach would have been to be active and leading the conversation. Jake did a great job in this arena.

Those who post in the forum regularly are those who are truly interested in digital organization and want the product they used to be the best one of the market.

Better read this post quickly before it becomes hidden as well!

I would invite anyone to correspond with me privately if you're interested in making a transition. I'll share what's worked for me. Frank (at) FrankBuck (dot) org.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Aug 21, 2019 in: Anant, can you give us an update?
That's interesting. Don't know what's happening. Let me share a couple of posts that I think will be helpful as far as why I made the choice I did and what others could expect from Remember the Milk:

https://www.frankbuck.org/remember-the-milk-why-i-made-the-m-o-o-ve/
https://www.frankbuck.org/remember-the-milk-learning-curve/

It will be interesting to see if this post mysteriously disappears!
DrFrankBuck

Posted Aug 20, 2019 in: Moving On: Final Post
Remember the Milk is a terrific option. I made the move in October and was up and running in no time.
Enhancement Toodledo talked about such as migrating overdue tasks forward is already there in RTM. Collaboration is there even in the free version.
The note field is automatically date/time stamped.
Editing multiple tasks is easier.
The keyboard shortcuts amazing.
If you want drag-and-drop ordering of tasks, it's there.

When I chose Toodledo 6 or so years ago, I preferred it over Remember the MIlk. But in 2016, RTM went through a significant upgrade.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Aug 19, 2019 in: Anant, can you give us an update?
Another thread on this forum reports that Salls is gone. It didn't take long to take a great product and run in the groud.

Such a shame. I was a loyal user 6 or so years and taught many people how to use Toodledo.

I moved to Remember the Milk in October. For those who are looking for a place to go, I highly recommend RTM. Even the free plan is robust (and even includes collaboration. They have a set of import instructions specifically for Toodledo.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Jul 18, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Purveyor is on the money about RTM being able to show you completed tasks and do so for any time period. That's another selling point for Remember the Milk.

Here is another alternative, and it would work for any task list that integrates with IFTTT. I have an applet in IFTTT that says, "IF in Remember the Milk I complete a task, then in GoogleSheet add a line to an existing spreadsheet. On the spreadsheet, I include the date/time, the task completed, and the notes.

This worked like a charm with Toodledo and works with Remember the Milk as well. I would think. Give it a try with Todoist.
DrFrankBuck

Posted Jul 05, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
I like what Ummagumma has to say. I have also used key words inside a task and searched for them. Searching for "Call" pulls up every phone call I need to make. Searching for "Joe" pulls up everything I have going with Joe: a phone call to make, something I am waiting on from him, an idea to share the next time we are together.

One of the nice things about this approach is that you are able to add those key words with your voice. I love being able to sit on the couch and add a task with my voice via the Google Home sitting across the room.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next