ForumsNewsToodledo 2013 - The Year in Review

Toodledo 2013 - The Year in Review
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 24, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Happy Holidays from Toodledo!

2013 was an exciting year for Toodledo. We started the year as one of the most popular online to-do lists and we expanded our services to provide a more complete set of productivity tools to our customers, and in the process turned Toodledo into one of the top overall productivity tools available.

Here is a list of the amazing things that we accomplished this year:

Reliability
We were able to maintain an uptime record of 99.999% for the year, with only 5 minutes of unscheduled downtime. See Pingdom for more info.

Outlines (link)
We added an entire new section to Toodledo called Outlines. An Outline is a place for you to organize projects, take notes and store other hierarchical information. You can use an Outline to brainstorm, organize your homework, plan a business report, or break a project down into smaller pieces. It supports unlimited levels of hierarchy, so you can use an Outline to break projects down into subtasks and sub-subtasks and sub-sub-subtasks if you want. You can attach Outlines to any task and soon, you'll be able to access these Outlines in our iOS app.

Lists (link)
Another entirely new section for Toodledo called Lists. This new section is a place for you to make customizable lists for specific purposes. Use it like a spreadsheet or use it to create packing lists, dieting logs, or an address book. Make a list to remember your favorite restaurants, or keep an inventory of your coin collection. For each list, you can customize the number and type of columns, with more than 20 different column types to choose from: text, number, date, rating, price, etc. You can attach Lists to any task and it will also be coming soon to our iOS app.

Tasks
1) File attachments saw a significant upgrade with the ability to upload files from your desktop as well as Dropbox, Facebook, Google Drive, Gmail and more. In addition to files, you can now attach Notes, Outlines, and Lists to any task for quick reference.

2) IFTTT - If you are not familiar with IFTTT, it lets you create powerful connections between services with one simple statement: "if this then that". With the Toodledo Channel at IFTTT, you can automate and integrate Toodledo into many different 3rd party services.

3) We created the Work Hours Left tool. This tool will show you the number of work hours left in the day, week, month and year so that you can see how much time you have left to be productive. It is customizable for your work schedule.

4) We added the ability to undelete tasks that were accidentally deleted.

5) We enhanced alarms with a more intuitive interface and with the ability to get alarms in your web browser and via a webhook.

6) We added a setting to automatically unstar a task when you complete it, which can be useful for people who use the star to mark tasks that they want to work on today.

7) Toodledo now has a Mac application that will provide quick access to your to-do list from your Mac's menu bar.

8) We created a number of tutorial videos to help you learn how to use Toodledo's advanced features.

9) We redesigned our subscription page and now support direct credit card payments in addition to PayPal, and we added a Platinum subscription level with increased storage and enhanced support.

iOS app (link)
1) We completed the redesign of our iOS app to improve the look and feel and improve usability. There are too many things in the redesign to mention here, please read the complete announcement for details.

2) Building on the redesign from the beginning of the year, we transformed it again for the iOS 7 release towards the end of the year. Toodledo is now an iOS7 optimized app.

2) We added "Saved Search" to the iOS app so you can now view all of your custom task lists. This was one of our top requests for the app, so we are happy that we were able to deliver.

3) We added Facebook integration so you can share any task on Facebook to let your friends know what you are doing.

4) We added the ability to duplicate Notes.

Overall
In addition to above, we fixed a number of bugs and smaller improvements across all of our products.

We appreciate all the support and suggestions that we have received from everyone. We are continuing to make Toodledo the best productivity tool on the internet, and we have big plans for 2014 and beyond. Thanks to everyone for making Toodledo a success.

Happy New Year!

PS. Please use promo code "holiday13" at checkout to get 10% off a subscription or renewal for you and your friends.
risk

Posted: Dec 25, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
Congratulations on a productive year. I'm happy to be back to Toodledo after being away for a few years.
smon

Posted: Dec 27, 2013
Thanks for 2013 Jake and a special thanks for the holiday discount.
Eddie S

Posted: Dec 31, 2013
Score: 2 Reference
Generic lists are a great addition to Toodledo - they allow for management of "life functions" at a more granular level. However, the most significant value of the lists will not be realized until two features are implemented (1) making the lists mobile and (2) making the lists shareable. For example: sharing a shopping list with your spouse.

Hopefully, these changes are coming next year :-)

Thanks and Happy New Year!
bizjfh

Posted: Jan 06, 2014
Would love to be able to create and view attachments on the iOS app. Thanks!
kleerkoat

Posted: Jan 08, 2014
sounds like exponential growth of features for a year's time! keep it up and congrats!
aleding

Posted: Jan 18, 2014
I am new to Toodledo and find this to rock the house. I posted in the more general chit-chat section about how much I love this app and am really happy to see that the company is going strong. I am hopeful I can help you guys add more users this year as I evangelize as much as possible about the nirvana known as Toodledo.

L8R
saskia.x

Posted: Jan 25, 2014
I just wanted to say a huge thankyou for the "unstar when completed" feature! This has been like a missing piece in the jigsaw for me, I've finally got a task list that feels relatively manageable & reliable. I use the star to mark those tasks I want to focus on in the next day or so, which means the starred tasks act as a really functional "daily todo list" without distractions from other tasks. I had attempted to use the star this way in the past but found my task list was quickly littered with starred repeating tasks (giving me an extra "housekeeping" chore), now this isn't a problem!

Using the star like this has also improved the way I use the hotlist; I always struggled to get it to accurately reflect what I needed to focus on, and now it's working really well :)
frankie.toodle

Posted: Apr 08, 2014
This was a year of several new features. Still I am waiting for some approvements in handling tasks and the usability of the web interface for some time now.

- ability to set a end date or number of occurences of repeating tasks
- ability to make tasks dependent upon another
- greater flexibility entering task dates by email
- web interface supporting saved searches
- web interface supporting saved searches
- web interface supporting saved searches...

But with the arrival of new features like outlines (which I'd really like to use, but they're still not mature enough) or notes (which I don't need, as I am using Evernote), I am afraid, not much more will be happening regarding tasks (which brought me to your service in the first place).

Regards,
Frank
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 08, 2014
We are still working on the Tasks section. What do you mean by "web interface supporting saved searches"? The web interface has the most powerful capabilities with regards to saved searches already.
Hunington Sachs

Posted: May 14, 2014
Fantastic functionality on your updates -- really like the Lists and Outline features especially.

Hoping that in the very near future you will reskin the design so it doesn't look like I'm using a product from 1994. I love the functionality, but the design should look more polished than it does. Even Crapware like Wunderlist has a better look and feel.
JCarl

Posted: May 15, 2014
Hope to see work on better collaboration features in 2014.

Thanks
coolexplorer

Posted: May 19, 2014
I Second the observation : "Hoping in the very near future you reskin the design so it doesn't look like a product from 1994. Love the functionality, but the design should look more polished."
It will enhance the 'pleasure' of using Toodledo on a daily basis. Toodledo Android is more aesthetic to use (with less functionality).
creinhard

Posted: May 27, 2014
Please don't change the interface! It's functional and clear! Who cares that it doesn't look like Facebook or Twitter?!

Chris
mattwatson12

Posted: May 29, 2014
When will "Lists" be included on the iPhone App? I like Lists but I see no point if I can't us it on my phone.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 29, 2014
This is on our to-do list, but it is our policy to not comment on our roadmap or delivery dates for future feature improvements.
Salgud

Posted: Jun 02, 2014
Posted by gggarrett:
I do not agree that there is anything old-fashioned about the interface. It was changed a year or so ago and stills looks and works just fine.

Actually, it was 3 years ago, July 2011. Whether it looks old-fashioned or not is a matter of taste. Some of us felt it looked old-fashioned when it was new. :-)
Ken Thomas

Posted: Jun 12, 2014
I personally think that Toodledo is an exceptionally powerful piece of personal task management software and I love using it.

However, I noticed that when I was searching for the 'perfect' to-do / task management app on the web, all I saw was the glowing reviews of apps like Wunderlist and Todoist etc. I've tried these and in my opinion, these pale in comparison with Toodledo's features and functionality, BUT they have a beautiful interface and are simple / easy to use and here's my gripe - these apps sell primarily because they are beautiful and simplistic looking. PRESENTATION (it's always the way) SELLS!! Toodledo is head and shoulders above the rest of the competition in terms of what it can do and provide, but the others are getting all the air time and I feel that Toodledo is getting lost in the mix.

I think it's time Toodledo do something about their interface or the inferior lot who seem to be getting more than their fair share and punching far above their weight will continue to get the press. For example, has Toodledo recently featured in a glowing review from the likes of LifeHacker et al? LifeHacker did another recent poll on the Five Best To-Do List Managers and the apps that came out on top were; Google Keep, Any.do, Wunderlist, Todoist, HabitRPG. The most recent review I found was from Blinklist and it wasn't all that flattering. Basically Toodledo was reviewed as being stuck in the middle ground of being a too powerful task management app while being too weak in the project management app. And the reviewer is right in my opinion, but that's another matter.

The point I'm trying to make is the simplistic / cluttered / complicated / complex interface is giving Toodledo no favours regarding what it can do. I believe it needs to move into the Apple type era of software for the masses and bring good design to a good product.

Just my $0.02 people.

Love the app!

This message was edited Jun 12, 2014.
Ken Thomas

Posted: Jun 13, 2014
Just to continue on with my previous comments, I've found a telling review of Toodledo being compared to its competition

http://www.technorms.com/33564/wunderlist-vs-any-do-vs-toodledo-vs-gqueues

Have a read. Toodledo is noted as being 'Old School but Solid'. The others (Wunderlist and Any.do) are noted as being "As Slick as they Come" and "Beautiful and Functional" AND were noted as first and second choice of the four apps in the review.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.