ForumsNewsIntroducing the Ribbon

Introducing the Ribbon
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 25, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Today we have released our first step in redesigning the Tasks section. We have taken the old "View By" section in the sidebar and turned it into the "Ribbon", a blue strip down the left side of the screen. The Ribbon provides a quick way to switch between different ways of viewing your tasks. It also allows you to easily collapse the sidebar to maximize the amount of screen space available for your tasks, so that you can focus on what's important.

For consistency, we have added the Ribbon to all of our major sections (Tasks, Notes, Outlines, Lists and Habits) and we plan on enhancing the other sections to take full advantage of the Ribbon in the future.

In addition, we have improved how long to-do lists are displayed. Now, the long lists will scroll within their task section instead of scrolling the entire page. The Toolbar and Ribbon will always remain visible. This means that you no longer need to scroll all the way to the top of the page when you want to add a new task, switch views or change your filters or sorts. This will save you time.

This is one of the biggest single changes that we will make to the Tasks section. Most of the rest of our redesign changes will be more incremental. We know that a big change like this will take some getting used to and that not everyone will immediately like it. When you use a productivity tool every day, you expect it to function a certain way so that you can get things done. With this change, you will need to relearn how to switch between different lists and some of you may need to make small adjustments to your column widths. We think that within a few days, you will have become accustomed to the new Ribbon and we hope that you will be more productive as a result.

We have been testing the Ribbon for several weeks with our Beta testers and have gotten very positive feedback. We have also done considerable testing ourselves across many different browsers and platforms, so we feel confident about this release. As with any release, it is possible that we have missed something minor so please let us know. We will be monitoring the forums and our support tickets carefully today and the rest of the week and will be quickly fixing anything that turns up.
sprouty76

Score: 1 Reference
Nice. Only thing I'd say is that the fairly dark background colour tends to draw the eye away from the tasks slightly.

The scrolling change is very welcome.
Yonten.

Love it. Great job. Many thanks for that.
Peter

Score: 3 Reference
Sweet.

I'm noticing that the number of tasks in each category does not populate in the "search" view.

Search imho is the most important feature of td and which I think should be elevated or renamed or something that makes it more prominent.

Thanks.
GSP1963

It's great. It feels natural and fluid and makes Tasks easier to use. Great work. I've been really happy with the UI changes you folks have been making these past several months.
mdrain

Agreed! The changes are fantastic.

One question: I noticed that on the Saved Searches view, task counts have been added to the right of each search. All of mine show counts of 0 unlike the other views. Will the Search task counts be fixed in a future update, or do the numbers serve a different purpose?

Update: Thank you for the quick fix!

This message was edited Aug 25, 2015.
dunkmason

Impressive - much cleaner layout and easier to use. Like other comments I really appreciate the work you're doing on the UI.

The only minor quirk so far is that all the entries on the left ribbon have counts of zero (eg under My Tasks (Hotlist, recent etc), Folders...) yet all the tasks are shown.
dandrei

My saved searches are now numbered differently. For instance, I was clicking on "8" to get a particular saved search, but this has changed now. Why?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you have the "task counts" account setting turned off, then the counts will all show 0 in the sidebar. This is clearly a bug that I'll fix in the next few minutes.

Update: this is now fixed

This message was edited Aug 25, 2015.
WillEverett

I mostly just stick to the "main" view on the web page and only occasionally make forays into folders and search, so I really like the new collapsible ribbon. Extra space to look at tasks is very nice.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Just fixed the bug where keyboard navigation using the numbers 1-9 to go to a particular list was off by one in some cases
Dave

I love the new ribbon! Thank you. Are there any plans for the task list to auto-update in some AJAXy sort of fashion?
Freebird_2

Really like this update. You guys clearly spend a lot of time thinking about UI. Well worth the subscription.
Ann M

Score: -1 Reference
" The Toolbar and Ribbon will always remain visible. This means that you no longer need to scroll all the way to the top of the page when you want to add a new task, switch views or change your filters or sorts. This will save you time."

I am working in chrome Version 44.0.2403.155 and this behavior is not working.

Thanks,
Ann
rschuhart

Not sure if this changed with the addition of the Ribbon, but it wasn't like this before the ribbon...

When I print my list now, the font is about 2x as large. What was a good medium size that would print about 50 tasks per page is now larger and I can only get 30 per page. Was this an intentional change and we are stuck with the larger font, or can we get the smaller print fonts back?
natgross

It's great but is erratic on Chrome. Depending where the mouse pointer is, it does scroll like the old way, but broken. could be related to integrated Toggle, I don't know.
Peter

Between this little tweek and IFTTT interoperability, TD is getting awesome and indispensable . I just put my money where my mouth is by renewing my subscription early. Why don't you all join me?

Thanks, Jake.

Peter Kaplan
hueypju

Thank you so much for this update. I'm delighted with the functionality of this suite -- it truly has taken the place of three or four separate apps I used to use -- and am so pleased that I found out about it. Indispensable indeed.
Xavanil

The ribbon is spot on. nice work.

Now, if you would only save the sort as part of a saved search, I'd pay for this thing.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
@acc.mcpherson : If your browser window is too short (620 pixels tall) then it will scroll the entire page instead of just the task section. This compromise was made for usability reasons because on short windows, less of the percentage of the space is devoted to tasks, so we thought whole window scrolling was better in this edge case.

@rschuhart: Try adjusting your browser window font size before printing, or use the "zoom" or "fit to page" setting in the print preview window
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.