ForumsNewsIntroducing Smart Quick Add

Introducing Smart Quick Add
Salgud

Posted: Dec 17, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the prompt reply, Jake.

I'll post here so others may benefit.

I've played a bit more with this, and entered some tasks very slowly and deliberately to see what is happening.

For example, I type: ICPC Mailing /Chantal S /medium /starred /tomorrow /next action /cw
As I enter each character after the /, the list appears with the possibilities, and as I type more characters, the list shortens down to one item. I finish typing the parameter, and go on the the next. It recognizes them all as I type. However, when I'm done typing and hit enter, it displays what I've typed in the name, minus the parameters which it no longer recognizes! How can it recognize as I'm entering them, but not after? If I hit enter again, it enters the parameters it recognized after I entered them all, but the others appear in the task name with the slashes, exactly as I typed them. So it looks something like "ICPC Mailing /cw /next action /medium" with a priority of medium (by default), Due Date tomorrow, Context Chantal S and is Starred.

The funny part is, I've already wasted many times the amount of time I'd ever save by having this feature testing it and posting here! So I'm not really concerned about it. I'm not one who worries about "wasting" a few seconds a day clicking with my mouse. Happy to help out in case someone else has a similar problem.

I AM curious to know if anyone else has experienced similar problems. This is under Win7 in Chrome Version 47.0.2526.80 m.
dchapiro

Posted: Dec 17, 2015
Great feature! Much faster than via menus :)
itp

Posted: Dec 18, 2015
Is there a way to add start date and start times via Smart Quick Add?
Salgud

Posted by Salgud:
Thanks for the prompt reply, Jake.

I'll post here so others may benefit.

I've played a bit more with this, and entered some tasks very slowly and deliberately to see what is happening.

For example, I type: ICPC Mailing /Chantal S /medium /starred /tomorrow /next action /cw
As I enter each character after the /, the list appears with the possibilities, and as I type more characters, the list shortens down to one item. I finish typing the parameter, and go on the the next. It recognizes them all as I type. However, when I'm done typing and hit enter, it displays what I've typed in the name, minus the parameters which it no longer recognizes! How can it recognize as I'm entering them, but not after? If I hit enter again, it enters the parameters it recognized after I entered them all, but the others appear in the task name with the slashes, exactly as I typed them. So it looks something like "ICPC Mailing /cw /next action /medium" with a priority of medium (by default), Due Date tomorrow, Context Chantal S and is Starred.

The funny part is, I've already wasted many times the amount of time I'd ever save by having this feature testing it and posting here! So I'm not really concerned about it. I'm not one who worries about "wasting" a few seconds a day clicking with my mouse. Happy to help out in case someone else has a similar problem.

I AM curious to know if anyone else has experienced similar problems. This is under Win7 in Chrome Version 47.0.2526.80 m.

Ok, I finally figured it out. I HAVE to enter each parameter when the app recognizes it, and not continue typing that one and on to the next. They have to be selected from the pull-down list, each one, as I enter it. If I do that, they are all recognized correctly. So I can't type:

ICPM Mailing /chantal s /high /tomorrow /every fri /cw all at once. I have to type:

ICPM Mailing /chaTAB/hTAB/cwTAB/tomTAB/every friTAB

I can type more of the parameter, but I have to hit enter or tab before I move on the the next.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Salgud, It sounds like you are not confirming the match. You need to press the tab or return key when a match is selected in the menu ( you can use the arrow keys to change the selection if there is more than one option ). If you just press space, Toodledo thinks you don't want to confirm the match and actually want that text in the title of your task. When a match is confirmed it will turn blue. If the detail is not blue, it means it will be part of the title.

itp, yes you can add both start-dates and start-times via Smart Quick Add. type /Dec 25 and the popup menu will give you the choice of adding that as a due-date or start-date. Use the arrow keys to select the one you want and press tab or enter to confirm. You can do start-time the same way.
Purveyor

Posted by Jake:
you can add both start-dates and start-times via Smart Quick Add. type /Dec 25 and the popup menu will give you the choice of adding that as a due-date or start-date.
This also works if you type the day of the week, but it assumes that you want the date to be this week. For example, if you type /Tue, it gives you Dec 15 (which is in the past) instead of Dec 22, which is Tuesday next week.

This message was edited Dec 18, 2015.
RMTrinity

Posted: Dec 22, 2015
Wow! Toodledo just got even better for me. I haven't found I have to go in any particular order: Even if the drop down menu suggests folders, I can start typing the date (Thursday), and it will pick up on it and give me that as an option. This is so much faster and easier, especially since I don't use all the fields every time.
c5000nc

Posted: Dec 22, 2015
I love the new Smart Quick Add as well. One thought to free up an added line since it takes up a whole (rather thick) row:

It could easily fit on the row above, between the Breadcrumb Trail to the left and Sort, etc., to the right. Fittingly for quickly adding a Task, just under the Toodledo logo!

At the risk of making this row seem a bit cluttered, this would free up valuable real estate to show at least one more Task.

My thought is most new Tasks are not so long with so many /date, etc., items added, to not fit where I indicated. And it could scroll right to left like an existing Task when it gets too long when added to. An alternative is to make the Smart Quick Add line optional, since the Quick Add is still on the top row.

It's important to remember it isn't just ToodleDo headers and (thankfully small) footer taking away our real estate. It is also browser tabs, search bars, etc., on top, and download footers and the Windows Task Bar at the bottom (for Windows, anyway).

Thanks for the continued great work!
ori.matalon

Posted: Dec 23, 2015
I love the new Smart Quick Add :-)
Adrien Beau

Posted: Dec 23, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by c5000nc:
the Windows Task Bar at the bottom (for Windows, anyway).

Note that you can easily move it to the left of the screen, reclaiming some more vertical space. It makes very much sense with today's wide screen.
pawelkaleta

Posted: Dec 24, 2015
Posted by pawelkaleta:
Small idea just to consider in the future - you can think about addiding some additional special conmands following the "/", like for example "//" could stand for "use exactly the same parameters for task being currently entered as posted to the previous task added via smart quick add". It would greatly improve entering set of tasks with similar parameters.

And similarly, some other command, like let's say. "/*" could stand for "capture all parameters & filters from current view". It would allow to easly add tasks to currently displayed list very easy and fast.
c5000nc

Posted: Dec 26, 2015
Posted by Adrien Beau:
Posted by c5000nc:
the Windows Task Bar at the bottom (for Windows, anyway).

Note that you can easily move it to the left of the screen, reclaiming some more vertical space. It makes very much sense with today's wide screen.

Thanks Adrien! That is a big help with a wide screen!!
c5000nc

Posted: Jan 05, 2016
Posted by c5000nc:
I love the new Smart Quick Add as well. One thought to free up an added line since it takes up a whole (rather thick) row:

It could easily fit on the row above, between the Breadcrumb Trail to the left and Sort, etc., to the right. Fittingly for quickly adding a Task, just under the Toodledo logo!

At the risk of making this row seem a bit cluttered, this would free up valuable real estate to show at least one more Task.

My thought is most new Tasks are not so long with so many /date, etc., items added, to not fit where I indicated. And it could scroll right to left like an existing Task when it gets too long when added to. An alternative is to make the Smart Quick Add line optional, since the Quick Add is still on the top row.

It's important to remember it isn't just ToodleDo headers and (thankfully small) footer taking away our real estate. It is also browser tabs, search bars, etc., on top, and download footers and the Windows Task Bar at the bottom (for Windows, anyway).

Thanks for the continued great work!

My hopefully final thought on this: More and more newer laptop screens are wider and not as tall, for gaming and watching movies. So, they tend to have a little less top to bottom space, making every 1/4" more valuable.

Thanks.
MisterMuso

Posted: Jan 12, 2016
Soooo happy about this new feature, thanks for the good work!

It does take a little getting used to if adding multiple parameters, i.e. hitting TAB or RETURN at the right times, but it's well worth it. Adding tasks just got even easier!
PetrV

Posted: Jan 14, 2016
Posted by Bridget K:
Posted by tomcal:
Since a major benefit of the smart feature is to be able to keep your hands on the keyboard, is there a way to get to the quick add box without having to reach for the mouse?

The keyboard shortcut for quick add is "Q". Enjoy!

Would you add this information into list of shortcuts? :-)
boydston01

Posted: Jan 19, 2016
Posted by Purveyor:
Posted by Jake:
you can add both start-dates and start-times via Smart Quick Add. type /Dec 25 and the popup menu will give you the choice of adding that as a due-date or start-date.
This also works if you type the day of the week, but it assumes that you want the date to be this week. For example, if you type /Tue, it gives you Dec 15 (which is in the past) instead of Dec 22, which is Tuesday next week.

Can you make it even smarter by assuming, if the start/due date is a day of the week that is in the past, it means the next one that occurs in the future? E.g. Today is Tuesday and I enter task with "/mon". It should assume the following Monday, not yesterday.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 19, 2016
Thanks for the suggestion. We will look into that.
kralon20

Posted: Jan 21, 2016
This is a great feature.
elysee

Posted: Mar 11, 2016
Will you add smart quick add also for the mobile apps?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 11, 2016
Yes, its on our todo list.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.