ForumsQuestionsiPhone app auto synchronization?

iPhone app auto synchronization?
piyush_soni

Posted: Mar 25, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Apologies if I am wrong, but is it the case that I cannot set up a time interval for auto synchronization on the iPhone app so that I don't have to 'remember' to open the app itself to remind me about a task I created through the website.

In Synchronization options I only see two options about it : Sync on Startup and Sync on Edit. Not 'Sync every half an hour' which I need.

Thanks,
Piyush
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 26, 2011
Apple does not allow apps to operate in the background in this way, so it is impossible to do this. If you set reminders to come from the website, then you won't miss any that haven't synced to the phone yet.
piyush_soni

Posted: Mar 27, 2011
Humm ... Could anything be done by using 'Push Notifications'? (I don't know much about app development for Apple).

Often I create task just so that it reminds me two hours later to do something. The 'Reminder email' sometimes just doesn't come in time.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 27, 2011
Yes, push notifications are used to send reminders from the website. If you set the app to send reminders from the website, they will all arrive regardless of if the app has synced.
piyush_soni

Posted: Mar 28, 2011
Oh. Ok.. Thanks. I remember seeing that setting but left it to 'from the device' as the other one needed network and mine is an iPod Touch.

I'd like 'Alarms come from website, but only for non-synced tasks.' :) - so once a task is synced, you let the device handle its reminders. And before sending the reminders from the website you just check if this task has been synced to the iPhone/iPod app. Is it possible?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
In order to do this, the website would need to keep track of every device and exactly which tasks are on each device. This is possible, but it is a huge engineering effort and storage cost for something that happens so seldom. Hopefully, Apple will provide a better reminder mechanism in future updates so that we can handle this edge case better.
piyush_soni

Humm ... agreed.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.