ForumsQuestionsEdit Completed Date?

Edit Completed Date?
paulebacher

Posted: Jul 20, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
Is there any way specify a completed date different from today's date when completing a task or a way to edit this field after the task is closed?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 20, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Unfortunately, this isn't possible, but it is on our to-do list. However, we can't comment on a timeframe for implementation.

Thanks
Ron

Posted: Aug 01, 2011
Score: 4 Reference
It is amazing to me that the ToodleDo developers have been giving the same brush-off answer to this request for at least three years now (see below).

It may still be your opinion that the ability to modify the Date Completed field is relatively unimportant. If so, then you reject the contrary opinions of the many users who have been clamoring for this functionality for so long. You also ignore the simple logic that if ToodleDo is to serve as an accurate tool for tracking what has been done, and when, as well as what remains to do, we users must be able to correct errors we make in checking off tasks.

I so hoped you would address this longstanding request in the latest redesign, but no. You have made time for scores of other tweaks, some quite useful and others not, but not one of them is as important to me and many others as adding the ability to correct the Date Completed field.

I just renewed my subscription, mostly because learning yet another new app is too much trouble, so I'm not going to blather about going over to the competition, etc. But I find your foot-dragging on this fix rather insulting, and no doubt many others do as well.

Posted: Jul 29, 2008
+ - Score: 0 Quote

There is no good reason why we have not made the completion date editable through the website. It is just a matter of time for us to implement it.

It is our opinion that the completion date is one of the least important fields and that it is not a big deal if it is off by a day or two, so we have been prioritizing other features (like advanced search and multi-edit) above making the completion date editable.

In an ideal world we would have unlimited resources, but we don't, so we try to focus on things that provide the maximum benefit.

I'd be happy to manually edit that one task for you. If you want me to, please use the "contact us" form to give me permission to look at your list and give me the details about which task you want edited and how you want it edited.

This message was edited Aug 01, 2011.
bruthaf

Posted: Sep 20, 2011
I second the motion on this. I have had a Pro Subscription for a couple of years, but I am likely to cancel at the end of the subscription period if the UI remains this way. There are other options other than Toodledo and accuracy for this field is highly important to me.
Salgud

Posted: Sep 20, 2011
DLTDHYOTWO!
paulebacher

Posted: Sep 23, 2011
Quote - It is our opinion that the completion date is one of the least important fields and that it is not a big deal if it is off by a day or two, so we have been prioritizing other features (like advanced search and multi-edit) above making the completion date editable.

Reply - In some environments having an accurate Completion Date can be very important. I would strongly encourage TD to raise the priority of make this an editable field. It would also be helpful if there was an option to specify a Completion Date other than Today when completing a task.
Folke X

Score: -1 Reference
Just very curious (no criticism): When does it matter?
Salgud

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by paulebacher:

Reply - In some environments having an accurate Completion Date can be very important. I would strongly encourage TD to raise the priority of make this an editable field. It would also be helpful if there was an option to specify a Completion Date other than Today when completing a task.

It seems to me that two antiquated terms might just apply in this situation. If you can find an old English dictionary, look up "accountability" and "responsibility". Basically, those who are DEMANDING that TD incorporate Completion Date editing are saying, "I'm not competent enough to remember to mark tasks complete when I complete them, so I want TD to build in a feature to compensate for my problem." The people with the problem are "responsible" for fixing it, and are the one who should be held "accountable" for any negative result. It's up to them to meet the stringent requirements of the environment in which they've chosen to work, not some software vendor's.

Graciously, TD has agreed to add this feature, but since it's needed by a relatively few users, it would logically be a ways down the list of over 1600 items on their task list.
Purveyor

@Salgud, you're way out of line here.

Do you mark every task as complete the instant that you complete it? Have you never noticed later in the day or on the following day that a task was completed even though you hadn't checked it off? In other words, have you never made a mistake that you would like to correct?

And, to answer the question by Folke X: It can be very useful to know how long it took to complete a task and you can't do that correctly unless the completion date is correct. Some people even get paid based on how long it takes to complete a project. The documentation of the dates and times for that project consists of more than what's in Toodledo but it's nice to have those dates and times in Toodledo to review, analyze and submit. One of the important dates is the Date Completed. If this date is wrong, then any report or analysis based on that date will be wrong. What do you do if the date is wrong? You correct it, right? Except that for some bizarre reason, Toodledo doesn't allow this field to be edited.

Hope that helps.
Salgud

Score: -1 Reference
Posted by Purveyor:
@Salgud, you're way out of line here.

Do you mark every task as complete the instant that you complete it? Have you never noticed later in the day or on the following day that a task was completed even though you hadn't checked it off? In other words, have you never made a mistake that you would like to correct?

And, to answer the question by Folke X: It can be very useful to know how long it took to complete a task and you can't do that correctly unless the completion date is correct. Some people even get paid based on how long it takes to complete a project. The documentation of the dates and times for that project consists of more than what's in Toodledo but it's nice to have those dates and times in Toodledo to review, analyze and submit. One of the important dates is the Date Completed. If this date is wrong, then any report or analysis based on that date will be wrong. What do you do if the date is wrong? You correct it, right? Except that for some bizarre reason, Toodledo doesn't allow this field to be edited.

Hope that helps.

It may be my opinion, but it's not out of line. Do I forget to enter a task as completed until the next day? All the time. Is it important where I work? Never. The only one it matters to is me, and I don't care.

But if it were important to my work, I'd either select a tool with that capability or make sure I entered them at the end of every day. I'd even create a task with a reminder set for a little before quitting time to remind me to bring TD status up to date. (Actually, I do this with one of my duties that has to be current at the end of the day) If that much is hinging on it, it's up to me to make it right. I would not blame it on TD. I am responsible and accountable for meeting the requirements of my employer, not TD.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2011.
Purveyor

Who is blaming Toodledo?
Salgud

Posted by Purveyor:
Who is blaming Toodledo?

I stand corrected. I would not "pass responsibility" on to TD.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The completion date can be edited by our API, so there is probably a 3rd party tool that will allow you to do this. It isn't yet possible via our web interface but it is still on our to-do list. I know that there are some things that have been on our to-do list for a long time. This is because our list is not a first-in-first-out kind of thing. It's large and ever-growing and constantly being reprioritized. We cant do everything immediately and some things just don't float to the top.
Purveyor

Okay Jake, but what I missing here? I've done a lot of work with databases and input screens, and it is trivially easy to lock or unlock a field for editing.

It seems to me that you could make the required change in the time that it took you to compose your post. What is the issue that is holding you back?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you can implement this feature in 2 minutes, then I should hire you. Please submit your resume.
Purveyor

I did ask: What am I missing here?
I haven't done much website development. In desktop applications, it is easy to lock and unlock a form field in applications developed in at least three of the languages in Visual Studio.
The fact that your API allows the completion date to be modified makes it clear that there's no peculiar limitation in your database structure. You can display the field on the website but you can't make it editable. Is this a limitation of Ajax?

Anyway, I'm guessing that an explanation of the problem is quite technical and beyond the scope of this forum. I was just wondering.
paulebacher

Posted: Oct 20, 2011
Posted by Toodledo:
The completion date can be edited by our API, so there is probably a 3rd party tool that will allow you to do this. It isn't yet possible via our web interface but it is still on our to-do list. I know that there are some things that have been on our to-do list for a long time. This is because our list is not a first-in-first-out kind of thing. It's large and ever-growing and constantly being reprioritized. We cant do everything immediately and some things just don't float to the top.

Dear TD Administrator:

Thank you for listening to a customer (me!) and for your input. I am not about to leave TD over this and I think some of the other posts have distorted my intent and are frankly condescending but your input is what I hoped for from TD. Thanks.
M_ichel

Posted: Dec 05, 2011
Without all the bells & whistles as to WHY I would like this feature:

YES, please count me in, also, in support of this feature!

AND the ability to display/print it. (Like next to the "Date Due", maybe??? ;-)

Thanks.
kristinanders

Posted: Jan 24, 2012
Just figured I'd cast my vote to add this functionality as well.

I haven't played around with any 3rd party tools as of yet, though. Has anyone found one that'll accomplish this?
kyujin

Posted: Jan 25, 2012
Don't know how the TD prioritizes their to-do-list, but hope my post helps bring this feature up on the list.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.