ForumsQuestionsBulk shift subtask due dates

Bulk shift subtask due dates
kaeldra

Posted: Sep 20, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I have a couple projects, set up as tasks with multiple subtasks, that I didn't have time to finish before leaving for vacation. Is there a way to change all the due dates for a task and its subtasks at once, preferably "shift task due dates back one month" or something similar?

From searching the forum, it sounds like the closest thing to bulk-editing is to export as CSV, edit in excel, and re-import, but since I don't want all the due dates to be the same that method won't save that much time. Any ideas?
Purveyor

How many subtasks do you want to change?

You can try the Search and Multi-Edit feature: http://www.toodledo.com/info/search.php
You can use "Is subtask" as one of the search criteria.

Also, if you export/import, you can make whatever changes you want in Excel, and even create a formula to change the dates, so the due dates don't have to be the same.

Keep in mind that when you import, there's no checking for duplicates, so you'll have to delete the old tasks. Also, the Date Created and Date Modified fields will be set to the date that you imported the tasks.
kaeldra

Thanks for the search and excel suggestions. I commonly use formulas in excel but haven't ever for dates. Do you have an example of a formula to modify dates (e.g. September 20 2011 plus 1 month)? If not I will try googling :)

FYI, I am trying to change about 15-20 subtasks.
Salgud

Try:

=EDATE(A1,1)

where cell A1 contains the date you want to add a month to.
Purveyor

You need to install the Analysis Toolpak to use the EDATE function.
But do you really want to move a task exactly one month into the future? If not, you can just add a number of days to a date with a formula like =a1+ 28 (which will keep the Due Date on the same day of the week).

kaeldra, with only 15 to 20 tasks, you're better off just editing the tasks individually. This will probably take less time than an export/import, and less likely to result in some major errors, and it will preserve the original entry date. Even the Multi-Edit function is probably too much work for a small number of tasks that require different dates.

Edited to add:
Do you really need dates for the subtasks? Something to think about.

This message was edited Sep 21, 2011.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.