ForumsQuestionsEditing files

Editing files
Mark Underwood

Posted: Sep 22, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Is there any trick (or planned enhancement) to allow me to edit a file 'in place'? Currently I have to download it, go to the relevant directory, open it, edit it, then go back to TD, locate the changed file and re-upload it.

It'd be so much nicer to have all of that automated, so that I could just click "edit" the file would open and when I exited Word/Excel/whatever, the modified version would be uploaded automatically.

I've seen the recommendation to use links into Google Docs, but sadly that won't work for me: my current employer, like many, blocks Google docs (and Evernote, and Sugarsync, and just about any online storage other than TD!)

Any ideas?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
This is a good idea, but its not really possible with the way that the internet works. Its not possible to open a file from the internet directly into a program like Word, without downloading it first to your desktop. And it is not possible to save a file directly from Word to the internet.
Purveyor

It is really possible because of the way that the internet works:
Edit files remotely
With SugarSync your changes sync back to your computer automatically. Forget to leave your computer on? No worries! You have full access to all of your synced files even when your computers are offline, so you can edit your files from anywhere. The next time your computer connects to the Internet, all the changes you made in your SugarSync website sync back to the cloud and to your other devices automatically.

http://www.sugarsync.com/products/access.html

And, it is possible to save a file directly from Word to the internet, if you use Word 2010:
Save a document to your Skydrive from Office 2010

This message was edited Sep 22, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Ok, I shouldn't have said "not possible". What I should have said is that it is really difficult and requires 3rd party tools and subscriptions to external services to work. This isn't really Toodledo's area of strength.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.