ForumsQuestionsWeb site vs. iOS app sort order differences

Web site vs. iOS app sort order differences
mlb32704

Posted: Nov 29, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
This latest iOS app update requires that you sort on three criteria, there is no way to just select two. The ToodleDo Web site still only offers two sort criteria unless you go Pro, I am Basic, no need or intentions of going Pro. The end result is that no matter what I do, my ToodleDo lists on my iOS devices are out of order when compared to the Web site.

This is a problem.

A couple of potential fixes would be 1.) remove the third sort criteria from the iOS app unless you are a Pro subscriber; 2.) add a "None" option under at least the third if not all three sort criteria in the iOS app; or 3.) provide a third sort criteria as part of the basic functionality on the Web site.

Whatever ToodleDo chooses to do here, the key thing is to offer the same functionality on both the Web site and iOS app, so that task lists sort exactly the same no matter where you are viewing/editing them.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2012.
j2020

Score: -1 Reference
Posted by mlb32704:
I am Basic, no need or intentions of going Pro.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if something is important enough to you to write a lengthy feature request about it, maybe it's also worth paying for. A $14.95 annual subscription comes out to 4 pennies a day.

mlb32704

j2020, I was really looking for a response back from someone at ToodleDo, or someone who could actually respond back with something of substance, versus an opinion on how long a post should be, or how much money I should be willing to spend. The truth of the matter is, if there was one feature in Pro that warranted the expense from my perspective, I would have signed up for it a long time ago. I've been using ToodleDo for years, it made it possible for me to switch from Palm to iPhone way back when, it is still my Number One app, I absolutely love ToodleDo, and I would gladly donate to help the cause as appropriate. I know and understand the functionality in Pro, and I really don't want Pro. It's overkill for my needs. Seriously. I like Basic. If they started charging for Basic, I would pay the money. I'm not paying $14.95 a year just to get a third sorting criteria that I don't want or need, just so ToodleDo looks the same across devices and the Web site. That's a Pro feature on the Web site. So I'm suggesting that it should either be removed from the iOS app, or added to the site for Basic. My post had a purpose, sorry if you think that I'm cheap or longwinded, you ought to focus on posts that you can provide a real answer to, and save your opinions for other forums that warrant them.

j2020

Score: -1 Reference
Posted by mlb32704:
if there was one feature in Pro that warranted the expense from my perspective, I would have signed up for it... I'm not paying $14.95 a year... just so ToodleDo looks the same across devices and the Web site.

I did not call you long winded, nor did I call you cheap. As a Pro user who only uses one or two of the Pro features myself (but who finds those few features invaluable) I was merely offering a change of perspective. My point was that an instant solution to your problem already exists if you want to utilize it, and that the price may be worth it just for that one feature even if you have no use for the others. If it isn't, that's fine. I'm sorry you were offended by my suggestion.
mlb32704

Sorry j2020, I overreacted, my apologies. I don't know what it is about ToodleDo and this growing division between Pro and Basic users. I just reviewed some of my older posts and noticed a bunch of Pro users getting on this similar bandwagon to one of my previous posts, calling me cheap because I didn't want to spend the money for Pro. Oh yeah, they went on and on about what kinds of gifts I probably give my wife for the holidays, how I probably live with my mother and have no real job, how I'm keeping the poor developers at ToodleDo from paying the rent each month, it went on and on. Some real classy individuals. I've since reported the entire post to ToodleDo as a violation under their forum rules, you should check it out, it is hilarious. In the mean time, I do understand what you are saying, I'm going to wait and see if a.) ToodleDo changes the situation, and/or b.) I can live with the situation. If not, I'll probably go Pro, who knows. Thanks again.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you do not want to use the 3rd sort criteria, then set it to be the same as the 2nd criteria and it will not be used. For example:

1st: Folder
2nd: Priority
3rd: Priority

This is the same as

1st: Folder
2nd: Priority
mlb32704

I have all iOS devices set to Due Date (1st), Tag (2nd) and Tag (3rd). My Web settings are Due Date (1st) and Tag (2nd). When you compare my Task list on the Web versus an iOS device, the content is the same, but the order is slightly different. Nothing else has changed on my end besides the iOS update. A possible bug?

Jake

Toodledo Founder
It isn't a bug, it is what happens when you don't have a 3rd sort criteria. If several of your tasks have the same first and second sort then (for the purposes of the list) they are exactly the same, and their order amongst themselves will be random and unpredictable. The order may even change between refreshes of the page. If you want a consistent 3rd sort then you will need to pick a 3rd sort (this is why we made the 3rd sort).
mlb32704

Posted: Nov 30, 2012
I understand. I actually did some experiments this morning and came to the same conclusion. I have a handful of tasks with the same tag in the same list, those are the ones that are not appearing in the exact same order. Not a big deal. As far as the third sort goes, back to my original statements - you are now offering a third sort as a standard feature in the iOS app. Have you considered offering that same third sort as a standard feature on the Web site as well?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have thought about it, but do not have any decision at this time.
mlb32704

Score: 1 Reference
I totally understand. This one I can live with. And the look and feel changes with the next release will probably alleviate all of the other issues I'm running into. Still very happy with ToodleDo and the support behind the product, best game in town.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.