ForumsQuestionsProblems with typing in tags

Problems with typing in tags
ahfriedman

Posted: May 06, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
When I'm typing in the tag field the screen will spontaneously start doing really odd things (going to a new view, opening a search box) I must be accidentally triggering the hotkeys, but I have no idea how to stop that. Sometimes if I delete or backspace over a character it will take me somewhere else. Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 06, 2013
The backspace key will trigger the web browser's "back" button. Since this is happening when you are editing a tag, I think either you are accidentally pressing return or tab to cause the tag editor to go away before you hit the delete key. Or perhaps you have a browser plugin that is causing the browser to misbehave.
TempestNathan

Posted: Jun 08, 2013
I'm having the same issue. I don't think it's an accidental click or a browser plugin. Specifically what happens is this:

You click on the tag field, and the existing tag is highlighted by default (by ToodleDo) for ease of editing. However, the browser does not realize you are editing a text field at this point, so it takes backspace as a page navigation. If you first explicitly click IN the tag box, then hit backspace, it works. But it's *very* easy to forget to do this when you see the text highlighted for you, and is inconvenient regardless since you need to click, then re-highlight, then backspace.

The workaround is to use the Delete key instead of backspace, but it's easy to forget to do that too!

(This is in the latest release version of Firefox.)

Edit: I can't seem to reproduce this now, so maybe it's dependent on some specific circumstances, or maybe I was totally mistaken and it was actually just what I describe below:

This message was edited Jun 08, 2013.
TempestNathan

I think what's happening is that if you accidentally move the mouse cursor off of the text entry box it disappears. Fairly frequently I'm finding I'll click on the tag, let go of the mouse to hit backspace and type in a new tag, then find that I'm on a different page because I moved the cursor slightly while letting go of the mouse.

I'd love it if the tag entry box didn't disappear until the user either hits Enter or actually clicks outside, as opposed to just moving the mouse cursor out.

Edit: Ah, or even trickier: click in the text box and select the text of the tags you want to delete. I've found I instinctively select right to left since there's more blank space in the text box on the right side, so it's easiest to select the entire tags that way. Once it's all selected, let go of mouse to hit backspace with right hand and go to type in new tags. Since you had the mouse button down to select, even if you moused out of the field, it won't disappear, so sometimes this will work fine. However, once you let go of the mouse button, if the mouse moves even one pixel it will trigger the mouseout event and the box will disappear. Hence frustrating, seemingly random behavior (until I figured this out).

This message was edited Jun 08, 2013.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We will look into this. It may work to prevent a mouse-out dismissal of the box once you have clicked on the box. Although we will need to add a X button to manually dismiss the box in this case.
modum

Posted: Jun 09, 2013
+1 @TempestNathan

@Jake An auto-complete enhancement would be even better.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 10, 2013
We already have an autocomplete feature for entering tags. When you are typing a tag, it will get bold if it is a match. Press tab to autocomplete.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.