ForumsQuestionsGoogle Calendar sync frequency

Google Calendar sync frequency
Anders

Posted: Oct 23, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
In my experience, it can vary quite a bit, but once a day is a lowish figure. I usually see it update at least twice a day.
dfzuluaga

Posted: Dec 28, 2009
I would love to see Toodledo supporting CalDav. I think most GTD users are waiting for this feature. I even wanted to implement it myself.
Cecile

Posted: Jan 28, 2010
I seem to have a different problem related to the synchronization with Google calendar:

- When I create a new task, it appears correctly in Google calendar -- not immediately, but within a day and that is fine with me.
- However when I make a change to a task such as changing its due date, this update doesn't seem to be reflected in Google calendar at all. For example: I created a task last week which had a certain due date. Then during last week I changed the due date several times. None of these updates were reflected in Google calendar and I still see the task under the first due date that it had a week ago when I first created the task.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this kind of task update not correctly published by Toodledo, or not picked by Google calendar?

Thanks in advance.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 28, 2010
This is a known issue with Google Calendar. It often doesn't pick up changes to tasks. We don't know why, because we send them the updated information as soon as you change it.
wow

Posted: Feb 23, 2010
I have been working recently with Google Calendar. It seems that making changes to an event (such as it's name or time) will not be picked up by Google Calendar. Rather they seem to reference the event key. If you had "Eat Dinner, 2/22/10, 5PM, abc123" as the event, date, time, and key, then changed to "Eat Dinner, 2/22/10, 5PM, xyz789" Google Calendar would pick up on the change and (at whatever time the decide to be convenient) will update the event appropriately.

The frequency as to how often they check for updates (as mentioned in previous posts in this forum) seems to be "at least once every 24 hours": Google Calendar Help

This message was edited Feb 23, 2010.
coolkendude

Posted: Feb 24, 2010
So how do you change the key?
Cecile

Posted: Mar 05, 2010
I believe that the events are sent from Toodledo to Google calendar in a format resembling this:

BEGIN:VEVENT
URL:http://www.toodledo.com
CREATED:20091231T000000
DTSTAMP:20091231T000000
UID:4f8679d3f3b74948ca735f0385a45684#toodledo.com
SUMMARY:Eat dinner
DESCRIPTION:
PRIORITY:1
TRANSP:OPAQUE
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20100128
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20100128
END:VEVENT

Which of the field(s) need to be updated for Google to pick up the update? If it is "UID" (which I assume is the event key), then can we ask the Toodledo developers to automatically update this field whenever an update is made to an event, so the change is picked up by Google Calendar? If it was possible, that would be great.

I am no expert on this so please don't hesitate to correct me if I made a mistake.

Thanks,
Cecile
uttsjs

Posted: Jul 20, 2010
I have an awkward work-around if anyone wants to start with a "clean slate" ... such as fixing up dates that never seem to get re-sync'd.

Unsubscribe from toodledo ical in Google Calendar. Then add-by-URL ical_live.ics (assuming you originally used ical_gcal_live.ics) ... And it syncs the new ICS right away. You can toggle back and do the same thing and re-add the gcal.ics. Seems to load each from scratch each time. You can't re-add the same ics twice in a row as it does not reload the file ... just reloads what was in google before but as long as you use a different one it reloads right away.

I can't see any difference using either of the 2 ics files ... both produce the same result in Google

Obviously not an ongoing solution but it will clean up and lingering items with bad dates in your calendar. I had a few repeating items in Toodledo that went on forever in Google. I was able to use this to get that cleaned up.
goalgetter.007

Posted: Jul 24, 2010
@uttsjs

This is not the way I would REALLY like to have it, but for the moment it is a great find.

Thanx for posting!
dbareis

Posted: Aug 08, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I was wondering if the problem was not at the google end (my changes haven't updated in days) so I tried the validator at "http://arnout.engelen.eu/icalendar-validator/validate/".

Submitting the url "webcal://www.toodledo.com/id/youridhere/ical_live_gcal.ics" shows (for me) "Errors found: 46 results in 16 components" so its sounding to me like a bug in "Toodledo":

Some sample problems:

1. ! CRLF should be used for newlines
Related RFC 5545 section: 3.1

2. ! Property [ORGANIZER] must be specified once
Related RFC 5546 section: 3.2.1
3. ! DATE-TIME value in [CREATED] must be specified in UTC time
! DATE-TIME value in [DTSTAMP] must be specified in UTC time
Related RFC 5545 section: 3.8.7.2

This message was edited Aug 08, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 08, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I'll check that out. I know that we had to intentionally have some invalid sections because Google's iCal importer was slightly invalid, but this might have changed.

Thanks for the tip about the validator.
rob

Posted: Aug 28, 2010
I have the same problem with editing re-occurring events. GCal sync worked fine when I used to do this with RTM, but not with Toodledo. In both cases edits being made with Appigo's ToDo app for the iPhone. (Hence the enforced switch from RTM to Toodledo.)

In both cases these edits are reflected on the Toodledo or RTM websites. But only when using RTM does the relevant GCal get updated.

That does suggest to me that there is an issue with the iCal feed from Toodledo.
piyush_soni

Posted: Sep 24, 2010
Is there an update on this?
whitneybailey77

Posted: Sep 28, 2010
I would also be interested to know the status of the "syncing changes" issue; I have to constantly reshuffle when I'm going to do what, and having a task list that's constantly out of date with my calendar just creates more work and decreases my ability to get things done. What is Google's problem that they're completely unresponsive on this issue, and so difficult to contact with comments? It's so basic; this is ridiculously bad customer service on their part.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 28, 2010
It is very difficult to sync with Google Calendar, but we are working on improvements.
appieh

Posted: Oct 13, 2010
Hi guys,

Is there some more news about sync. google calender ?

it's the item i waiting for at this moment.
rob

Posted: Nov 14, 2010
Some news on your progress would be very much welcomed.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 15, 2010
Unfortunately, it is not possible to get Google to sync more often. We have tried everything. Surprisingly, we can see from our server logs that Google actually fetches the data about once every hour, but for some reason known only to Google, it takes 8-24 hours for Google to process this data and get the updates into your calendar.

We have found a way to get Google update tasks that you edited on Toodledo, so that you don't have old data (you still need to wait the 24 hours though). We have a little more testing to do, but it seems to work.
rob

Posted: Nov 17, 2010
We have found a way to get Google update tasks that you edited on Toodledo, so that you don't have old data (you still need to wait the 24 hours though). We have a little more testing to do, but it seems to work.

I very, very much look forward to seeing you release that.
PKJR

Posted: Nov 17, 2010
how is this guy doing? it seems to be an immediate update?
http://www.busymac.com/busycal/videos.html#busycal-google
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.