ForumsQuestionsSave Sorts with Searches

Save Sorts with Searches
j.bed

Posted: Dec 18, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
I think the saved searches feature is awesome! I use it all the time, and I've created searches that show the tasks I can work on from places I am commonly working at (e.g. I have a search that combines the contexts of Office, Phone, and Computer for when I'm at my office sitting at my desk where all of those things are available to me, etc.). I also have searches that I've saved that show all the potential next actions for each location (so I can star/mark them for action), and another for all the projects I'm managing (using subtasks) so I can review them and identify next actions and kick stalled projects in the nads. I seem to find a new use for these searches every day!!! AMAZING!

Anyway, my problem is, as you can probably guess, is that each of these searches needs to be sorted differently. For example, seeing potential tasks to work on sorted by context or priority is very useful, but, I want to see projects sorted by goal or folder (which I use to separate work from personal items). Is there a way to save the sort order with the search it's designed for?
Purveyor

Posted: Dec 19, 2013
Take a look at Jake's post here https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/17447/-81955/read.html where he says:
I know that you (and a few others) have been asking for saved sort/filters for years. We have not done it yet because it is a lot of work for relatively little gain, since this feature would only save a few clicks here and there.
Salgud

Posted: Dec 19, 2013
Posted by Purveyor:
Take a look at Jake's post here https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/17447/-81955/read.html where he says:
I know that you (and a few others) have been asking for saved sort/filters for years. We have not done it yet because it is a lot of work for relatively little gain, since this feature would only save a few clicks here and there.

And this is how I replied to Jake at that time:

Jake, I would like to suggest that it's more than just optimizing clicks. I, and many other TD power users virtually live in Saved Searches, and frequently switch between them during the day. Dozens of times. And each time, we either have to think about how to reset the sort order and the filters, or, choose one setting that works "most of the time", which is what I and many others, I suspect, do. This is more than just clicks, it's sub-optimal use of the tool because of this limitation. I would get a much clearer and more accurate representation of my task list if I had each Saved Search sorted and filtered all the time to fit the purpose of that search.

So, to me at least, it is somewhat more than just optimizing clicks, it's about optimizing TD. Thanks for your understanding.
mark_1350940309

Posted: Dec 21, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
I whole-heartedly agree.

One of the main points I took away from reading GTD is that you have to be able to trust your system - specifically that when you add a task you trust that the system will bring it to your attention in a timely manner.

In this case, a Saved Search may show me, for example, all tasks with sub-tasks (projects). But for it to be clear and useful, I need to sort that list by Status and set sub-task display inline. Then I can see all Active projects at a glance, and I can trust my system.

Without that capability it's not just the extra couple of clicks, it's the little twinge of doubt every time I look at that search that I might be missing something. Ultimately that's what leads users like me to become disillusioned with a tool and go in search of another one.

Mark
fbradley

Posted: Mar 20, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
I notice that lots of people are asking for this feature for a number of years now.

Come on Toodledo let's get it sorted ;-)

I have to say this feature is a deal breaker in terms of my continued use of Toodledo and it's continued absence is giving me no option but to look for a different tool.
Sabina A.

Posted: Mar 20, 2014
We understand and have not forgotten about this feature request. It's still on our to-do list for a future update.

Thanks
ykphuah

Posted: Mar 21, 2014
Yeah, save sorts will be nice, together with the "show" and "subtasks" settings as well.

Its not about saving a few clicks, its about not having to think about what should I sort/show this view with. Once everything is set up, basically we don't think anymore when using the lists.
jgdaley2

Posted: Mar 29, 2014
I agree as well. It's not just saving cllcks - it's not having to remember how each search is set up and why! Would be a major improvement in my opinion.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2014.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.