ForumsQuestionsAttachments

Attachments
robfuzz

Posted: Nov 22, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
I'm confused about attachments in Toodledo. I've subscribed before to try them out but when I clicked on the attachment it doesn't open the attachement, it downloads it to my computer. Every time. In every other task manager you click on your attachment link and it opens the attachment. Period. Can someone help me understand why Toodledo works this way? I don't remember if I was attaching files I'd dragged from my computer or whether these were Google Drive files. I was thrilled there was an Evernote connection but clicking on an attached note did not take me to Evernote.
Any help appreciated.
Adrien Beau

Posted: Nov 23, 2015
> when I clicked on the attachment it doesn't open the attachement, it downloads it to my computer

Either behavior can be suggested by a website, but ultimately, it is up to your browser. I believe you can always override the way a website behaves. This is typically configurable by file type.

I do not use Toodledo attachments, so I cannot help you more.
Purveyor

Take a look at this:
https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/19401/0/attachments.html
You cannot view attachments on Toodledo. Toodledo only stores them. To view an attachment you need to download it to your computer and then view it there.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Toodledo only stores the files for you. When you want to view the file you need to download it to your computer and open the file in an appropriate viewing app for that file.
robfuzz

Ok. Got it. I understand Toodledo has no viewer but why, when every other task app opens its attachments rather than downloading. Can Toodledo get a viewer? Is there a benefit to continually having to download an attachment to view it,and then having to go find the download and delete it every time?

The other thing I'll add a +1 to is the ability to view attachments on mobile, specifically Android. I read a post from 2010 requesting this and the person was told it was on Toodledo's todo list. Five years later any headway?
One would think with Toodledo's built-in Notes and Lists that if you attach one of those that at least those would show up. Confused about that in particular.

Anyway, I'll also take this space to congratulate Toodledo on its improved UI. You guys have come a LONG way. The web app is gorgeous, and thanks for Lists on Android. Keep up the good work!

Robert
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The vast majority of task apps dont even have attachments, so we're already a leg up :) Making an in-browser viewer for every type of file (image, video, spreadsheet, mp3, etc) is a lot of work and it would be inferior to the dedicated applications on your computer that are designed to view those files. We do see the benefit to having a basic viewer for images and text files, so we may do this in the future.
Adrien Beau

Posted: Nov 24, 2015
It seems there are two things being discussed here.

One is the ability to display a file (image, video, spreadsheet, mp3, etc) inside the browser, that is, inside the Toodledo web application. This is indeed hard work for the Toodledo team.

The other is what happens after the user clicks on an attachment, and the file is sent to the browser. There is traditionally a choice here. The browser can open the file in a pre-configured external application (video in VLC, spreadsheet in Excel, MP3 in Media Player, for example), or the browser can save it to the hard drive. Web sites can typically "force" the browser (or at least suggest) which of the two behaviors to perform, and this is not hard work (one more HTTP header to send).

I understand that robfuzz is talking about the latter, while Jake is talking about the former.
robfuzz

Posted by Jake:
The vast majority of task apps dont even have attachments, so we're already a leg up :)

Wunderlist, Todoist, Any.do and Nozbe just to name a few allow for attachments from photos,audio,Google Drive,Dropbox,Evernote. An Google Drive document attached to a task in Todoist opens the file in Drive with no downloading. Wunderlist and Any.do too.
Many other apps allow for simple attachments usually photos,audio and Dropbox. Believe I’ve probably tried a hundred of them over the years.
Mentioning this no to be argumentative, just for clarity sake.
I’ll find a workaround with Toodledo cause there’s so much else to love and in truth I’m really not attachment-crazy.
Maybe I’ll try forcing my browser to not download like Adrien said, if I can.
Cheers,
Robert
Purveyor

n.m.

This message was edited Nov 24, 2015.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.