ForumsQuestionsHow can I sequence tasks?

How can I sequence tasks?
DSM

Posted: Jan 20, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
How can I set it up so that a set of tasks are sequenced? If I put a task on (say) HOLD to say don't do this task until the other task is done, does it still affect the Importance calculation? How do other people handle task lists that should be sequenced?
Salgud

Posted: Jan 20, 2017
We usually refer to this as dependencies, and TD really doesn't have this feature, though it has been long requested. The closest one can come right now is if you have a paid version, and therefore subtasks, you can turn on manual ordering in the Subtasks menu in Settings, and then you can manually drag and drop subtasks to order as you will.
DSM

Posted: Jan 21, 2017
So you have to create a (fake?) parent task to hold your sequence and then order your sequence under the parent. Does this work with the Apps (iOS & Android) as well? Yes, it would be nice to have independent dependencies rather than require the parent. *sigh*
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 23, 2017
You can also use the "Status" field to mark a task as being on hold. And if you need to manually sort tasks and don't want to use subtask, some people put a number in front of the tasks title and then sort alphabetically.
Salgud

Posted: Jan 24, 2017
Posted by DSM:
So you have to create a (fake?) parent task to hold your sequence and then order your sequence under the parent. Does this work with the Apps (iOS & Android) as well? Yes, it would be nice to have independent dependencies rather than require the parent. *sigh*

I haven't ever had to create a fake parent task using this method. Whenever I want tasks to be done in a given order, they're always been part of a set that had a logical and needed parent. Yours may be different.
DSM

Posted: Jan 26, 2017
You've never had a SINGLE task that was dependent on several other tasks from several other projects before it could be done? You always found a way to rearrange your tasks such that they were all only dependent on one parent project? When doing rigorous project management, I can see how this top-down approach happens. However, I would think that, in the real world, top-down doesn't always work.
Purveyor

Posted: Jan 27, 2017
DSM,

Perhaps it would be helpful if you provide an example of a single task that is dependent on several other tasks from several other project before it can be done.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2017.
Salgud

Posted: Jan 27, 2017
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by DSM:
You've never had a SINGLE task that was dependent on several other tasks from several other projects before it could be done? You always found a way to rearrange your tasks such that they were all only dependent on one parent project? When doing rigorous project management, I can see how this top-down approach happens. However, I would think that, in the real world, top-down doesn't always work.

"When doing rigorous project management", I never would use TD. That's what MS Project is for. If you search these forums for "dependencies", you'll find many threads going back for years on this topic. I can't recall a single contributor suggest that TD should handle these kinds of complex dependencies as it is a task manager, not a project scheduling tool. As a former trainer (over 3,000 students) and consultant in Project Management and MS Project, I would suggest that using TD for this is akin to using a spoon to excavate an open pit mine.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.