ForumsQuestionsTAG disappears if not on active task...

TAG disappears if not on active task...
fiona.c

Posted: Jan 05, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I've just noticed today that if a TAG isnt attached to an active task, it disappears from my task list. Completed tasks retain the old tag, but when I want to click to add it to a new task.... ITS GONE!

Yes, I can add it back in, but that requires typing versus quick click. AND is prone to spelling errors (so then fails to be found in my saved searches).

I'm guessing its some sort of 'active tag' feature but its NOT helpful. Please 'fix'.

regards
Fiona
pawelkaleta

Posted: Jan 06, 2018
Score: 1 Reference
That's exactly the reason why I'm not using Tags, there must be always at least one task assigned to given tag or else it's gone.

Should be optional for the user if to keep unused tags or not but unfortunatelly there is no such setting available.
Purveyor

Posted: Jan 06, 2018
Yeah, it's a bit silly.

For now, a quasi-solution is to create a dummy task and assign all the tags to it, and then hide the task from all your lists.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 08, 2018
Thats are meant to be more fluid. You dont explicitly create and delete them like you do with folders. They are just automatically created as you need them and then disappear as you dont need them anymore.
coolexplorer

Posted: Jan 12, 2018
Apps like Evernote and Todoist realized long ago that Tags can be the most powerful way of organizing and searching notes and tasks.
This is because they are the only element in the whole structure which allows simultaneous, non-exclusive, multi-categorization of a note/task. They allow you to build up a battery of tags to help organize your tasks (particularly useful when sub-sub-folders are not allowed). Search by tags is most flexible.

I use Purveyors dummy tasks and negative priorities to retain my tags, but it is clumsy workaround.

Tags is one area that needs to be worked on by Toodledo to add power and fluency to Toodledo Tasks. This should be taken up on priority.
fiona.c

Posted: Jan 19, 2018
BUT I DO NEED THEM!!!!!

And I really really want to ensure they are all spelled the same way. For example, I thought I had a #garden or was that #gardening tag. But when I went to select it, ALL GONE. So I went with the short one and then had to do a search on both and change it so they were all the same!!!

TOTAL WASTE OF TIME.
As a powerful sorting tool, it is ESSENTIAL they are spelt the same. To 'lose' them from the list just because no ACTIVE tag has it, (even if completed tasks have it) is WRONG.

Please, fix this.
(meanwhile, thank you Purveyor, I'll do just that! But as you say, CLUMSY as you ahve to go add new tags periodically or they too disappear... sigh.)
fiona.c

Posted: Jan 19, 2018
Score: 2 Reference
AGGHHHH, I cant even add all my tags to ONE post... it tops out after about six tags.

Seriously, Jake, this needs to be fixed or you are throwing away one of the most power parts of computers - its ability to sort quickly and efficiently if tagged properly. Have the universe is running on #tags today...

Please, prioritise this.
pawelkaleta

Posted: Jan 21, 2018
Toodledo Team, instead of defending the current idea, how about temporarly REMing the part of code which removes tags not being assinged to any task, let's say in Beta page only for start - just to see if it has any negative effect for TD?
CJD

Posted: Jan 22, 2018
No, I need tags to disappear if there are no tasks applied to it. I wear too many hats in my jobs, I want current tags to appear and click, when I am done with that project, Shazam, gone.I don’t mind it disappearing tags is an option. But as a 8 year Toodledo Gold member I need tags to disappear.
pawelkaleta

Posted: Jan 22, 2018
Score: 2 Reference
Thanks, that only proves there are two different points of view / ways of using tags among users so making that feature optional would be the best option.
fiona.c

Posted: Jan 24, 2018
OR at least allow a bigger field in the tag field so we CAN put all tags there as a 'place holder'.

Maybe another alternative is to have a "on/off" box in the tag listing. Users can choose to 'keep' a tag showing, or not.
Then I'd be happy as i'd tick ON for all tags; and CJD would be happy as he could select "OFF" for tags he's finished with.
Extra step for both of us (me for new tags, CJD for old tags) but I dont imagine they need to be changed too often, not a big deal.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.