ForumsQuestionsRedundant and dangerous check box: AppointmentReminderDesignFlaw

Redundant and dangerous check box: AppointmentReminderDesignFlaw
Brian Matlock_1343862228

Posted: Mar 05, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
I just got stung by a design flaw in Toodledo that I think you've addressed in the new web version, but remains in place in the old interface. I have a part-time assistant to whom I give a handful of tasks each week. One of those was for him to make a very critical call first thing this morning. Last week I stressed to him how important it was that that call be made at the immediate beginning of business today. So he thoughtfully opened up Toodledo, created a task, checked the box to activate a reminder, but failed to select a "time before" from the dropdown box. Consequently, no alarm was set and he forgot to make the call. I won't got into the details of the serious problems that has caused me.

Experimenting with that (older) interface I see that if someone checks that box but doesn't select a time, Toodledo will "unselect" the box when you close it and no alarm will be set. On the other hand, if someone selects a "remind me before" time from the dropbox, **even if they don't check the box for an alarm**(!), Toodledo will automatically select the checkbox for you. Consequently, the checkbox is unnecessary for setting an alarm, but, dangerously, can cause someone to *think* they've set an alarm when they haven't (as it did with my assistant).

It looks like your designers agree, as you've eliminated it in the new version (thank you for continuing to improve this productivity tool). But I wanted you to know that the old version is still being used by some, and at least in this instance that particular design flaw cost one of your users.

But, I'm a fan of the product and use it regularly.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 05, 2018
Thanks for the feedback. I am sorry that this happened. Please ask your assistant to switch to the new version so that this doesnt happen again.
Brian Matlock_1343862228

Posted: Mar 11, 2018
He says he hadn’t switched to the new version because its still marked as “Beta”. For less “techy” users, the “Beta” label can scare them away from switching. Is the new version still in Beta?
Purveyor

Posted: Mar 11, 2018
Do you see anything that is still marked as "Beta" on the Toodledo website?

The beta version was launched on October 10, 2016: Toodledo Tasks redesign ready for public beta testing.
The new version was launched on March 7, 2017: The New Tasks Section.
It became available as the default version on May 19, 2017: New Tasks section can be the default now.
Brian Matlock_1343862228

Posted: Mar 16, 2018
He's not in the office this week, but I just looked at his computer. There's an icon bottom right that he can click that brings up a message, "Tasks is getting an update. Want a preview? [Switch to the New Layout>]".

I suspect he interpreted that as indicating its still being developed, but I don't know that for sure.

Here's a screen shot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3viqz4wxzbup1n/2018-03-16%2009_41_09-Tasks%20by%20main%20%E2%9C%93%20Tood ledo.png?dl=0

This message was edited Mar 16, 2018.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.