ForumsQuestionsAdroid app due date problems

Adroid app due date problems
enigment

Posted: Jul 28, 2019
Score: 0 Reference
I'm new to the Android Tooddledo app, trying it after DGT DTG (which I loved) failed to save several weeks worth of changes in Toodledo, so I lost them when my phone died.

When I edit a task in the Android app, I'm seeing the following problems with the due date:
- The date change shows when I edit the tasks, but it doesn't change in the list, in the same app, on the same device
- The date change isn't visible on the web site either, after syncing Android and refreshing the page

This is such basic and important functionality, I can't believe it's actually broken, I must be doing something wrong.

Is there actually no Save button in the task edit screen? Just click back?

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Duo

Hi, Are you a paid subscriber at the moment? I don't see anything in your profile to indicate that you are currently are and this may be the cause of the problem rather than there being an issue with DGT GTD. It's hard to tell though because I didn't see much activity from the owner of DGT GTD in the group for the replacement product for some time before Google started shutting it down.

The new owners of Toodledo removed syncing for everything except for their own apps on the free tier a little while after they took over

https://www.toodledo.com/subscribe/index.php

and their apps are pretty poor, especially the Android app. I used to only really use it for accessing Lists and use Ultimate To-Do List or DGT GTD for everything else.

From memory, I believe that going back was the only way to save. Also the behaviour when going back was inconsistent depending on where I was in the app.

I don't remember getting an email warning about these changes (although I may have forgotten) so you are probably not the only one who was caught out.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2019.
enigment

No Duo, not a paid subscriber. Hasn't been a problem in the past, but you may well be right, based on the "Basic app integrations" that are available in the free tier, vs "All app integrations" in Standard and above, Thanks for the heads-up. It is a shame I wasn't aware of this.

It seems I've been out of some loop or other on the DTG side. I'd never heard of SODA (successor to DGT as I understand it) until today, it's still not shown on his site, and I didn't hear that DTG was winding down or whatever it's doing. Even today there's no indication of anything like that on its Google Play page.

So I'm confused. DGT should tell you if the integration isn't working. I never used Toodledo itself, so I never knew my data wasn't updating. Looks like it might not have updated Toodledo at least since late June, maybe as early as some time in March. It's hard to know, since you can't see modification date in the TD web app. And it doesn't matter much, not working now.

DGT was in permanent beta, but it had the features, and worked. Much of SODA isn't there yet, including synchronization. It also looks way more complex at first glance, not ideal, for me, but I haven't looked into it in depth.

So, I don't know what to do going forward. I haven't found any apps that are as simple and easy to use as DGT, with the features I need. I'm not a serious formal GTD-er, really just *need* a well-behaved calendar and reminders that actually work and can be snoozed. One option I guess is to upgrade TD, pay the $35/yr, but I'm not clear on the likely future of GTD/SODA, or its timing.
enigment

I'd almost consider going with Google Calendar, except for a few things I've found so far:
- Reminder notifications disappear immediately, no choice to snooze or edit
- Editing a reminder whose time is in the past shows it as All Day, and unsetting that doesn't get the original time back, so moving it to the same time tomorrow takes extra steps
- No notes for reminders
Duo

Posted: Jul 29, 2019
Posted by enigment:

[...]
So I'm confused. DGT should tell you if the integration isn't working. I never used Toodledo itself, so I never knew my data wasn't updating. Looks like it might not have updated Toodledo at least since late June, maybe as early as some time in March. It's hard to know, since you can't see modification date in the TD web app. And it doesn't matter much, not working now.

I don't know how Toodledo blocked integration. Perhaps the app now waits forever instead of getting rejected with an error code.

On Toodledo Web there is a little down arrow to the left of each task. On the old layout you can see the date added. On the new layout you can see the date added and the date modified.

Also if you sort first by date added or the date modified it should show up on the right on both layouts.

Posted by enigment:

[...]
So, I don't know what to do going forward. I haven't found any apps that are as simple and easy to use as DGT, with the features I need. I'm not a serious formal GTD-er, really just *need* a well-behaved calendar and reminders that actually work and can be snoozed. One option I guess is to upgrade TD, pay the $35/yr, but I'm not clear on the likely future of GTD/SODA, or its timing.

I just had a quick check and it looks like DGT GTD was last updated in April 14, 2019 and the DGT GTD Value Pack in March 18, 2019 so it looks like that's still being maintained.

As for SODA I think that is now very much on the back burner since development slowed to pretty much nothing a while ago.

My worry would be whether Toodledo will be around in 12 months.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2019.
enigment

Posted: Jul 29, 2019
Interesting question about Toodledo's longevity. At one point it was a big player, but it seems to have been overtaken over time. Do you have any specific reason for concern?

I really liked DGT itself, the TD connection didn't matter, except as a way to back up my tasks off the phone. Another service could do just as well, but it'd be a lot of work on the DGT end.

So far I'm looking at Remember The Milk and Todoist as alternatives, and using Google Calendar as a stop-gap in the mean time so I don't break my life. GCal is actually closer to what I need than I expected, but definitely not there enough to stay there.

Thanks for your thoughts on all of this btw, much appreciated :)
enigment

Posted: Jul 30, 2019
Hmmm, I see that the DGT GTD Value Pack has Dropbox backup and restore, as well as FTP sync, either of which might have gotten me out of the Toodledo nonsense.

Is there more info about these features somewhere? It's not listed on the DGT web page.

FWIW, I'd never heard of that pack before you posted about it. Were DGT users supposed to have been notified? Why is it a separate install if it's still free?
Duo

Posted: Aug 04, 2019
Posted by enigment:
Interesting question about Toodledo's longevity. At one point it was a big player, but it seems to have been overtaken over time. Do you have any specific reason for concern?
[...]

I, and others have a lot of reasons for concern - read around the forums a bit and I think you'll understand.

This post from a few days ago by rubenB seems to cover a few of the issues:
https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/27089/-122007/read.html#jump
Duo

Posted: Aug 04, 2019
Posted by enigment:
Hmmm, I see that the DGT GTD Value Pack has Dropbox backup and restore, as well as FTP sync, either of which might have gotten me out of the Toodledo nonsense.

Is there more info about these features somewhere? It's not listed on the DGT web page.

FWIW, I'd never heard of that pack before you posted about it. Were DGT users supposed to have been notified? Why is it a separate install if it's still free?

I seem to remember that there was also forum.

I don't know why they were implemented as separate packages. Possibly to allow for modifications without affecting the main code or maybe to allow separate charging should the developer wish? I also see that SODA has similar packages so it may be the developer's preferred way to package them.

I'm not clear as to your question here, "Were DGT users supposed to have been notified?" Notified about what?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.