ForumsQuestionsTickTick? Sorting? Other Solutions?

TickTick? Sorting? Other Solutions?
mlb32704

Posted: Dec 23, 2020
Score: 0 Reference
While I am still actively using Toodledo on a daily basis as my go to iOS and Windows app for to do lists and notes, the lack of any response from anyone at Toodledo in months to any requests, discussions, etc. has me more than worried that Toodledo will be shut down. So while I am still a HUGE Toodledo fan, and will not stop using it until I am forced to, I also recognize the importance of having a solid Plan B. Based on my analysis of every alternative that has been suggested, as well as those that I’ve discovered on my own, my front runner continues to be TickTick. It offers the most similar functionality to what I currently use in Toodledo, and I’ve got it up and running in a test environment, looking and behaving a lot like Toodledo.

With one major exception...sorting :(

I never really appreciated the stock sorting capabilities of Toodledo until I didn’t have it. With Toodledo I get three criteria for free, and I only need and use two - date then tag. Most people use date then priority, I understand but date then tag works better for me. I can get my daily task list into the exact order that I want.

Unfortunately, while TickTick offers everything else that I currently have with Toodledo, it only offers one sort criteria. One. And I see years of TickTick forum requests saying “thanks, that’s a great idea, we’ll keep you posted” and you know what that means :) So I’m at an impasse now. I either learn to live with one sort criteria, or start to re-examine some of the other solutions out there. I am up for suggestions.

My wish list is simple...a free to do list that runs on iOS, Windows, and the Apple Watch if possible (TickTick supports all three); basic task functions like repeating tasks, folders, due dates, tags, a notes field for free form text, status and priority; and at least TWO sorting capabilities lol. A separate notes section and functionality like Toodledo would be nice too but not a showstopper.

Task Angel is a very close 2nd but currently does not offer a free Windows solution to compliment their free iOS solution.

Any other ideas?

This message was edited Dec 24, 2020.
mlb32704

Posted: Dec 24, 2020
Update - I have confirmed with TickTick that they do not have sorting on multiple criteria, and they have no plans to do so anytime soon but they will "let their development team know about it". Yeah. So unless you can survive on sorting your to do list on one criteria, you probably need a different solution than TickTick.

I am back on the Task Angel train. A very solid solution with as much or more functionality than Toodledo, although the look and feel is nowhere near the current iOS and Windows versions of Toodledo. But you get so much with the free iOS version of Task Angel including but certainly not limited to the ability to sort on three criteria as well as group tasks, and much more. I actually really like their Windows based solution too, I've been hesitant about spending $15 per PC for it, especially since I haven't confirmed whether that's $15 one time or per year. But as I've spent more and more time playing with it, I'm willing to spend the money if it's a one time license. Maybe if enough Toodledo clients migrate to Task Angel and do the same, some of those funds might go back into further improving their already decent apps, who knows.

So now I'm ready in case Toodledo pulls the plug :)

This message was edited Dec 24, 2020.
jogo

Regarding the TaskAngel price, the FAQ says "On Windows, there is a one-time free [sic] after a free trial." I assume they mean "fee" :)

But more importantly, if you want to sync iOS<>Windows or Windows<>Windows, don't they pass the data through ToodleDo for that? As explained in their Oct 2019 blog post. Is that no longer the case? My apologies if that was already covered somewhere.
Larry3

Right now Task Angel syncs via Toodledo servers which is fine for as long as their servers function. It can also sync via iCloud.

As far as Windows, I may be wrong but the license if for single user on multiple computers. I've installed on 2 Windows computer in the past without any problems. One was my main computer and one was for a backup computer. I also have on my iPhone and iPad. Unfortunately I've had leave my Windows behind and switched to Macbook.
mlb32704

Posted by Larry3:
Right now Task Angel syncs via Toodledo servers which is fine for as long as their servers function. It can also sync via iCloud..

Holy cow. Great. Well, I hope that Task Angel is paying attention to what’s going on at Toodledo and has a plan beyond relying upon Toodledo servers to feed data to populate its applications long term. I’m at a loss, I should have realized that that was the case: I guess we’ll see.

I’ve spoken directly with Task Angel and their Windows application is a one time fee of $14.95 for two devices. I think that they offer some volume discounts beyond that but I’m not sure. I would need a total of three licenses.

Again, if they continue to be tied to Toodledo and its servers to work, then I need to look elsewhere for yet another alternative. Plan C lol!
jogo

The original poster is "more than worried that ToodleDo will be shut down" and looking for a solid plan B that includes sync on a Windows system.

It wouldn't make sense to consider TaskAngel for this unless they are no longer dependent on ToodleDo for Windows sync. I figured either the dependency is going/gone or the OP might not know about it.
mlb32704

Posted: Dec 25, 2020
Posted by jogo:
The original poster is "more than worried that ToodleDo will be shut down" and looking for a solid plan B that includes sync on a Windows system.

It wouldn't make sense to consider TaskAngel for this unless they are no longer dependent on ToodleDo for Windows sync. I figured either the dependency is going/gone or the OP might not know about it.

You are correct, I did not realize until now that Task Angel is dependent upon Toodledo data and servers for all of its solutions.

But I have an idea, at least for iOS...

Right now, once per week, I download all tasks and notebooks in CSV from Toodledo. As part of that weekly backup/prep process to cover my bases in case Toodledo shuts down, I will now change the sync option in Task Angel on all of my iOS devices from Toodledo to iCloud Drive then back to Toodledo again. If and whenever Toodledo pulls the plug, I would have only slightly stale data that I could then use the latest view of Toodledo on my devices to update. Not perfect but close to it.

Ok so now I’m sticking with Task Angel again. My outstanding question would be how to get the most current data into a Windows version of Task Angel if they pull the plug, that I don’t know. I don’t think Task Angel’s Window version currently supports CSV import so I’m asking them how they would do it and I’ll post back.
Larry3

Posted: Dec 25, 2020
I mentioned TA syncing with Toodledo because of all our concerns that they won't be around for long. The developer of TA believes that too and is working on another syncing option. I don't know the details but I assume the new cross platform apps would have at least TA's features as he's been doing this for awhile.

My last conversation with him was he's actively working on the new app/system but didn't have a timeline for any release.

I for one am using both Task Angel and trialing other apps in parallel just to be prepared for the worst. It's more work but thankfully I don't have a tremendous number of tasks to manage.
mlb32704

Posted: Dec 27, 2020
I did hear back from Task Angel on this. It sounds like they will have a CSV import function or the like from Toodledodo to whatever solutions they are offering at the time, if and when ToodleDo shuts down. So that’s good news. All in all, a week or so into testing Task Angel side by side with Toodledo, I am very impressed with both their solutions and their responsiveness.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.