ForumsQuestionsDISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO

DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO
Allan

Posted: Feb 18, 2021
Score: 1 Reference
I've been with tick-tick for two months now and very very happy with it. 4000 tasks were transferred and work very well, much richer than tooledo
LSF_2

Posted: Feb 21, 2021
Score: 0 Reference
Does Tick Tick import IOS reminders or does it just sync them?
Sean Curley

Posted: Feb 22, 2021
Transferred my takss, and those of my staff, to RTM two weeks ago and did not re-up my ToodleDo subscription this month. Had been using it for probably 15 years, and sorry to see it dying. However, its use was too critical in my office for there to be questions about coming into work one day and the site being down.
The Guarnieri's

Posted: Feb 22, 2021
TickTick imports iOS Reminders added via Siri and then deletes them from the Reminders app. Very similar functionality to Toodledo.

Does not appear to be anyway to natively sync or import a task added manually to the Reminders app.
strativourakis

Posted: Feb 24, 2021
I have also been looking for a replacement.

I see that ToodleDo's demise is imminent, so I've been taking notes on a replacement.

I need to now make time to pull the trigger & really do it.

I believe TickTick is one of the only ones I've found / heard of that offers a direct, specific "Migrate from ToodleDo" function - that was reassuring.

In some very, very limited time spent playing with it, it seems pretty cool, like it will have most of what I need.

It's just that fear & reticence to change.

I have also been using an app called "Alarmed" for iOS.

It is very basic, but has a feature i've not seen anywhere else;

You can program pop-up alerts / reminders & noises to nag you just about as often as you want.

It's helpful for someone like myself, though it is easy to overdo it & populate so many reminders that my phone constantly pings, dings & vibrates with reminders, so I temporarily pause them......LOL.....

But that's a great one.

The same app deveoper (Yoctoville, I think?) created a new app called "Errands"

I've no idea what's the specific diff btwn the two but I like alarmed so much, I def downloaded & will look at Errands also.

I'll try to post more later.
Jonesadams

I'm a very long time user and GREAT fan of toodledo, I fear I am truly addicted. Reading these "ALTERNATIVES TO TOODLEDO" entries is scaring me with the thought of losing it, I wasn't totally aware of it's impending or probable demise. One writer saying s/he could not risk coming to work one day and having toodledo crashed forever. I would have to gnash my teeth on the side of my desk if I lost all of my toodledo data. Is there a good way to transfer it all NOW into another program for safe keeping and continue on Toodledo as long as possible?

RTM has info to export from Toodledo and then import to RTM - does that work, or is anything lost?
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answer/basics-tasks-importexport-import

Tick Tick has info, but I wonder again what is lost?
https://support.ticktick.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012848611-How-do-I-import-data-into-TickTick-from- other-apps-
signup1917

Does TaskAngel have a user forum? TA is my backup and goto if/when Toodledo goes away. I am having a few issues with getting saved searches to work properly.

Thanks
signup1917

Is anyone using a Relational Datebase for their ToDo list? A DB provides great flexibility. One drawback is the ability to easily setup reoccurring tasks which is a big part of my workflow. Also the time required to set the system up properly. I do like the ability to add additional fields, such as contacts which Toodledo doesn't allow and location which Task Angel seems to be lacking.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2021.
CharleneTX

Posted by Jonesadams:
Is there a good way to transfer it all NOW into another program for safe keeping and continue on Toodledo as long as possible?

Upper right hand corner, next to your Avatar. Click the down arrow. Under Tools, select "Import / Export / Backup".
bandit

Posted by strativourakis:

I just looked at “Errands” and read the description. It seems very basic, but appears to have some good features and looks easy to use. Because it’s free I’ll probably download it just to try it out and so I can do a thorough comparison of functionality to Toodledo. As with all other users in this discussion, functionality in Toodledo that I really want in other apps is where it all falls apart because nothing seems to exist that meets my needs, and I’m finding it difficult to decide what I’m willing to give up.

Import capabilities is also a huge issue for me due to the volume of tasks I have in Toodledo. I don’t want something that is going to take a long time for me to set up with enough data so I can really test it, especially since I know I’m going to want to work in parallel with Toodledo until I’m sure I’ve made a decision as to which app I want to move to.

(Maybe subconsciously I’m hoping that if I hold out long enough someone will come along and save Toodledo, which is not at all a wise thing for any of us to do!)
Ummagumma

Posted: Feb 25, 2021
As is true with any service that uses a specific, unique set of features, you will never find a direct replacement. The direct replacement would have to implement the same features, the same philosophy, and will essentially be the same service. Not going to happen.

The key is not to find a substitute, the key is to adjust your workflow to where it is less dependent on a set of unique features that may be hard to find.

Even a fairly basic feature like task Start date is fairly rarely implemented in task managers, and relying on it severely limits the choice of available apps and services. Yet, replace Start date with Due date, and use the actual Due date as a text appended in front of task subject, and you regain most of the same functionality but now can use it with pretty much anything.

Don't get locked down into features. Adjust the workflow. Worked for me just great.
bandit

Posted: Feb 25, 2021
Posted by Ummagumma:
Don't get locked down into features. Adjust the workflow. Worked for me just great.

Thanks Ummagumma. This is good advice and I will try to adjust my perspective on some things. That being said, there are some features that I really don’t want to give up (e.g.: ability to set uncompleted tasks so they automatically carry forward, ability to send/forward emails to the app so they can be added as tasks, ability to customize sort options). You may have mentioned this in a previous post (if so, I apologize for asking), but what alternative app is at the top of your list?

I was very intrigued by “Errands” that #stratavourakus had mentioned in an earlier post. The app gets really good ratings (some quite recent), but major, major, major concerns are that it hasn’t been updated in 3 years (!!!!!) and there’s no way to contact the developer at all - not even to submit a support ticket. Huge red flag and perhaps worse than, or just as bad as, the situation with Toodledo.
mlb32704

Posted: Feb 26, 2021
Posted by Ummagumma:

Solid advice. The irony for me here is that I am looking for such a basic replacement solution, and I'm just shocked that I can't find it. I've reviewed just about every option posted on this forum and others. Specific to my basic needs, Task Angel is the closest that I've come across. I've been testing their current Windows and iOS versions for months with imported and continuously updated data, and I am yet to see an issue of any kind. My big concern is their ability to carry over their current look, feel and functionality that mirrors Toodledo's into a new Web based solution, and that their solution will be 100% independent of Toodledo and its data.

When I say that I am a basic user, I mean basic. I literally have a running to do list with due dates, with or without notes attached, some single events, some repeaters. I don't use priorities, I tag tasks with numbers to put them into numerical order for any given day. I'll change the status to "active" if I'm working on it, usually forgetting to turn it back to "none" if it's a repeater :) Periodically I'll use categories but that is certainly not the rule and something that I can live without. The showstopper for me is sorting, I need at least two criteria as I sort by date, then tag. I use the Notebook section big time, but I could easily use a standalone product like Evergreen or OneNote or something else instead. And I backup everything each week. That's IT.

Name one of the solutions that everyone is talking about, and if I've checked it out, I'll tell you why it's not a good fit for the criteria that I just laid out.

I'm with bandit or whoever said it last - we need someone with good intentions and deep pockets to come in, purchase Toodledo from Pink Java Media, and turn this big great ship around before it sinks. There is nothing better than Toodledo, and its user base is positive, productive, intelligent and loyal to the product. It would be a damn shame to sunset Toodledo.
mlb32704

Posted by signup1917:
Does TaskAngel have a user forum? TA is my backup and goto if/when Toodledo goes away. I am having a few issues with getting saved searches to work properly.

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge, Task Angel does not have a user forum. However, the developer is quite active and responsive, if you have any specific questions or issues, I would suggest reaching out to him directly. His email address can be found at the bottom of all pages on the Task Angel Web site.
mlb32704

Posted by creinhard:
There is an outside discussion forum, you'd need to create a Slack account to access

https://td-user-coop.slack.com/?redir=%2Fmessages

It's not an overly active forum.. yet :D

I had a very difficult time setting up and accessing this forum on Slack, and I've since deleted my account entirely. Slack is geared towards workplace team forums, not a discussion like this. I would not recommend continuing to use Slack as the solution to support a discussion forum on Toodledo. It sounds like there are several discussion forums out there already, so we just need to condense to just one and pick a hosting solution that is intuitive, easy enough for everyone to access and participate in, and free. I don't care if it's Quora, Reddit, Google or some other common, easy to use solution, but Slack is not the right solution for this.

Look for another post from me shortly, asking everyone to weigh in on the best hosting solution for one Toodledo discussion forum outside of Toodledo.
bandit

Posted by mlb32704:
[quote]Posted by Ummagumma:
[quote]

I'm with bandit or whoever said it last - we need someone with good intentions and deep pockets to come in, purchase Toodledo from Pink Java Media, and turn this big great ship around before it sinks. There is nothing better than Toodledo, and its user base is positive, productive, intelligent and loyal to the product. It would be a damn shame to sunset Toodledo.[/quote]

Yes, I put this out there in as a separate Fotum discussion. Maybe we need to brainstorm how we get our suggestion/wish out to the appropriate groups/individuals in the hopes someone would be interested in pursuing saving Toodledo. I’m thinking posting this in Quora and targeting appropriate people/interest groups could be a start, and I don’t think doing this would be illegal or against any rules. Does anyone have thoughts on this?
oletros

Posted: Feb 27, 2021
Posted by mlb32704:
I'm with bandit or whoever said it last - we need someone with good intentions and deep pockets to come in, purchase Toodledo from Pink Java Media, and turn this big great ship around before it sinks. There is nothing better than Toodledo, and its user base is positive, productive, intelligent and loyal to the product. It would be a damn shame to sunset Toodledo.

Toodledo is dead, accept it

Nobody with a functional brain would put money in a tool like this with a code base from years, with no modern moible apps.
M

Posted: Feb 27, 2021
Posted by bandit:
Posted by strativourakis:

I just looked at “Errands” and read the description. It seems very basic, but appears to have some good features and looks easy to use.

Just chiming in to say I've been a LONG time user of both Alarmed and Errands and LOVE them both. They do *not* replace Toodledo, in my opinion, and neither has been updated in many years. It's been a long time since I've communicated with him so I forget his name, but the developer is very nice and quite skilled, but seems to have fallen off the map as relates to future development.

So go ahead and try them both as supplements to a task manager, but don't expect much in the way of updates or feature additions.
SimonSmailus

Posted: Mar 03, 2021
Posted by mlb32704:
Posted by creinhard:
There is an outside discussion forum, you'd need to create a Slack account to access

https://td-user-coop.slack.com/?redir=%2Fmessages

It's not an overly active forum.. yet :D

I had a very difficult time setting up and accessing this forum on Slack, and I've since deleted my account entirely. Slack is geared towards workplace team forums, not a discussion like this. I would not recommend continuing to use Slack as the solution to support a discussion forum on Toodledo. It sounds like there are several discussion forums out there already, so we just need to condense to just one and pick a hosting solution that is intuitive, easy enough for everyone to access and participate in, and free. I don't care if it's Quora, Reddit, Google or some other common, easy to use solution, but Slack is not the right solution for this.

Look for another post from me shortly, asking everyone to weigh in on the best hosting solution for one Toodledo discussion forum outside of Toodledo.

Agreed, couldn't sign to this slack account. Slack is a poor choice for a forum, it's focus is team projects.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.