ForumsQuestionsPlease vote on this feature (Saved Views Update)

Please vote on this feature (Saved Views Update)
bigbytetech

Posted: Nov 24, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I'm IN, ya baby!
urijah

Posted: Nov 27, 2011
+1

Any news on this feature? I'm a new "Pro Subscription" user, and this would be an excellent feature.

The default Context, Priority, Status, Sharing, etc, aren't enough.
Todo-USER

Posted: Nov 30, 2011
This feature is a must have, and it must be on iPhone and iPad! Please! Not sure why it even had to be a request.
JamesD_3

Posted: Dec 01, 2011
+1

Realizing the power of saved searches had helped use the full potential of Toodledo. The strength and power of the back-end of Toodledo is what makes it, in my opinion, the best todo app available.

This feature would help bring the presentation of the data, up to the level of the features for storing and manipulating the data.

My .02
JD
joe_1298434913

Posted: Jan 02, 2012
+1

I love Toodledo but could really use this feature.

Maybe a New Year's Resolution for Toodledo management?
AlexanderP

Posted: Jan 03, 2012
+1
TheOne

Posted: Jan 05, 2012
+1

I ♥ Filters :D

Quick edit

I have found the way to deal with sorting my custom searches
and others macro like activities:
It works as MS Excel macro:
Rhttp://www.iopus.com/imacros/firefox/?ref=fxhome

This message was edited Jan 05, 2012.
shun

Posted: Apr 13, 2012
+1
When I list my tasks, mostly I use saved search.
bumpdogg

Posted: Jul 18, 2012
Osaga, awesome suggestion and glad I am not the only one lobbying for exactly this. Seems this has been a running request for quite a while.

Any update since Toodledo apparently put it on their to-do list almost 2 years ago (Sep. 27. 2010)? Perhaps they forgot to set a Due Date ;)
Purveyor

Posted: Jul 18, 2012
There was a request in March 2009:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1558/-6951/sort-function-in-search.html

Here's what Jake said recently:
This is something that is on our to-do list, but the main purpose of this idea is to save 2-6 mouse clicks. While this is certainly important, it is not what we would call a critical feature, so we have been focusing more on things that cannot be done at all, like mobile access and sharing. We will get to it eventually.
From: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/14778/-71460/read.html

This message was edited Jul 18, 2012.
RebDebGordon

Posted: Oct 27, 2012
I've been using Toodledo for about a week. I know from working with other organizers (e.g. Omnifocus) that after a while one get it mostly set as needed; but the ability to be able to RENAME SAVED SEARCHES would simplify use at the very moment the program is most confusing and time-intensive, namely when one is a new user. Therefore, O Developers, it would entice new users to stay/not frustrate them and send them away -- a key concern for you. In other words, the payoff from making the entry process smoother is probably higher than from tweaking things for advanced users (sorry, advanced users!)

So it's not just about saving a few mouse clicks. It's about saving subscribers.

Actually, it was never just about saving a few mouse clicks: It's about not having to keep name details in my head while I redo searches. *That's* not just inconvenience but potentially a real difficulty, particularly since one can't widen the sidebar to see the whole name.

Why? I have a number of searches with similar names, trying to indicate to myself the details of how I've sliced and diced. This is (I hope) a temporary necessity as I figure out how to use TD, but it's crucial right now. E.g. "Home Inside Active+Today" vs "Home Inside Active+Today Sedentary/Easy" vs "Home+Farm Active+Today" vs "Home+Farm+Crisis Inside Phone Calls" ... Trying to remember just what I've tweaked in my effort to get the right collection of tasks to show up (usually based on mood/energy/context and given that right now projects and contexts and locations and attempts to indicate how much focus or energy a project takes are muddled about among Goals, Tags, and Contexts -- again, a beginner's importing problem, as I learn to think like TD and not OmniFocus) ... anyway, keeping track of what I've just done requires that I write down the details. I don't want to have a separate piece of paper and a pencil, I want to encode it in the title of the search. Then as I refine my searches, I want change the name to either reflect what I've done or, when I'm ready, to make it fit in the sidebar. I've also changed my alphabetizing scheme a couple of times already.

So you see, the need to re-copy (most of) an intricate title AND THEN select and delete the one that's similar but now obsolete -- especially given I can't necessarily see the end of the titles -- introduces the possibility for accidentally deleting the search I've just spent all that time perfecting.

Again, it's not just about saving a few mouse clicks. It's about saving new user/subscribers -- and you can bet that someone trying to use it in ways this complicated will become a subscriber.

On the other subject, tho of slightly lesser importance:

I strongly second the request to be able to remember filter settings with ALL views, not just saved searches!! For searches, your documentation expressly states "When you've gotten it looking just as you want it..." or something like that -- and it's not true. Not quite. What if I quickly want to find all negative priority items of a certain type so I can review them? And more generally, what if I just entered a task that won't be due for 2 years and realize I need to add a tag, or I want to see if I've got all future tasks properly listed for some big goal? Since I keep those hidden, I have to change my universal filters. Again, becomes less confusing with use (even just a week's use), but annoying.

As to reordering saved searches, it would be nice but it's way down my priority list; numbering or prefixing a letter solves that one just fine.

The reasons I am using Toodledo rather than competitors are:

= Sorting by Importance (what I missed most when I switched from LifeBalance) -- I've read some of the suggestions about the algorithm, but it works well enough for me.

= Priority -- the main reason I stopped using OmniFocus. There are no satisfactory work-arounds in the absence of multiple sorts -- another thing I appreciate

= Tags -- the other reason I stopped using OmniFocus

= Mobile app (tho without the ability to access saved searches it's useful on a much simpler level)

= Location (haven't bought yet but expect to) -- one of the things I loved about OmniFocus was their map on the mobile app

= Ability to import/export; without that I wouldn't even have looked at it. Recreating thousands of entries was not an option.

= and last but not least, SAVED SEARCHES. Without the ability to customize the viewing of the data, slicing and dicing it to match my own squirrely brain, and save those views for future use, a to-do list is useless to me. And I want it to be as automatic as possible: If I have to think/remember how to set up a particular view, I'm likely to make a mistake. It does help that you announce how many tasks are hidden, and I'm beginning to trust that and rely on it. But I don't like having to reset the filters after changing them.

Hence, saving filters along with other parts of the search, and ideally remembering them for preset views, would be the biggest single improvement for me.

And is it really that hard to program?

Thanks for a fine product.
Deb
RebDebGordon

Another reason to allow renaming of searches: Because when I'm trying to find just the right name for the already-saved search, so it shows up in the order I want AND it's short enough to read, I leave old versions littered behind me and have to go back and delete them.

And then I accidentally delete the wrong one.

Deb
JPR

Posted by RebDebGordon:
...but the ability to be able to RENAME SAVED SEARCHES would simplify use....

It's clunky, but it can be done. Essentially you make a copy of the original, apply the new name, then delete the original.

Click on the Saved Search
Click on Modify Search
Click on Search
Click on Save Search
Enter your new name
Click on your original
Click on Forget Search
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 29, 2012
Thanks for the feedback on this. Renaming saved searches is on our to-do list for a future update.
RebDebGordon

Posted: Nov 20, 2012
@JPR - that was my point -- it's clunky AND it introduces the opportunity to accidentally delete a different search that you meant to keep.

And back to the first post: FAR more important than renaming saved searches is the ability to save ALL modifiers with a search. For me, that primarily means saving the sorting, but as Osaga posted originally, for others it means filters and collaborators as well.

Still love Toodledo, still find it quite intuitive: It thinks like I do. Thanks again for a great program.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.