ForumsTips & TricksJP's Task Management Process with Toodledo: Part 1 'Properties'

JP's Task Management Process with Toodledo: Part 1 'Properties'
johnprince2112

Posted: Oct 01, 2015
Score: 2 Reference
Hi all, I am certainly no expert but have worked wit task management process/systems for ~20 years now. I thought it would be diligent to provide how I am leveraging Toodldo. You'll see in my 'Golden Rules' (primer) section that one of them is to be open and non-fearful of tweaking the process. If I've learned one thing: try everything and do what works for you.

This is long, slapped together, and perhaps boring. But if one person can take one single nugget from it, then it's time well spent. I'm sure many of you purists can and will shoot holes in it, and that's fine. If it benefits me and allows me to be more productive, than I reap those rewards.

Enjoy!

Views. That is what its all about for me. Having the right view(s) at the right time(s).

It took me a while to really get my arms around all of this as a context could easily be a folder, which could be a tag, which could be a status, etc. So keeping in the spirit of all I want are views, I created a hierarchy.

Let me start with giving a typical task I would enter along with its properties:
Task: Post my process on Toodledo forum
Context: Free Time
Folder: GTD Process
Importance: Low
Starred: Yes (assuming I want to complete it today)
Length: 15 min
Tag: null
Due Date/Time: null

Due to my hectic work/family life, I would never remember to do this...until I run my daily report: 'Quick Hits', which consists of:
Tasks: unchecked
Length: <16 minutes
Context: Free time

Next, I'll walk through how I utilize each of the properties. Please keep in mind I've been using Toodledo going on a year now. I've only recently in the past few months adopted a hybrid GTD process.

**Context**
It took me a long time to really leverage these. I was forcing them. Finally it dawned on me. Why? Why would I ever use these? Hmm...well, it would be cool to just press a button and it tells me what I can be doing during that time. I tried time-based (early morning, before bed, etc.) but saw little value in that. So I categorized these as'periods' of my typical day.
Examples:
--I get in the car and I press the 'Phone' context
--I'm meeting with my boss and have items to discuss with him so I use the %BossName%.
--When I have a moment to conduct a review of tasks, I go to the 'Daily Review' context.

MY CONTEXTS:
Online Home (I work from my home office)
Office (For when I'm physically in the office)
Errands
Chores
Phone
Free Time
Meeting with Boss
Daily Review (this is also used for weekly...just whenever I feel like reviewing)

Status Types:
These are my bread and butter when it comes to prioritization. I'm not a GTD purist, so forgive me if I've basterdized these, again...it's what works for me:
1. Next Action: Anything I can do...now. This can be in or out of a project.
2. Active: These are tasks that are within a project. I am free to do them, but they are not the most important task at that moment within the project.
3. Planning: Any task that has a due date associated with it. It can be in or out of a project.
4. Waiting: I use this for anything I'm waiting on, regardless if I delegated it. Should I end up using the Collaboration feature, I would use 'Delegated', but for now skirt around it with tags (see later in the 'Tags' section.
5. Someday*: Something that needs to be done, but its not on my radar
6. Reference: If it doesn't go in any of the above, it winds up here.

Folders:
I would love nothing more than to leverage sub-folders but due to the lack of indentation on the iOS for subfolders, I've used this approach.
Folders are yet another 'bucket' of granularity. I use them in two ways, for a project (that has dependant steps, and area of focus). This also allows me to place context on a folder.
Most folder names have a prefix.
Inbox
+project
#area of focus (AOF)
^due by
!Projects to create
These prefixes are merely for sort order and quick reference.

EXAMPLES:
If I have project to create an expense report, I'll have a folder titled:
+Expense Report.
Within that folder I might have tasks such as:
Copy Receipts
Enter data into Concur
Etc.

#Leadership
Any tasks that deal with leadership (employee reviews, roadmap items, etc) and are not within a project go in this area of focus.

#Email Notes:
I have an IFTTB recipe that when I forward and email to a specified address it goes in to this folder.

^Due By*
This folder is for tasks that are not related to a project, staus=planning, and have a hard date associated with them.

!Projects to create*
Because I'm unable to quickly turn a tasks in to a project, I'll add it in this folder until I have time to create the project during my daily review.

Example AOF folders I use:
#Financial
#GTD Process
#Offshoring
#Meeting Prep

Tag
I strongly encourage those not using tags to consider them. Again, the INTENT here is VIEWS, and this is where Tags shine, IMO. A quick example is:
I ask one of my employees, Bill, for a strategy for upgrading a Windows server.
I have tag called 'Bill'. When I create the task, properties are:
Context: Online Home
Folder: +Server Upgrade
Tag=Bill
Importance=Med

I can run a view: 'Waiting from Bill' where Status=Waiting, and Tag contains 'Bill'. Additionally, I can run a view for 'Server Upgrade Status' where Folder=+Server Upgrade, Status=All, and then sort by Status, and then Tag. This will show me a list of who is currenly working on what.

Additionally, I use it for additional granularity. Let's say I want to change the kids shower head. One task in the +Change Shower Head project might be
Task: Get pivot ball from home depot
Context: Errands
Folder: +Change Shower Head
Tag: Weekend
Length: 30 min

This way, Saturday morning when I wake up if I have an hour to spare, I run a view called 'Weekend Chores: Head Start'
Context=Chores, Errands
Status ≠ Deferred
Tag=Weekend
Length=<60 min

Finally, I use tags for additional sense of urgency. See my 'Golden Rules' section.

I also use tags for any type of many to many relationship. I just wish there was a better way to organize/maintain tags (edit/delete/re-order, etc)

**DUE DATE**
To-date, all task management processedd I've used have been date driven. Thus it's been a little scary using a state-driven process, but that does not eliminate the need for due dates. My rule of thumb is this: If there is a hard-line date in which the task must be complete...I assign a due date and reminder. The difference here, is this is not the driving force in how I prioritize.

As an example, using the Server Upgrade. I might have a task, email customers of pending outage. We have an SLA that dictates we need to inform customers at least two days prior to the outage...thus I throw that due date on it. Easy-breazy.

Length:
I just started using this...why? Again, it's all about the views. Not every task has a length, but when I enter ones that I know can be completed relatively quickly, especially those indendant of projects, I employ them in views. See above as an example.

Priority: I've considered using the negative priority, but have other ways to filter it. I mainly use it for High and Top priority tasks.

Starred: This is simply what I want to accomplish THAT DAY. I've tried multiple methods to define current day priorities, and this is the strongest as it's quick and can be leveraged any way I desire. Essentially my 'landing' page is starred tasks.

Daily Review
During my reviews I check:
Inbox (process accordingly)
Due By folder
Someday status type
WIGs view (see below)
!Projects to Create folder

Golden Rules (primer)
1. All projects must have one 'Next Action' and one Active, Planning, or Waiting on status type.

2. I have a (WIGs) view that is:
Starred=True
Priority=Top
Tag contains 'Urgent'
Length=< 30 min

When I view this, I have to accomplish the top item before doing anything else within Toodledo. I found that I will often 'play' with the system, and will disallow myself from doing anything further within Toodledo until the top item is complete. Because I don't jeopardize the integrity of these tasks, I have 2 or 3 per week (max) of these type tasks.

3. Be open and willing to change.

In Part II I will outline the primary views I utilize (that' what its all about, isn't it?)

In Part III I will put it all together along with a typical day and how I employ this process, defining the true Golden Rules foster with this

This message was edited Oct 01, 2015.
Salgud

Score: 1 Reference
John, That's quite a system you have, well thought out. I know it's a good one because, in some ways, it's similar to my own. ;-) Even more detailed and complex than mine, but it looks like you need that kind of detail. I appreciate you're sharing it with us. I'm probably overdue to share mine again and some of the things I've learned about TD over the 5 yrs or so I've been using it. Some great stuff here for newbies to consider. Thanks again.
johnprince2112

Score: 0 Reference
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I guess in a way its an exercise in self-indulgence as simply writing this process out helps me further clarify things. It's complex only in that I tend to be long-winded in posts such as this, but the events themselves flow smoothly through my day, so here is the key to my system, which tells me it's right for me. I have confidence in it. I'm sure a year from now it will have evolved, but everything does so for the past 10 years I've tried to embrace that as opposed with fighting it. What I'm enjoying here is a state-based system as opposed with a time-based one. I'll admit I was very apprehensive....AND I've only read the cliff notes to the GTD process (I understand its principals, of course).

As noted, I'll follow up with what it's all about for me: VIEWS. Then, I'll walk through a typical 'day' and how I am able to quickly ascertain/process the endless tasks thrown my way throughout the day, illustrating the ability to calmly press a few buttons on my phone or with a few clicks of my mouse glean the least I need to know in GSD. I am not above fitting my process in to a system, and much of what I've adopted is what I've read on here in addition to years of task management systems (back in the day I was happening with a true tickler file, graduating to a 'check list' app on my Palm Pilot, etc etc).

As I've stated examples, examples, examples, I feel are gold...so good or bad, I'm sharing mine. I truly look forward to reading yours and as well as others as I'm confident I'll adopt something in my continuous improvement cycle with this.

On a side note, I've stated this previously...I've been involved with application development for over 20 years. These guys have it DOWN. Of course there are many things I'd like to see, but I feel the greatness within this application. ;-) I was just about to fund my own custom task management system (as noted I work in the industry so know lots of cats I could float x dollars to who'd build me exactly what I want)...but Toodledo has answered things I didn't know I didn't know. ;-)

And one other note...I'm unsure if he's published it or not, but I would LOVE to see Jake's (and/or his staff's) system they use.

This message was edited Oct 01, 2015.
4Boosh

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write this up. It's a lot to process. I've stopped and started GTD and GTD-like methods. I use Evernote but not for task management. I also use Michael Linenberger's methodology for dealing with Outlook at work. But in recent months I've reverted back to a million scraps of paper and notes as I also incorporate more collaboration at work with new team members...so I need to rethink my systems. I've also had trouble combo-ing work and personal systems. I WANT, in theory, to simplify and have a single system that can handle both...but in reality when I'm at work I don't want any crossover and vice a versa...I think that I just haven't fully figured out how to set up views like you have to deal with that issue.

Question - do you use the pro version?
Purveyor

Posted: Oct 02, 2015
Posted by johnprince2112:
I'll admit I was very apprehensive....AND I've only read the cliff notes to the GTD process (I understand its principals, of course).
Why "of course"?

Anyway, you might be interested in this:
https://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/15546/0/my-toodledo-quick-start-guide.html

And this:
https://www.toodledo.com/forums/5/14310/0/why-gtd-doesnt-work-and-why-i-like-my-modified-system-is-better.html

This message was edited Oct 02, 2015.
Salgud

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by 4Boosh:
I've also had trouble combo-ing work and personal systems. I WANT, in theory, to simplify and have a single system that can handle both...but in reality when I'm at work I don't want any crossover and vice a versa...I think that I just haven't fully figured out how to set up views like you have to deal with that issue.

I've struggled with this issue for many years, with other task managers prior to TD and in the first year or so I used TD (about 5 yrs ago). I finally decided to use TD only for work and something else for personal, which has changed a few times, for 2 reasons:

1. I never could keep them totally separate; one was always bleeding over into the other. Particularly things like Folders and Contexts just weren't the same for both, but both appear in the same list.

2. My task management needs at work were far more complex and detailed than in my personal life. At home, all I need is reminders of errands to run, bills to pay, etc., so I now use iOS Reminders, which does that just fine. At work, I need to know who I'm doing this particular thing for (Contexts), the task Status, Priority and so forth. I need a fairly sophisticated state-based prioritization system to keep up, having to meet the needs of my boss and others every day, which can be a delicate balancing act. At home, it's entirely up to me whether I go grocery shopping before or after I mop the floors, no one else cares! :)

So I'm satisfied with 2 separate apps. There's almost no time involved it learning Reminders and it does everything I need at home. OTOH, I've got years invested in TD, which serves my purpose and, mostly, keeps me on track at work. Of course, others may get TD alone to handle both, just a matter of personal preference.

johnprince2112

Posted by Purveyor:
Posted by johnprince2112:
I'll admit I was very apprehensive....AND I've only read the cliff notes to the GTD process (I understand its principals, of course).
Why "of course"?

Unsure if this is a question?. If it is, to elaborate, I've not sat and read the book in its entirety. I own it, and have used it as reference. So the only intel I have on the subject really comes from (aside from skimming through the book) artifacts such as http://www.43folders.com/2004/09/08/getting-started-with-getting-things-done, book summaries such as Paul Minors work, videos such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo7vUdKTlhk, local SIG meetings, etc. Oh, I also attended a conference where Mr Allen spoke on his process (among other things). So I'm novice at best....but don't *think* I'm completely ignorant on the concept. I'm sure there are dozens of 'nuggets' from within his I've yet to realize, but of course still think I I have at least a basic grasp of its principals. Whether I'm employing them or not is a different discussion. Feedback on this subject is always welcome (it's why I'm here)...so if there is something glaring I am missing from reading the entire book--as in I should reconsider moving forward with the task management process I've defined, certainly please let me know.

Thanks for the links to thread topics. I've read the vast majority of threads concerning GTD on this forum, and still learning best practices with the application so the 'Getting Started Guide' with this application is welcome. Of course, while I'm not a power user with this application, it's not completely foreign to me. As with the GTD process itself, I simply want to expand my knowledge, keep an open mind, and of course help others if I'm in a position to.Many thanks!

johnprince2112

Posted by Salgud:
Posted by 4Boosh:
I've also had trouble combo-ing work and personal systems. I WANT, in theory, to simplify and have a single system that can handle both...but in reality when I'm at work I don't want any crossover and vice a versa...I think that I just haven't fully figured out how to set up views like you have to deal with that issue.

I've struggled with this issue for many years, with other task managers prior to TD and in the first year or so I used TD (about 5 yrs ago). I finally decided to use TD only for work and something else for personal, which has changed a few times, for 2 reasons:

1. I never could keep them totally separate; one was always bleeding over into the other. Particularly things like Folders and Contexts just weren't the same for both, but both appear in the same list.

2. My task management needs at work were far more complex and detailed than in my personal life. At home, all I need is reminders of errands to run, bills to pay, etc., so I now use iOS Reminders, which does that just fine. At work, I need to know who I'm doing this particular thing for (Contexts), the task Status, Priority and so forth. I need a fairly sophisticated state-based prioritization system to keep up, having to meet the needs of my boss and others every day, which can be a delicate balancing act. At home, it's entirely up to me whether I go grocery shopping before or after I mop the floors, no one else cares! :)

So I'm satisfied with 2 separate apps. There's almost no time involved it learning Reminders and it does everything I need at home. OTOH, I've got years invested in TD, which serves my purpose and, mostly, keeps me on track at work. Of course, others may get TD alone to handle both, just a matter of personal preference.

Absolutely....often we'll find ourselves (or at least I used to) trying to fit a round peg, could not see the trees, and would take an idiomatic approach to things. The longest I've gone with a consistent (only minor tweaks) to a task management process is ~three years. I change not because I was doing something incorrectly or my current process was not working, I like to think I became smarter. ;-) I use probably 3-5 apps for my 'To Do'. Our family uses Cozi Family Planner. I;m going to see if they are interested in consuming the Toodledo APIs, but for now my wife puts her "Honey Dos" on that app. Calendar is another issue altogether. I have a fairly large Google footprint from a personal perspective (I have a large YouTube account, forums etc) so try to completely separate that from business....and with Google there is no distinction. Thus Google is personal and everything else is bidness. ;-) I have a lot of workflows running through my mind, and many involve a calendar,so I'll post separately on that as I'm to the 'build or bu?y' stage now.

Posted by 4Boosh:
Wow, thanks for taking the time to write this up. It's a lot to process. I've stopped and started GTD and GTD-like methods. I use Evernote but not for task management. I also use Michael Linenberger's methodology for dealing with Outlook at work. But in recent months I've reverted back to a million scraps of paper and notes as I also incorporate more collaboration at work with new team members...so I need to rethink my systems. I've also had trouble combo-ing work and personal systems. I WANT, in theory, to simplify and have a single system that can handle both...but in reality when I'm at work I don't want any crossover and vice a versa...I think that I just haven't fully figured out how to set up views like you have to deal with that issue.

Question - do you use the pro version?

No problem. I've used Evernote extensively, and have been a day one 'Outlook guy'.. (Take Back Your Life is a great read!!). Many systems will 'support' most all of our processes, it's the workflow that differs...and that is my interest. I'm old, my eyesight is poor, and I fat-finger everything. So the fewest possible clicks/presses, etc is desired. I still run a series of .bat files on my laptop that executes a myriad of things based on one click so am used to being lazy like that. Ha ha

Regarding the Pro version, no I am not using that. I recently acquired some new teams that are literally on each coast and strongly considered Toodldo. I had the opportunity to get funding for quite a few number of licenses...but was asked beta it with my directs (I had 6-7 of them at the time). The sticking point was the indented folders on the iOS. Because I work in app dev, my boss (CIO) is pretty particular on things such as that and in all candor was having difficulty putting together a 'case study' without that feature. To that end, I am going back to the well again in Q1 and definitely look to learn about the collaboration features. I'm being encouraged to deploy such a system, especially since I have teams literally all over the world. We will also be looking at OmniFocus and Wunderlist. I realize they have a heavier footprint (and have not engaged them yet), but it's going to be hard to pry me away from Toodledo, and I am the final decision maker on that. End-state would be 60+ resources using it, so would want to talk with Jake and his team a little about other like-organizations using it.

Anyway, I am no expert in this arena at all, I just have experience throughout the years. When rethinking your system, my advice: go for broke! Simply lay out what you would like. Your dream app that does EVERYTHING for you. Then work backward. I've been reading this forum close to a year and there is a wealth of great information on it for sure! I recently started using the Habits feature. I'm unsure how to best tie it in to my overall process (I have some ideas) but look forward to learning more about that, As stated, I'll post up my custom views (searches) in a bit. I've been round and round with those and finally settled in to a system that is working great for me.

You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.