ForumsTips & TricksUltra Wide Monitor

Ultra Wide Monitor
Highsteppin

Posted: Oct 29, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
I just wanted to pass along that I recently purchased a 34 inch ultra wide monitor. I have to say that being able to see all TD fields stretched out across the screen is really awesome and has greatly added to my productivity. While not cheap I highly recommend it for using Toodledo (and other programs).
Purveyor

Posted: Oct 29, 2015
Posted by Ron Kuntz:
[It] has greatly added to my productivity.
How?
Highsteppin

Posted: Oct 30, 2015
Purveyor

I use all the field options available in Toodledo. With the UW monitor I can see all the columns without having to slide the screen back and forth and only view a limited number of columns. This was a major productivity killer for me.
Salgud

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Ron Kuntz:
Purveyor

I use all the field options available in Toodledo. With the UW monitor I can see all the columns without having to slide the screen back and forth and only view a limited number of columns. This was a major productivity killer for me.

Just curious, how many hours a day do you think this saves you?
coolexplorer

Ron Kuntz, Glad you are enjoying your new "34 inch ultra wide monitor". I can see how the extra real estate would be useful and nicer on the eye, though expensive.

I am not a "techie" person (hope the term is not politically wrong), and use a single wide screen on my laptop.

Was just wondering about the benefits of having 2 or 3 screens (which I have read about) vs one large one?
Highsteppin

Coolexplorer

I actually used a duel monitor system for a number of years (2 19 inch monitors) until I bought the ultra wide monitor to use with my MS Surface Pro. The setup was great and did much improve my workflow and efficiency. I could not go back to not having multiple monitors now. I would hate flipping back and forth between windows and it would certainly reduce my efficiency.

One of the nice features of the Ultra Wide is the ability to split the screen into multiple windows (up to 4). I often have it split into two windows. I also can use my Surface's Screen as an additional screen. So the UW monitor is like have two monitors. But you can also use it as a single wide monitor to view all the columns in TD or additional columns of spreadsheet. Working with TD and being able see all the columns and still have a large print size it truly awesome.

I'm not sure what you would pay for 2 monitors but for me I would rather have one ultra wide even if it cost a bit more.
Purveyor

Posted by Ron Kuntz:
This was a major productivity killer for me.
Well, that could be the new tag line for Toodledo: Not a major productivity killer ... if you have an Ultra-Wide monitor. ;-)

And, given that interface changes are being implemented to make the website more usable on a mobile device, how productive can anyone be with a screen that is 1/7 the size?

It's clear that it is time for an alternative to the spreadsheet format.
Highsteppin

Score: 1 Reference
Pretty funny Purveyor. But don't quit your day job.... if you have one...j/k :).

I will try to explain. When I am planning my week/day or even adding tasks on the fly, I often have multiple programs open, Toodledo, Outlook, my business software. With one small monitor I would have to flip back and forth between all my open windows. With multiple monitors or an ultra wide I can just cut and paste and reference information without constantly opening and closing various windows. Then when I want a good overview of my tasks I can expand Toodledo so I have a complete view, which is totally sweet!!! Not everyone would benefit from this setup, but I sure do and I know others would also. I posted this to hopefully help others who may benefit from it.

This is the beauty of Toodledo, it can be tailored to fit various needs and work styles. Just because my way isn't your way doesn't make it wrong.

This message was edited Oct 31, 2015.
Purveyor

Posted: Oct 31, 2015
Thanks, Ron, for the clarification.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with your way. In fact, it is similar to my way. 

About 10 years ago, I started using a desktop computer with two 19” monitors and, a couple of years later, I bought a 15” laptop and a 20” monitor for home use. Three years ago, a replaced the laptop with a 21” iMac, and I’m using the 20” as my second monitor. Recently, I got a new desktop for my work office, along with a 27” monitor. 

There are definitely advantages to using large monitors but not much when using Toodledo which, after all, is not a tool for actually accomplishing anything -- it is a tool for tracking what to accomplish and what was accomplished. The actual work involves other tools, other resources, and other people. 

In a typical day, I spend a total of about 15 minutes in Toodledo. That's not going to change much whether I use the screen on my iPhone or I use multiple large monitors.  But I can't do my actual work effectively and efficiently on a small screen so I've invested in some large monitors. 

Anyway, that's it for now.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
:-)
insanum

Posted: Nov 12, 2015
Posted by Ron Kuntz:
Pretty funny Purveyor. But don't quit your day job.... if you have one...j/k :).

I will try to explain. When I am planning my week/day or even adding tasks on the fly, I often have multiple programs open, Toodledo, Outlook, my business software. With one small monitor I would have to flip back and forth between all my open windows. With multiple monitors or an ultra wide I can just cut and paste and reference information without constantly opening and closing various windows. Then when I want a good overview of my tasks I can expand Toodledo so I have a complete view, which is totally sweet!!! Not everyone would benefit from this setup, but I sure do and I know others would also. I posted this to hopefully help others who may benefit from it.

This is the beauty of Toodledo, it can be tailored to fit various needs and work styles. Just because my way isn't your way doesn't make it wrong.

I think you need to look into using a tiling window manager. Keep your hand off the mouse and you'll productivity will fly.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.