ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by j2020"
j2020

Posted Dec 09, 2013 in: Toodledo Database Compromised
Score: 1
  • j2020
  • Posted: Dec 09, 2013
  • Score: 1
Thank you, Jake, for the thoughtful and informative reply. I'm glad to hear about the changes that are being made.
j2020

Posted Dec 06, 2013 in: Toodledo Database Compromised
Score: 0
  • j2020
  • Posted: Dec 06, 2013
  • Score: 0
I am extremely disappointed not to have received an email about this, regardless of whether or not Toodledo thought the data involved was "significant". It is only by chance that I stumbled across it in the forum news and that is unacceptable.

Security, including the means to contact customers (what would you have done if the breach had been worse?) should not be optional, even if it is "a challenge :)" There doesn't seem to be a problem sending subscription renewal emails, which says a lot about the order of priorities.
j2020

Score: -1
  • j2020
  • Posted: Nov 29, 2012
  • Score: -1
Posted by mlb32704:
if there was one feature in Pro that warranted the expense from my perspective, I would have signed up for it... I'm not paying $14.95 a year... just so ToodleDo looks the same across devices and the Web site.

I did not call you long winded, nor did I call you cheap. As a Pro user who only uses one or two of the Pro features myself (but who finds those few features invaluable) I was merely offering a change of perspective. My point was that an instant solution to your problem already exists if you want to utilize it, and that the price may be worth it just for that one feature even if you have no use for the others. If it isn't, that's fine. I'm sorry you were offended by my suggestion.
j2020

Score: -1
  • j2020
  • Posted: Nov 29, 2012
  • Score: -1
Posted by mlb32704:
I am Basic, no need or intentions of going Pro.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if something is important enough to you to write a lengthy feature request about it, maybe it's also worth paying for. A $14.95 annual subscription comes out to 4 pennies a day.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2012.
j2020

Posted Oct 17, 2011 in: Backup and Restore Options
Score: 2
  • j2020
  • Posted: Oct 17, 2011
  • Score: 2
Posted by simon:
Now, if only the download file name could be made to make sense to an Englishman. It took me a while to realise that 'toodledo_back_110927" wasn't a bug causing an incorrect date of 11th September 1927 ;-)

Almost all computer files use this date format. YYMMDD puts the data in sequential (chronological)order. It has nothing to do with country of origin (typical date order in the US is MMDDYY, which doesn't work either). It has to do with being able to sort the data chronologically and "drill down" into smaller and smaller blocks of time. Some applications even use YYMMDDMMSS, where the last two variables are minutes and seconds.
j2020

Posted Oct 11, 2011 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011
Score: 3
  • j2020
  • Posted: Oct 11, 2011
  • Score: 3
Posted by brian:

I checked today and the speed problem disappeared. No change to my browser or config so some improvement must have beend one on your end.

-- Brian

I see in a previous post that you are using Firefox. I have experienced slowness problems (not just in Toodledo) with some releases of Firefox. I've also seen slowness due to plug-in problems. The McAfee Siteadvisor plug-in is a great example of this. Several times after browser and/or plug-in updates, it caused Firefox to virtually grind to a halt, despite the fact that the plug-in itself appeared to working normally. There is no overt indication that the problem is related to the plug-in, so it took a little while to discover that it was the cause. Next time you have an issue, try running Firefox in safe mode to eliminate the influence of plug-ins. Also, the version of FF you listed is out of date, so try updating it.

As an IT administrator, I often hear people say "nothing changed on my system" but they are unaware of a lot of the automated updates that take place in the background, or they make a change or update that they assume is unrelated to the problem so they rule it out prematurely. The cause of a problem isn't always connected in an obvious way to its symptoms.

This message was edited Oct 11, 2011.
j2020

Posted Jul 14, 2011 in: SubTasks with Predecessors
  • j2020
  • Posted: Jul 14, 2011
I like that idea.
j2020

• j2020
  • Posted: Jun 15, 2011
FYI - Toodledo works fine for me on multiple Win7 PCs in both Firefox 4.0.1 and IE9.

My guess is there's something going on with the setup of your home PCs. Maybe a conflicting browser Add-On? Java configuration or cookie setting, or some other conflicting security setting?
j2020

Posted Jun 10, 2011 in: Search in iPhone app?
  • j2020
  • Posted: Jun 10, 2011
Is there a search function in the iPhone app? I looked but didn't see it. I've gotten used to having it from using Apigo Todo, but am trying to switch to the Toodledo app.
j2020

• j2020
  • Posted: Jun 01, 2011
Have you tried Filters (top of the page on right side)? You can hide by -1 priority or by future date.

It's a global setting though, so if your goal is to only affect some tasks, then it may not work for you.

This message was edited Jun 01, 2011.
j2020

Posted Jun 01, 2011 in: Subtasks for me works.. strange
  • j2020
  • Posted: Jun 01, 2011
Near the top of the page next to 'Show Notes' and 'Close Dividers' you should see 'Subtasks: Flattened Hidden Indented'. Try clicking Hidden or Indented.
j2020

• j2020
  • Posted: May 31, 2011
Like you, I've struggled to find a modern solution that gracefully combines calendar and to do list features (I used to use Palm, which had that capability). I have found that for my purposes, Toodledo alone does not suffice. Maybe it's because we are a busy family with many events to keep track of each day (in addition to countless to-do's), but we simply needed more robust calendaring and sharing. Our solution (currently) is to use Google calendar in addition to Toodledo. Google calendar is nice because you can access it from any browser (solves your Apple/PC problem) and it also syncs automatically with a large variety of devices (iPhone, etc).

The best feature is that you can selectively share your calendars. Thus my wife and I can share a "Family" calendar and a "Potential Events" calendar and a "Birthdays" calendar, and any change/addition one of us makes is immediately and automatically reflected in the other's calendars. You can also choose which calendars to view, so although I have have read access to her work calendar, I can choose to keep it hidden most of the time for less clutter on my own devices. I do the same thing with some third-party calendars too, for example I'm synced with the calendar for my fitness center's hours and events, but I can choose to keep that information hidden most of time so it doesn't clutter my view.

There are two weak points in the system. One is the lack of robust to-do sharing. Some items get dumped to the calendar that probably shouldn't, simply because it's the easiest way to share them with each other. Hopefully Toodledo will be enhancing to-do sharing functions soon to make things a little more seamless. The other weak point is that the calendar seems more "important" than the to-do list. You tend to check the calendar to make sure you're where you need to be, but it's easy to let things slip a little on the to-do list if you aren't vigilant. High priority dated to-do's walk a fuzzy line between being to-do list items or being calendar-worthy.
j2020

• j2020
  • Posted: May 27, 2011
Posted by Salgud:
I don't think it's a problem with the design, I think it's operator error here. :)

Perhaps you've never used a system that handles subtasks effectively. Subtasking is more than just a "container" to put tasks in. It allows you to be more effective by not only grouping your tasks, but also by hiding tasks that are not relevant, and drawing attention to tasks that are.

Read the following (taken directly from the Toodledo subtasks help page) and tell me if you think it sounds like a good design:
"It is important to understand the nesting behavior. When subtasks are nested, they will be hidden inside their parent task and will only be visible when you reveal them. This could cause you to forget about an important subtask.

For example, if you have nesting turned on, a subtask that is due today will not appear in the "Due Today" section unless the parent task is also due today. It is safer to view subtasks flattened out because they won't be hidden and potentially forgotten."

"Hidden"? "Potentially forgotten"? Do these sound like qualities you're looking for in an organizational system?

Basically the options are: Show all subtasks all the time (which defeats the major purpose of subtasks in the first place), or hide subtasks and risk overlooking them (which defeats the purpose of due dates).

I'm happy for you that you've never lost a task. I envy you. I have over 150 tasks in my Work folder alone. That's way too many to keep flattened and manage effectively. But it is equally unmanageable to put them in dozens of subgroups and constantly be opening and closing each one to check for upcoming deadlines, etc.

Having to choose Due Dates or Subtasking, but not being able to use both at the same time, is lame.

This message was edited May 27, 2011.
j2020

Posted May 27, 2011 in: VOTE: Your Top Two Toodledo Requests
  • j2020
I was inspired to start this topic because, 1) it seems that the same feature requests appear in this forum over and over (some for years), and 2) I was flipping through the Tools & Services page and saw a lot of stuff that, while it may be nice for a few people, seems unlikely to be used by the majority of users. Is there really more demand for a Firefox Addon, Netvibes module, and Pageflake support than there is for an effective Collaboration Tool?

So in the spirit of prioritizing the feature request herd, I ask you, users of Toodelo, what are the TWO features/tools/changes that you would MOST like to see? Here are mine:

1. Real Collaboration/Sharing.
Doesn't have to be complicated, just has to work. For example, a shared folder in which all collaborators would be able to create/edit/complete tasks, and if one person made a change it would be reflected in every collaborator's account.

2. Real Subtasking.
By which I mean, parent due dates change to reflect next subtask due date. This way you can actually collapse your subtasks, but without worrying that a hidden due date will be missed.

j2020

• j2020
4) Due date of parent task is not automatically updated to reflect the next sub-task due date. This means your choice is to either: Leave all subtasks expanded at all times so you don't miss a due date (thereby filling your visible list with dozens of unnecessary items) or, collapse your subtasks so your list isn't an unusable mess (and end up missing a due date because the relevant subtask is hidden).

Really, the current "subtask" system is more of a glorified tagging method than an actual subtasking system.

j2020

Posted May 12, 2011 in: FYI RE IE9
  • j2020
  • Posted: May 12, 2011
My keyboard shortcuts work fine in IE9.
j2020

• j2020
  • Posted: May 12, 2011
Posted by PeterW:
Have you tried Appigo Todo? I use it on the iPhone and am really happy with the way it handles subtasks.

Todo is a good product. However it doesn't allow you (I don't think) to view subtasks inline within your main task list.

On the plus side, it DOES show a large indicator sort of like a badge next to each parent task that shows the total number of subtasks inside and how many are undone. It is very obvious and easy to see. You have to tap on the parent for it to open and display the subtasks.

Another plus of Todo's handling of subtasks is that within your main task list it automatically changes the due date of the parent to be whatever the next subtask due date is. Super handy, and makes it so that you don't have to actually open your subtask list to know when the next one is due. Unfortunately it only shows up that way in Todo, and there is no way for the coolness to make it's way back to the Toodledo website. Toodledo claims to be working on that feature, but it's been quite a while.

I have had zero problems with the Todo app synced to Toodledo in two years of use.
j2020

Posted May 11, 2011 in: We want an official Android app !!!
  • j2020
  • Posted: May 11, 2011
Posted by deftdrummer:
Quality apps are just not found that often on Android. I'm not trying to rub anything in your guy's faces, but this is the very real situation of how and why developers are going to go where the money is and where the product is easy to maintain.

I agree. The reality is, Android is a mess to develop apps for. You have to support miscellaneous hardware, multiple generations of the OS, a variety of removable storage options, numerous screen sizes and resolutions, and so forth. I'm not saying iOS is inherently better, but the "flexibility" of Android makes it a very squirmy moving target for developers. Until Google tightens things up a little, I wouldn't get your hopes up about seeing app support equal to iOS.
j2020

Posted Apr 29, 2011 in: SNOOZING
  • j2020
  • Posted: Apr 29, 2011
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
j2020

Posted Apr 28, 2011 in: SNOOZING
  • j2020
  • Posted: Apr 28, 2011
Posted by Toodledo:
but for the most part,we are waiting for Apple to solve this problem since snoozing should be an iOS feature for alarms, not a per-app feature.

I have other apps that have a snooze feature (For example: "Alarmed" and "Reminders!"). Both run in the background and have pop-up messages and audible alarms that can be snoozed with a single button for user-defined intervals. How is Toodledo different from these apps?

Reading your post more closely, it sounds like what you are saying is that you actually could create a snooze function now, but instead have chosen to wait for Apple to do it. Am I misunderstanding?
Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next