ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Ummagumma"
Ummagumma

Posted Mar 22, 2018 in: Need advice for family collaboration
Score: 0
IFFTT seems like the coolest idea in the world until it royally screws things up.

What mobile OS are you on ?
Ummagumma

Posted Mar 22, 2018 in: Need advice for family collaboration
First, I don't think you can do it with Toodledo without signing up everybody. That's the whole idea behind making task collaboration a paid feature, isn't it ?

At any rate, if your family members aren't really into advanced task management, you're walking a thin line here ;) Mutinies can turn ugly...

You could probably see all tasks in all lists using Pocket Informant, and move tasks between Toodledo and whatever system your family is using. I am not sure if Informant syncs with Todoist but it does sync with Google tasks. It's been a while since I've used it. It's a subscription now anyway, probably not what you're after.

I have a similar setup using Calengoo, but it doesn't sync with Toodledo. The problem is, almost nothing syncs with Toodledo on the desktop, and not too many apps on mobile. :(

I use Apple Reminders lists shared with my family members, and expand on basic functionality using Calengoo on mobile and Outlook on Windows. Basically, the only added feature that we all use is custom alerts that can be set independently of due date. There's more added functionality that only I use (start dates, labels, priorities) but they are transparent to others. That's the beauty of Reminders based system - it's not overwhelming from the start, and everyone can use pnly the features they want without having to deal with complicated task detail dialogs.

A similar setup could be achieved using Google tasks.

But I don't see how you do it in Toodledo without getting everyone a subscription.
Ummagumma

Posted Mar 06, 2018 in: Current State of 3rd-Party Apps
Posted by Purveyor:
If you can view your Exchange tasks in the Reminders app on your iPhone, then you're using a "3rd party mobile sync client".

The "approved" sync client, which only syncs to OS "native" calendar and tasks.

Well, then: Good luck.

Not waiting for them to do anything, which is why I am no longer using the service.
Ummagumma

Posted by Purveyor:
That's why I posted a link to TaskTask.

Yes, it is a "3rd party app" but, until Microsoft adds Tasks to their iOS Outlook app or they dramatically improve their To-Do app, TaskTask is your best option for syncing an iOS device with Outlook/Exchange Tasks.

There's a number of options as long as I don't use Toodledo.

Also, no 3rd party mobile sync client is allowed to connect to our corporate Exchange account, and for all I know this is a pretty common policy. The best approach seems to be to use the native Reminders app as the sync conduit, and build the custom functionality on top of it so that it syncs through to Outlook. And this can most certainly be accomplished. Calengoo does it, AFAIK Informant does it, PlanBe used to do it (now it appears to have been taken off the US Appstore), Outlook.com does it, and there's no reason why Toodledo can't do it.

Also, keep in mind that syncing between Outlook Tasks and Toodledo will require several compromises. What do you do with Outlook Categories, attachments, links and formatted notes? What do you do with Toodledo subtasks, Folders, Contexts, Tags, Locations, Goals and Stars? Probably you don't use all of those fields but any designer of an Outlook/Toodledo sync tool has to decide what to sync and what to ignore.

Well, there's always a compromise. The most important task features that Toodledo offers *for me* is the start date, the star, alarm, tags, and the variety of filters and custom views. I can live without goals or contexts.

All of these functions are available in Outlook, or can be achieved using filters and custom views.

E.g. if I go in Outlook and start a new task

"Task123 #Project 1" and assign the start date of 3/8, alarm at 1 pm on 3/10, and due date of 3/12, when it syncs to my iPad via Reminders and I open Calengoo, I will see Task123 with label "Project 1" and start date, alarm, and due date preserved. If I enter "Task 231" on Calengoo with start date of 3/10, alarm at 12 am on 3/11, due date on 3/12, and label "Hot" it will appearin Outlook as "Task 231 #Hot" with correct dates and alarm. Even though iOS Reminders app is completely oblivious to most of these values, it still works with it acting as a sync intermediary. Calengoo doesn't use Outlook categories, but because of the simple and straigthforward way the labels (categories) have been implemented by developer, it is very easy to use them in Outlook via searches / filters / custom views / conditional formatting.

There's no reason why Toodledo developers couldn't come up with a similar way to syncronize with Exchange via Reminders without sacrificing much, if any, functionality. It's just not something they are interested in. (Or rather "he" as I believe there's really only Jake working on the code...)

So, the choice for me is between using all of the Toodledo's functionality but without Outlook integration, or much of functionality + Outlook integration, but without using Toodledo.

This message was edited Mar 06, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted by Purveyor:
Posted by Ummagumma:
Because the majority of my tasks are work related, and many if not most are email driven, and I want to be able to easily and quickly create them from within Outlook and sync to my task manager.
But Outlook has a powerful task manager. What additional benefit do you get from using Toodledo along with Outlook instead of just using Outlook?

How do I get Outlook tasks on my phone and iPad without using some other app ?

I am away from my laptop at least 50% of time (traveling, quick meetings, etc.) and having my tasks always accessible on my mobile devices is the key to productivity.
Ummagumma

Score: 1
Posted by Purveyor:
Posted by Ummagumma:
The majority of desktops in the corporate environment run Outlook and Exchange, yet there's very little choice for syncing TD with it.
I can appreciate wanting to integrate Toodledo with Outlook but why in a corporate environment with Exchange?

Because the majority of my tasks are work related, and many if not most are email driven, and I want to be able to easily and quickly create them from within Outlook and sync to my task manager.

I think most users of Toodledo are in the same boat, I.e. the majority of their tasks are work related.

When you mention "Reminders", I'm guessing that you're referring to the iOS app that can sync with Exchange.
There's a much more powerful app available. Take a look at: TaskTask.

Reminders serve as sync vehicle, using iCloud for Windows. There’s a number of apps that expand on Reminders functionality. My favorite app at the moment is Calengoo, which is a very good calendar and a decent task manager (supports task start date, custom alarms, tags, and “Today” function using Top priority).

The advantage of using Reminders as the base for my task setup is that it’s not tied to any unique 3rd party tool. There’s currently two “1st party” ways to sync Outlook tasks to iOS Reminders - either via Outlook.com Tasks using MS provided tool, or via iCloud for Windows using Apple provided tool. I’ve tried both methods and they are both pretty reliable. I can then use Calengoo or some other 3rd party tool to expand the Reminders functionality (and with Calengoo at least, the additional functions can also be used in Outlook, i.e. I can add a custom reminder or start date in Outlook and it will sync through to Calengoo even though the Reminders app is clueless about that).

The problem is, as much as I like Toodledo, it’s a thing in itself, I can only use it via Web interface or a mobile app. There’s no integration with Outlook. And having that integration more than makes up for some lost functionality. I did try gSyncit but it could not get through our firewall and I received zero help from developers.
Ummagumma

Posted Mar 05, 2018 in: Current State of 3rd-Party Apps
Score: 1
Toodledo needs a native Windows sync app. Otherwise it's at the mercy of 3rd party apps none of which is a compelling solution.

The majority of desktops in the corporate environment run Outlook and Exchange, yet there's very little choice for syncing TD with it.

If gSyncit for whatever reason fails to work - as it did for me - that's it.

A CalDav access could be a viable alternative, but it's clear that Toodledo is not planning on providing it.

I had a Silver plan that is still good through October but I am no longer using TD. I need to be able to create and see my tasks in Outlook and this means using Reminders. Or MS Todo once they work out the bugs.

Toodledo is a great system but it's far too restricted.
Ummagumma

I use 2Do with Toodledo. But I am constantly fluctuating between Toodledo and Reminders...
Ummagumma

Posted Aug 25, 2017 in: Project Support Material
Toodledo is a thing in itself. It has a very good web interface but they pretty much left the desktop and mobile integration to others. I have a sneaky suspicion Jake is the only developer so the development priorities are shaped by what he can / want to do, and not necessarily by what makes more sense from the user perspective.

Outlook doesn't have to suck. It's an incredibly flexible tool that can be set up to closely mimic what Toodledo does. I assume you're familiar with setting up custom views ?

What does suck is mobile client integration. Just like Toodledo...

If you can make gSyncit work for you, you should be set.

If not, check out Outlook.com. If you create an Outlook.com account and sync it to Outlook (no special tools required) it will support most of the Outlook task properties such as Start Date and Category. It will also sync them to Apple Reminders. You won't see the Start dates in Reminders, but there are mobile task and calendar apps that can use that data (CalenGoo, PlanBe). So you can use Onenote to track project info, create Outlook tasks, sync them to mobile, and back.

I switched back from this setup to Toodledo because I wanted to use a more advanced task manager (2Do) and it didn't work well with Outlook - it would not sync any special task properties via Reminders. I also grew tired of Onenote, it's a great tool for storing data but hard to keep organized when actively tracking multiple large projects. I am using a mind mapping type software now and it doesn't integrate with Outlook anyway.

But Calengoo<>Reminders<>Outlook.com<>Outlook<>Onenote worked very well for me.
Ummagumma

Posted Aug 22, 2017 in: Project Support Material
If you're using Onenote and Outlook, the only way to really make it work with Toodledo is via gSyncit, which is unfortunately blocked by my work firewall.

Otherwise, it's same the old "pick any 2 of the 3 features you want" approach.
Ummagumma

In my experience, the iPad app sync is very buggy. I had major issues with sync and by the process of elimination was able to trace them to the iPad app (no idea why the iPhone app didn't seem to have these problems).

Unfortunately, there's no easy free or cheap replacement. 2Do, which is what I am currently using, is an exceptionally powerful and well designed app, but it doesn't support all of the Toodledo features (e.g. no Status, Context or Goals), and is somewhat pricey one-time purchase.. Pocket Informant supports most if not all features but is an expensive yearly subscription and I really don't like the direction they've taken, both with pricing and breaking things that worked just fine.
Ummagumma

Posted Aug 22, 2017 in: Google Drive storage?
Are you not supposed to even have your tasks stored outside, or just the attachments ?

You can set up a local file link in the notes & then copy and paste it into command window - it sounds clunky but is actually pretty fast.

E.g.:

D:\Data\....\Documents\Market conditions meeting.pptx

I have an Address toolbar enabled on my Windows taskbar, all I have to do is copy the link from Toodledo task Note and paste into Address toolbar and it will launch the file.

The link will work on any computer as long as you maintain the same exact directory structure. That's why I keep all files in D:\Data on all of my Windows machines.

You can also set up a link to a cloud drive.
Ummagumma

FWIW, the only app that has consistently given me reliable location based reminders is 2Do. I was never able to get reliable location reminders in Toodledo, Pocket Informant, or Reminders app.
Ummagumma

Pros:

- Has start date and "Today" (star) features, that are missing from most other task managers
- Highly customizable custom searches
- Reasonably priced premium subscriptions
- Exceptionally full featured free plan (to the point it probably cannibalizes potential premium subscriptions - but then, Toodledo is not exactly an eye candy or super easy to start using efficiently for a complete novice, so it must attract new clients somehow).

Cons:

- No saved custom filters (i.e. saved preset status of "eye" icon that could be used in any view, as opposed to saved searches that can only be used in the search view)

- The usability of saved searches is hindered by having to manually add any new folder.

- Not feasible to set up project templates since bulk copying of tasks between folders is not possible.

- Can't hide (collapse) a subtask and have it automatically show up on due date. This and the above issue make subtasks far less useful than they could have been, and thus make the Silver subscription far less appealing.

- No Outlook sync client. That's about 60% of desktop PIM market.

- The mobile app in it's current form is unappealing and for some of us hard to use, due to the cluttered interface with tiny main subject font yet "loud" secondary information.

- The file attachments don't sync to mobile, making the Gold subscription far less appealing.

Basically, it's a great system hindered by it's own arbitrary designed in-limitations.

BTW, I find it easy to separate personal and business projects using folders, but YMMW.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2017.
Ummagumma

Thank you for reply, just some comments

>1. TaskAngel does a pure sync to Toodledo. It doesn't sync with Apple's Reminders as well, although of course it does use iOS notifications to remind you about tasks.

I was referring to adding tasks by voice via Siri (a very useful feature when e.g. driving). The list can be assigned by voice (e.g. "Hey Siri add Call Bob to my Work list". Toodledo then matches the Reminders' List to it's Folders. So no further action is required on user's part.

Using Tags to filter lists on iOS means every item must be tagged manually. This is probably not an issue with tasks added in Toodledo but it would be with tasks added via Siri (which is probably 20-30% of my tasks).

> 2. According to the App Store, 2Do Pro is four times the price of TaskAngel Pro.

Yes, but I have it already ;) To switch to TA on Windows and iOS would be about $25. So I need to figure if it will support my workflow.

>3. Our Windows app has been available for many years and we are continuing to enhance it.

>4. We will introduce custom filtering on iOS if there is a demand for it. We will shortly be drawing up our plans for the next release, so that's a candidate. No date yet.

No offense, but without custom filtering, Toodledo - and anything that syncs with it - would lose most of it's appeal vs other (simpler and prettier) services. Two main reasons to stick with it are the start date support and custom filtering (two related features).

> 5. On Windows you can use the same TaskAngel license on two computers at once.

Good to know. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions !
Ummagumma

Thank you for reply. It seems easier to assign folders than lists, also unless I am mistaken, Reminders created via Siri are synced to matching folders, not tags. Does TaskAngel for iOS support direct sync to reminders ?

At this point, I am kind of torn. All in all, 2Do is an incredibly powerful application with amazing quick filtering. TaskAngel is pretty expensive (Windows + iOS), and doesn't support as many features. OTOH, having the same program on both the desktop and mobile is very useful. The 2Do developer says the Windows version is in the works but this may take another few years.

Are you planning on adding custom filtering to the iOS version soon ? Also, how many computers can the Windows license be used on ?
Ummagumma

Hello,

I tried your app. It has a lot of promise but there are two areas in which I can't seem to make it suit my workflow:

1) I couldn't find a way to create custom filters or saved searches that would work on more than one folder. E.g. I have several folders related to personal tasks, and in both Toodledo and 2Do I have saved filters that would only show me personal tasks. In TA, I didn't find a way to do that. (It may be possible via tags which are a paid feature, but I don't want to be forced to assign a tag to every single task).

2) No way to add the tasks starting today to the Hotlist. I use the Start Date as a reminder to look at a task & define the next action for it. How would I do this in TA ?

Thank you !
Ummagumma

Posted Jul 30, 2017 in: Major sync issue...
Posted by andrew:
Hi,

I'm the author of TaskAngel, which also syncs with Toodledo. In the past we have introduced bugs in our app that caused tasks to be duplicated. These are usually easy to detect but often they are hard to fix because there are so many things that can cause them.

I don't recall ever seeing tasks duplicating due to problems with Toodledo. And I didn't see any duplication problems over the period you asked about.

My first port of call would be to suspect a problem in 2Do and work with them on a fix.

Thank you for your suggestion.

I have traced the problem to Toodledo on iPad. It is possible that there was an issue between it and 2Do, but as long as I don't enable Toodledo native app sync on iPad, I have no problems.
Ummagumma

The iOS client's tiny font is very difficult to read for my not so great eyes.

I understand that a larger font may require some interface adjustments, but how hard is it to just make it bold ?
Ummagumma

The whole approach to the way the subtasks are handled is making them less useful than they could have been.

Ideally, subtasks should be hidden / collapsed, but shown automatically if they hit start date or due date. This would allow to keep them from cluttering the task list yet still make sure that the user doesn't miss the important dates.

However, as I understand, this is a limitation of the underlying programming system.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2017.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22      Next