ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Dec 01, 2015 in: Tasks Redesign (part 5)
Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 01, 2015
  • Score: 2
Kudos to the TD team! The Batch Edit of any task list instead of just Saved Searches is the first long-requested significant addition to task management features in over 2 years! I'm very happy to see this as I've been hoping that you would turn your attention to task management once again. Please don't make us wait for 2 more years to see another!
Salgud

Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Dec 01, 2015
  • Score: 0
Posted by ralph.wettach:
Me too, I can't find the multi edit function any more. Is it the popup "+" in orange circle? This "+" doesn't work at all. PLEASE FIX! This is one of my favorite functions.

Extreme right of dark blue band, next to Sort options, white circle, blue down arrow, 2nd option down below Print.
Salgud

Posted Nov 30, 2015 in: Quick search
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 30, 2015
Bit of a workaround, but you can search both using a Saved Search. You can also search whatever's open on the page (making sure task notes are exposed) using Ctrl-F from your browser.
Salgud

• Salgud
You need to create 5 tasks.

In over 25 years of using electronic task managers, I don't recall a single one that can do that.
Salgud

Posted Nov 30, 2015 in: Am I doing this right?
  • Salgud
I can't speak for most people here, I wouldn't know. I use Folders for my main projects, and parent tasks for the various tasks that have subtasks. However, there are so many ways to do it in TD, we can each create what works best for us.
Salgud

Posted Nov 24, 2015 in: Todoist vs Toodledo -- Why I'm back.
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 24, 2015
Since someone's actually asking...

For years I've been a proponent of a "Views" option in TD, which would contain views of my task list based on custom searches, but preserving Sort & Filter settings. So I could go there to see a saved search with the same sort order and filter settings every time. Saved Searches are almost there since the option to save the Sort order has been available, so this would just add the ability to save the filter settings as well.
Salgud

Posted Nov 24, 2015 in: Task view too wide
  • Salgud
Click and drag the right edge of the browser window toward the left.
Salgud

Posted Nov 24, 2015 in: Tasks Redesign (part 5)
  • Salgud
Posted by DrFrankBuck:
Posted by Dave:
I like the changes and love the Batch Edit functionality. For the streamlined search, I have a small suggestion. When you click on the magnifying glass next to the ToodleDo logo, it opens up the advanced search entry area (I'm doing this while already looking at a specific search). Unfortunately, there is no way to close the search entry area without refreshing the screen or running a search. Could you possibly enable a click on the magnifying glass again to close the search entry area if it is open?

There is an "X" at the right-hand end of that line. Clicking it closes the search.

I'm with Dave. I don't have the "x" on the right. Using Chrome 46.xxx. I tried expanding the screen, but still not there.
Salgud

Posted Nov 24, 2015 in: Tasks Redesign (part 5)
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Score: 1
I appreciate your approach, it made adapting to the new format much easier than it would have been had you changed it all at once. This latest change to Searching will take some getting used to, but I can already see that it's much better than the old way.

Thanks for all these improvements. I look forward to the upcoming ones you've mentioned.

O yea, it does look MUCH BETTER!
Salgud

Posted Nov 23, 2015 in: Deleting
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 23, 2015
Actually, I should have mentioned that there are other workarounds for this issue, depending on what features you are already using, and how much effort you're willing to put into it (usually determined by how many tasks you want to edit). Let me know if you'd like further details.
Salgud

Posted Nov 23, 2015 in: Deleting
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 23, 2015
  • Score: -1
Posted by hldeiss:
I am no longer able to delete a single item using the trash can - how can I get it deleted?

Not sure about this. Maybe a bug?

Secondly, how can I delete a bunch of tasks. It should allow me to click the box to the left and then delete all - but where is that command?

Thanks.

This isn't Gmail. Clicking the "box to the left" is not for selecting tasks, but for marking them complete. The only way to delete multiple tasks is to figure out a common set of traits, like they're all in Folder "Plan Jihad", with a tag of "Kill". Then you can filter on those parameters, and multi-edit to Delete. Otherwise, it's one at a time.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 20, 2015
Posted by coolexplorer:

In the Priority field I need only Top, High, Low, and Negative. I don't use Medium (which is a cop-out anyway). I would love to have an additional Importance designator so I can use use the 4 priority matrix without a convoluted work-around.

I guess this is where we differ. Where as you see renaming Top, High, Low and Negative in my mind as Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4 as a "convoluted workaround", I see it as a simple way to take what's available and reframe to suit my needs.

When I was responsible for planning monthly meetings that had a different location every month, I used the Location field to enter the location of the meeting, and ignored the geofencing aspect as I had no need for that. I guess some would consider that a "convoluted workaround", but to me, I was just glad I had a field that I could adapt to my purpose. One man's ceiling...
Salgud

Posted Nov 19, 2015 in: Sadly, I am saying goodbye to Toodledo
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 19, 2015
I totally agree with you about PI.

Best of luck!
Salgud

Posted Nov 19, 2015 in: selective alarms
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 19, 2015
Posted by Jake:
Salgud,

Im surprised you haven't found the search function in the Notes section. Its been there since day 1. In the top right corner of the notes section is a search bar. Type your query in here which will start by searching the title. If that doesn't find the note, you can click the "Continue Searching in full text" link at the bottom of the note list to do a full search of the entire note.

And to elaborate on how to search a Task's note, this will explain how to do an advanced search: http://www.toodledo.com/info/search.php

Doh!
Salgud

Posted Nov 18, 2015 in: Tasks Redesign (part 4)
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 18, 2015
Posted by calendar_1348624449:

I can also stop in the middle of adding the task and open other programs or answer a phone call without worrying about the task getting lost among the 300+ tasks that we have at any one time.

I've found a way to avoid losing a new task, after losing a few this same way. I have new tasks default to Due Date Today, so they automatically appear in my custom Hotlist, which among other things, shows any task Due today.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2015.
Salgud

Posted Nov 18, 2015 in: The Real Power of TD, Saved Searches
  • Salgud
I've noticed a number of posts lately asking questions about views that don't come with TD in it's native form.I'm getting the impression that many users don't fully understand the power of Saved Searches, and how they can access the real depth of TDs capabilities. So I've decided to post what I consider to be a good example of a Saved Search, one I use literally every day and is the basis of my application of TD.

Below are the criteria for my custom Hotlist, which I use because the canned one just doesn't work for me (I tried to take a pic of mine and post it here, but Imageshack kept telling me to try to upload the image later (I tried different images) and Imgur wanted me to enter a CAPCHA code but wouldn't provide one to enter!.)

Checked Off | No
and
Folder | Is not | Templates
and
Status | Is not | Canceled
and
Due date | is before | tomorrow
or
Start date | is before | tomorrow
or
Due Date | doesn't exist
and
Status | is | next action
or
Start date | is before | tomorrow
or
Due Date | doesn't exist
or
Starred | yes

Basically, this Saved Search blocks any of my templates or canceled tasks from being included, and allows tasks with Due Date or Start Date today or earlier (before tomorrow). Starred tasks allow me to override all the other criteria and put them on my Hotlist, which I occasionally need to do. So any task due or overdue automatically appears on my hotlist, as well as Next Actions, as long as they don't have a Start Date or Due Date that hasn't occurred yet.

This allows me to "funnel" down my list of tasks to a more manageable list to review each day to determine what to work on. This list usually contains more tasks than I can work on in a day, so I simple Star the ones I want to do and work from my Starred list. By the way, my Starred list is in my Saved Searches list, and simply emulates the Starred list available in the Main list of views, so I don't have to even leave the Saved Searches page to use it.

I hope this helps to elucidate the convenience and power of Saved Searches. I'd certainly be interested in seeing how others use them, and welcome comments on this one.

Salgud

• Salgud
Adrien is right, repeating tasks only show the next occurrence. The reasoning we have been given is that if they showed up at all occurrences going into the future, any long term view, like the Calendar, would get very cluttered and difficult to interpret. Makes sense to me, but, in other discussions on this topic, others have disagreed for the very reason you stated, Mike.

To compensate for this, When I plan my day, I keep in mind that I have "overhead" in my daily schedule, like tasks I do everyday that are just part of my routine. I also try to remember that I will most likely be interrupted at least a few times a day, if not more, and it is unrealistic to schedule more than 5 or 6 productive hours in a day. Since this is all so random and all my time estimates are pretty rough, I don't worry about scheduling down to the minute (or hour even), and have just learned to live with a fairly high degree of uncertainty in my daily schedule. Still, I understand that for those who are more OCD than me (I'm only somewhat OCD:), that this may be very difficult to accept.
Salgud

Posted Nov 18, 2015 in: selective alarms
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Score: 1
Posted by equiplist:

Un-related, but something else I was scratching my head about, is search. How do I go about searching for text that is in the notes, but not in the title?

Depends on which Notes you're talking about. If you're talking about the Note field with the tasks:

Open the search box, select Notes | contain | x

If you're talking about the separate (completely separate, except for using the same Folders) Notes, there is no search capability on content. In case you find that hard to believe, I'll repeat. TD's Notes have NO SEARCH capability. The only field of this type without a search capability that I can remember since the DOS days. I don't use them anymore. What's the point? The more you use them, the harder it gets to find a note later.

Salgud

Posted Nov 16, 2015 in: viewing by dates
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 16, 2015
Posted by Sabina A.:
Yes, the "started" view shows tasks that have a start-date of today or earlier. Unfortunately, they cannot be customized.

True, but a Saved Search with a Start Date | before | tomorrow, along with additional criteria can be created.
Salgud

Posted Nov 16, 2015 in: To do lists by day.
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 16, 2015
Go to your "My Tasks" list and sort by Due Date, making sure you have "in the future" turned on (eye open) in your filters.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next