Salgud

Posted Nov 16, 2015 in: Viewing various folders
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 16, 2015
  • Score: 0
Posted by Sabina A.:
Hello,

It's not possible to filter out folders, .

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, Sabrina. I have a number of Saved Searches with "Folder | is not | X". Is that not what you are referring to here?
Salgud

• Salgud
Posted by proactive:
Posted by Adrien Beau:
Posted by proactive:
all that needs to be added to ToodleDo is a simple field for Quadrant. What would that take in programming time? About 5 minutes? It's a database! Just add the field.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to "programming time". Adding new data in an application, with all consequences (compatibility, upgrade, API update, application updates, documentation updates, etc.) is very much more than "5 minutes".

Really?

How would there be any compatibly or upgrade or application update issues when we are all logging in through a browser to a database that has native number fields as part of its inherent design.

As for the documentation update, here it is: "Hi folks, we added a new number field so you can assign a number to your sorting criteria. We know that our bias is towards GTD but we thought we would try and accommodate some of the folks that lean towards First Things First and priority matrix for organizing their to do's. Just sort on this field like you sort on all the others. Thanks."

That might be true, though probably not, if you didn't want to integrate that field into the rest of TD, so you could, o, say, sort and filter using that field.

And, in point of fact, as Cristoph pointed out in the original post, why add what you already have? A priority field with 4 levels. For those who want another one, I suggest that is definitely adding way too much uneeded complexity.
Salgud

Posted Nov 16, 2015 in: viewing by dates
  • Salgud
Posted by Admirable:
When viewing by dates (using the left hand column), what does "started" mean? Can the choices in this column be customized? Viewing by dates is a great feature!

I'm guessing that it shows uncompleted tasks whose Start Dates are passed. Not sure what it does regarding the same tasks Due Date, if it has one, but it'd be easy to figure out by creating a couple of test tasks.
Salgud

Posted Nov 13, 2015 in: Tasks Redesign (part 4)
Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 13, 2015
  • Score: 1
I use both, and can handle this amount of "clutter" in the UI.
Salgud

Posted Nov 13, 2015 in: Todoist vs Toodledo -- Why I'm back.
  • Salgud
Posted by Adrien Beau:
Posted by Salgud:
it's unfortunate that the development of the task management aspect has stopped

Considering all the UI improvements that happened in the past few months (and which were a factor in getting me to migrate away from Todoist), I think it is very unfair (to say the least) to claim that the development has stopped. Improving the UI is important and was very much needed, and correctly prioritized.

Good point. I should have said that feature development has stopped. Thanks for pointing that out.
Salgud

Posted Nov 13, 2015 in: Todoist vs Toodledo -- Why I'm back.
  • Salgud
Posted by huwevans projecthelm.com:

I also use PI, and I have two smart filters set up to give me the counts for the completed measures.

Interesting you should mention PI. I've been looking for a personal task manager (I use TD only for work, I can't find a good way to keep personal and work truly separate in TD other than having 2 accounts.) I'd been using Reminders for a while, but my life has gotten more complicated and Reminders wasn't cutting the mustard anymore, so I gave Todoist a try for a few days, but it didn't have some features I wanted and seemed overpriced. I looked at Things again (I used it for a few years a few years ago, but remembered it has no alarms/reminders, something I have become very dependent on as I get older). Finally, I tried PI, and I have found mobile task management nirvana. It has more features than I need at present, a very similar feature set to TD, minus the fluff (Lists, Outlines & Habits), and a much better mobile interface than TDs iOS app. And only $10, one time! How can you beat that. It even has a feature I've wanted since I used PI on my Palm back in the oughts, the ability to link tasks and appointments to my Contacts list. Finally!

I agree that Todoist has a prettier interface than TD, but in terms of functionality, it can't compare. Looking at TDs current interface, I find it very nice and very practical, with all the information I need at a glance. And if I get tired of the clutter, in a couple of clicks and can switch to Multi-line, hide the task details, and have a nice clean, simple list. While I seldom do so, it's there if I want it. At this point, I think TD is the whole enchilada. I think it's unfortunate that the development of the task management aspect has stopped, but these thing happen in this business. TD has most of what I want at this time, and will suffice until I retire in a couple of years. I believe it's the best out there at present, even without further enhancements, and will remain so for a while. And it has some of the best, most open and honest support in the business. It's a hard combination to beat.
Salgud

Posted Nov 12, 2015 in: Progress Report - October 2015
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 12, 2015
If you just add the task without editing, just click on Add on the top right. If you edit, just go back to All Tasks, upper left. You don't have to switch to another list.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 11, 2015
Sounds like your mostly interested in desktop tools, of which I know nothing. But since your question did not specify, I'll chime in for the benefit of others to say that Pocket Informant is very much alive and well. I have been using the full featured 7-day trial for a couple of days now, and have been getting prompt, same-day replies to questions I've had. The site is also active and current. I'll add that I'm finding the app to be very similar in features to TD, though I'm not synching with TD (using it for my personal task manager) and finding the interface, though a bit cluttered, considerably more intuitive and user friendly than TDs iOS app. It even has some features I wish TD had, like a full-featured calendar, Notes section (with full search capabilities) and direct connection to my Contacts list. So far, I'm very impressed. It's also very reasonably priced at $10, one-time fee, which is considerably less than it's competitors at this level (high end).

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it at the end of the free trial, if not before, unless I find a glaring problem in the meantime. If I do find a problem, I'll post back here.
Salgud

Posted Nov 10, 2015 in: Habits Feature?
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 10, 2015
Posted by jpv2112-s:
Has anyone had success using the habits feature in TD?

I've tried it for a week as a way to remind myself to change in the directions that I want to go (without cluttering up the task list with daily repeats), but to me it's essentially a less convenient daily reminder list insofar as I'd have to click to another screen. Perhaps habit reminders would be better put the task area as a single task with either subtasks or reminders in the note of the task. I'm personally not inspired or motivated by a chain-link representation of the past successes/failures, and recognize that the point of goal planning is to change present and future behavior/results, not dwell on the past. Therefore, for me, a simple reminder list of daily habits is sufficient to keep my ever-changing personal development goals in focus.

Additionally, there are a few glaring omissions/errors which lead me to believe that the product is perhaps on it's way out? First, if you click on a star to log an item (maybe accidentally), there's no way to delete it and make it un-logged again (important, because the habits metrics focus on whether something was logged or not). Secondly, the graph for the number-logged habits extends off the bottom of my Windows Chrome screen (other habit measurement types don't do this).

Has anyone found the habits feature useful?

I have to caveat myself by saying I have used it very little .What little I did, I found it, as you have, rather kludgy and have heard others say the same as you, that there are better implementations out there. I wouldn't know about that, haven't looked.That said, it's been improved somewhat since I last tried it out, so I've decided this week to give it another try to see if it works for me now. Hopefully, it will motivate me...

As far as it going a way, I doubt that very much. It is continually being enhanced (you can review the monthly updates in the News forum), and much to my chagrin, is getting far more attention, along with Outlines and Lists, than the heart and soul of TD, the task management (You can see this in the updates too). Personally, I'd prefer it to go away, along with Lists and Outlines, but it's not going to happen, so I'm making the best of it.
Salgud

Posted Nov 10, 2015 in: Tasks Redesign (part 4)
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 10, 2015
Posted by dave.erwin:
Why do we even need a "Add Task" button?

When adding a task, I always type it into the Quick Add Task field. Then it appears at the top of my list then I edit each field how ever I need to. It seems like the "Add Task" button does the same thing, just in a slightly different order. I'm all for giving people flexibility, but if the goal is to streamline the UI, it puzzles me why there would be two buttons/fields that do essentially the same thing.

But maybe there's a good reason for the "Add Task" button that I'm not aware of. FYI, I usually view my tasks in the main All Tasks view, not in saved searches or folders or whatnot. Maybe that's when it starts to make a difference.

I'd appreciate if anyone could clarify why they think both the Add Task and Quick Add Task buttons are necessary.

Good question. I've asked that myself for years. I usually just add the task and all it's parameters right away. Still, I have found instances when I'm in the middle of something else, perhaps a phone call or just focusing on the task at hand, and another, usually unrelated task, pops into my head. I don't want to lose that thought (at my age, once lost, thoughts might never be found again! :), so I just do the quick add and minimize the distraction. So I do see a use for both. I imagine there are many who use them both, and many who use only one or the other. I don't think it adds that much clutter, but if you saw my place you'd see I have a high tolerance for clutter. :)
Salgud

Posted Nov 04, 2015 in: Tasks Redesign (part 4)
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 04, 2015
Now that I'm used to it, I like the pulldown better. The more I work with the new interface, the better I like it.
Salgud

Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 03, 2015
  • Score: 2
Gee, someday maybe (dreaming here :) we could get this kind of improvement for scheduling repeating tasks!
Salgud

• Salgud
Many of us who've been around a while depend very much on Saved Searches. I seldom go outside that one page. I've even recreated a few of the standard searches that are on other pages so I don't have to leave the Saved Searches page to access them. They are the real power of TD.
Salgud

• Salgud
Do a custom search, and include completed tasks.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Nov 02, 2015
I rarely make feature requests, but I'll agree with this one. Maybe even break some ground here and make the options that appear on the 3D Touch menu customizable so we can decide what they are based on how we use TD.
Salgud

Posted Oct 30, 2015 in: Ultra Wide Monitor
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 30, 2015
Posted by Ron Kuntz:
Purveyor

I use all the field options available in Toodledo. With the UW monitor I can see all the columns without having to slide the screen back and forth and only view a limited number of columns. This was a major productivity killer for me.

Just curious, how many hours a day do you think this saves you?
Salgud

Posted Oct 28, 2015 in: Tasks Redesign (part 4)
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 28, 2015
Looks and works great.
Salgud

Posted Oct 28, 2015 in: Clone Tasks?
  • Salgud
Posted by kkinney:
Anyone know how to clone tasks? I have several that are similar and feel it would be easier to create a bunch all at once and then change minor things. Can't seem to find a way to do that.

To the right of the star is a circle with a small down arrow in it. Hover over it and it says "Click for Actions". Click it, and you'll find, among others, "Clone this Task".
Salgud

Score: 2
  • Salgud
  • Score: 2
Posted by aleding:
Does that mean NO - the old format is not available?

No software vendor I know of continues to support older versions of their software for very long (except for MS who kept Win2000 forever because Vista was such a kludge). If TD kept the old version for the small percentage of users who still prefer it, they'd now have 2 versions to maintain and update as needed. Of course, when then come out with another update in a couple of years, there would be those who prefer this one to that new one, etc, etc, etc.As with any kind of change, there will always be a few who liked the old better. I guess it's your turn. :) There have been days in my life I wanted to last forever, but the sun set anyway.
Salgud

• Salgud
  • Posted: Oct 27, 2015
Posted by Jake:
Thanks for the suggestions. We plan to improve the date picker as part of our Tasks redesign.

That's good news for ALL of us!
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next