Search results for "Posted by PeterW "
PeterW 

Posted Mar 29, 2011 in: My Ideal System
Score: -1
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 29, 2011
  • Score: -1
Posted by ccoleman:
4. Finally, i also sometimes like to actually get things done. Here, my needs are pretty simple. I need to filter all tasks (including subtasks) by context or tag. It is crucial, though, that the filtered lists include and show subtasks (an area where toodledo plus todo falls down). When im doing, i just want the bare list of things to do, not have to hunt around in projects, etc. To find the tasks.

I'm using Toodledo + Todo and this part is working OK for me. Maybe I haven't understood what you need?
PeterW 

Score: 0
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 27, 2011
  • Score: 0
@chris - I've just posted a message on your forums.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 24, 2011 in: Projects, Subtasks and Due Dates
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 24, 2011
@Paul - using the 'flattened' option can work. I also thought it would be useless but not entirely so.

A key thing to note is that each view remembers the subtask setting, so for example I leave my Folder view set to have subtasks 'hidden' so I can review the projects (parent tasks) with ease. In my Hotlist, I have subtasks set to 'flattened' so that I see the individual due or starred subtask.

As a subtask is completed, I then promote the next project action (subtask) with either a due date or star. Nothing falls through the cracks and managing it on screen is easy.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 24, 2011 in: Projects, Subtasks and Due Dates
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 24, 2011
Yes, projects are not handled very well.

The key thing I've found that makes it work is to never put a due date on the parent task. Consider parent tasks simply as a 'container' for holding all subtasks. Subtasks can have due dates.

If you do it this way, subtasks will appear when you want them to and the parent will also display if you have the third subtask option selected. This seems to be the best way of doing things.

I use the second (i.e. recommended) subtask option so the parent is not displayed and I pre-pend an abbreviation of the parent name on all subtasks so I know what the subtasks belong to.

I'd prefer to see the parent name as a separate non-editable (i.e. display only) field that appears alongside all subtasks (e.g. in a smaller font so that it doesn't take up too much space). I've asked for this before.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 23, 2011 in: Projects, Subtasks and Due Dates
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 23, 2011
Try this setting:
http://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php?edit=19

--> Indented mode shows all subtasks nested, even if the parent shouldn't be visible.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 19, 2011
Thanks Chris.

Re: background color of tasks...
I probably wasn't clear, but there were two issues for me.

a. The background color of the parent tasks looks a bit darker than the background color of the subtasks. The latter seems whiter/brighter and therefore the subtasks stand out more than the parent. I'd prefer them to have the same background color.

b. I'm not a fan of seeing the underlying task window color (the dark gray) which is visible because of the way the subtasks are indented. I'd prefer the entire task window to be a single pale color with the tasks on top.

But these are just my opinions. Many others may disagree entirely with what I've said about the look/feel.

The custom views sound like a good idea.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 17, 2011
Chris,

I've configured Toodledo so that folders represent my GTD lists. They are named Next, Projects, Waiting for and Someday. Given that they also indicate status for the tasks within those folders, I don't need the status field and have turned it off.

The Hotlist (where I spend most of my time) is configured to show tasks that are due today or are starred. I follow GTD so I only put due dates on tasks when they are needed (i.e. I don't use 'soft' due dates) so I star tasks that I want to do ASAP.

So given the above, Due Today has the following problems for my implementation:
1. 'Today' doesn't include starred items. I need a unified Hotlist showing both.
2. Next, Someday and Waiting aren't needed (and are empty).
3. Folders (my GTD lists) are named Projects. For me, projects are parent tasks with subtasks. So this is confusing (it assumes that folders are used for projects).

Other general comments issues:

There seems to be no way to collapse subtasks under the parent task. This can make the main task window more difficult to use.

I don't like the main task window design. I guess it's meant to look a bit like 'Things'? It looks kinda messy to me especially when there are subtasks. Showing the background color doesn't look neat.

The background of subtasks is whiter so they stand out more than the parent task and there is no divider between subtasks.

I think I'd prefer a simpler main task window, maybe more like a regular database or spreadsheet list with faint dotted lines between tasks. Subtasks still need to be indented but I don't like seeing the background for indented subtasks.

I think I'd also prefer to see 'no date' on undated tasks so that the context and tag fields line up nicely.

The combination of seeing these staggered fields with the subtask offset on the left make the whole window a mess to look at (in my opinion).

Things I like:
a. You can hide the priority field and set a default to remove the purple color from the checkbox.

b. The 'This Week' view is really cool.

c. The general design of the left navi with the task counts.

I think you've made a great start. I guess for me the design needs to improve and it needs to be more flexible to handle the situation where the status field is not used, folders are not projects, etc.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 17, 2011
Posted by AJS:
I think there's plenty of interest in the desktop client, just there hasn't been a polished enough version delivered at this stage which will persuade enough people to pay for it.

Some of the UI's are not very user friendly and look amateurish at best.

Agreed. And these apps also make assumptions, e.g. navigation folders based on the status field. I don't use the status field so this imposes a design that doesn't match the way I've set Toodledo up to work for me.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 16, 2011 in: long-term projects
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 16, 2011
Maybe you need to look at a different solution such as My Life Organized or TaskMerlin. These programs seem more suited to project management where you can see hierarchy and progress.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 15, 2011 in: User interface
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 15, 2011
@Andreas_1300134587,

Here is a link to a forum thread (which contains links to earlier threads) that will give you some history on the
issue: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/4003/-21483/seriously-how-about-that-design.html

My understanding is that collaboration and locations are the main focus of development for 2011 so you might want to look into some of the third-party themes available.
http://userstyles.org/styles/browse/all/toodledo
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 15, 2011
Try switching your task display to 'multi-line' mode. You can find that option in your account settings (http://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php?edit=9).

This mode limits the display to the star field, the task name and the primary sort field. There is also an arrow icon to open the task into multi-line format which then displays all other fields that you have active.

I switched to this view last year and find it much less intimidating and noisy than the grid view. All I really need to know are the task name and due date & star so it's perfect. I am using a Stylish style that keeps the other fields all on one line when I expand the task (I can post screen shots if you're interested).

As for task creation, there are styles available that put this in a popup window although I've found the window appearing at the top works for me (and it's spread out in my style so is easy to use).
PeterW 

Posted Mar 14, 2011 in: Cumulative flow chart
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 14, 2011
I'd like a graph like that.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 12, 2011 in: Completed tasks report?
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 12, 2011
Heh heh... I've been a registered Snagit user since v2. Can't live without it. I guess I've had it long before anything like pixlr grabber was available.
PeterW 

Posted Mar 11, 2011 in: Completed tasks report?
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 11, 2011
If you need to insert info into an email and the PDF option isn't what you need, you could use a third-party screen capture tool like Snagit from Techsmith. This would allow you to quickly capture and insert what you need into an email. Snagit comes with a simple editor that pops up as soon as you capture a screen to allow you crop, resize, add borders etc, so it's quite useful.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 10, 2011
Hi MirkoKBurg - that's great to hear.
PeterW 

Score: -1
  • PeterW 
  • Score: -1
I'm using a very similar setup (although no iPad at present). Here's how I have mine setup:

Appigo Focus list:
Show Tasks:
No Due Date = OFF
Starred = ON
Subtasks = ON
Completed = None

Hide Tasks:
Due after = Today
Priority = Low

List Filter = None

Toodledo Hotlist:
A due date within the next 1 days
A star

(I have setup my own Hotlist in Toodledo on the Search view but it does the same thing.) This setup means that the Appigo Focus list shows the same as the Toodledo Hotlist.

I also star tasks to make them 'next actions' and thereby get them onto the Hotlist/Focus List but I don't do that if the task has a due date because that will also get it on the Hotlist.

I don't bother using the Starred list - for you it will be the same as your hotlist but for me it would exclude tasks with due dates so it doesn't do anything for me. Note that the hotlist can be auto-emailed every day.

I only use Main - All list when doing a weekly review. Aside from that I rarely look at it. I spend most of my time on the Search view (where I have Inbox, Hotlist, Waiting for, Someday and Next 7 Days) or the Folder view - Projects tab.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Posted by lists:
Nobody, eh?

There was only one forum member here who used it (that I was aware of) and he's no longer here.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 09, 2011
A couple of suggestions:

1. You should probably consider the parent task as a 'container' for your subtasks, meaning that the parent is not actually a task that you do and therefore doesn't actually need a due date.

2. Go into account settings here: http://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php?edit=19 and set the option 'Indented mode shows loose subtasks. (recommended)' or 'Indented mode shows all subtasks nested, even if the parent shouldn't be visible'.

Either of these options will ensure that your subtasks with due dates are visible even if the parent isn't or if the parent has no due date (which I recommend as per point #1).
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 09, 2011
I use Appigo Todo on my iPhone so not sure if it works similarly. It's not something I need to do but I see what you mean in the regular folders. However in the focus list, which is where I always work, subtasks are shown 'loose'.

You might want to post your question in the Appigo Google Group forums.
PeterW 

Score: 1
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Mar 08, 2011
  • Score: 1
I've found it best to make the folders represent your main GTD lists, e.g. Next, Projects, Waiting for, Someday. You could use Tags to represent your customers.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53      Next