ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Salgud"
Salgud

Posted Sep 29, 2015 in: Toodledo for Apple Watch
Score: 0
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 29, 2015
  • Score: 0
Good to see you back also, Purveyor. I've tried a few others in the last few years myself, but keep coming back. Guess I'll have to stick with TD until I retire (2 yrs) since it takes almost that long to get a new one, at this level, sorted out.

As to Reminders, I now use it for my personal task list. It does enough to cover me there. Every once in a while, I try another one, but haven't found anything better for my rather basic personal needs. And I like that it shows up in my Notifications, which is very handy. Could be better, I guess, but could be worse, as evidenced by the others I've tried, like Noti:Do. Same basic features as Reminders, but a far less intuitive interface. Admittedly, I'm not as picky as I used to be with Task Managers. Back in the day, I couldn't have built a doghouse without firing up MS Project. :)
Salgud

Posted Sep 29, 2015 in: Toodledo for Apple Watch
Score: -1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 29, 2015
  • Score: -1
Posted by geekbob:
Recently, IDC released data showing that Apple's (NASDAQ:AAPL) smartwatch will decrease in market share between now and 2019. This year, Apple will command about 58.3% of the smart-wristwear market, with about 13.9 million shipments, according to IDC. But by 2019, that percentage will drop to about 47.4% as the rise of Android-based wearables begins to take off.

"Will decrease" is rather strong language, don't you think? Maybe it should read, "might decrease", based on our predictions.

I wouldn't call the Android wearables a small portion of the market. I was originally going to buy an Apple watch but had to make an economical change to Android wear due to a job loss. I am very happy with my androidwear device -moto 360- but I'm disappointed that there is no option to add a task from my watch.

Ok, so that's one more than before. Not exactly a big hit to Apple, statistically speaking.

People have been predicting falling market share and the demise of Apple for as long as I can remember (I was around when the first Apple computers came out), and today it is the richest company on earth. Predicting their imminent failure puts IDC in the same class as those predicting the end of the world; people who have a 100% failure rate in their predictions.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2015.
Salgud

Score: 1
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 28, 2015
  • Score: 1
Went into TD a few minutes ago, and all my tasks were checked done, but not crossed out as they are supposed to be. I couldn't uncheck them either. I closed TD and signed back in, and it was back to normal. Has anyone else seen this behavior?
Salgud

Posted Sep 28, 2015 in: Global Search
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 28, 2015
This is a long and often requested feature, it's on "the list".
Salgud

Posted Sep 24, 2015 in: How to Track Larger Tasks
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 24, 2015
Posted by e20.09g:
You can figure out how to use MS Project on your own in two weeks, using available online help. It will require spending at least a couple hours a day going through the help menu and trying things out. I've been somewhat proficient with MSP after a 3-day class. However, it's one of these skills you tend to lose if not used often. And I've never found a good way to use my MSP files on iPad or an Android device. Also, it's not free or cheap.

Honestly, unless you really need it due to the sheer complexity of your work, it's like using a nuke to get rid of a tree stump.

Having taught and consulted on MSP for many years, I'd say you could glean a very basic understanding of MSP in 2 weeks. My experience is that it would take at least a year to get proficient with it, if you're using it to it's full potential (CPM scheduling, managing resources, tracking costs, etc.) I've met, and taught, people who've been using it for years and have no conception of how it works of how to use it properly. Most people use it to generate a Gantt Chart, and no more.

I agree that it's overkill unless you have a decent sized project with multiple resources and simultaneous work efforts. It's well worth it if you use it to it's full potential.
Salgud

Posted Sep 23, 2015 in: Calendar Schedule View
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 23, 2015
Posted by coolexplorer:
Most Productivity articles nowadays suggest that if tasks are not scheduled in time slots in a calendar they hardly ever get done. This is because not only should you have the intention of doing a task but you should have the time and single task focus to do it, or to re-schedule it if it is not possible on a particular day or week.

This is interesting because my experience over the years has been that putting in "artificial" due dates in order to get things done has been that I end up spending more time updating those artificial due dates and it becomes a major hassle. I've even found myself avoiding my task management tool (this started long before TD came along with many other task managers) entirely because I didn't want to update all the tasks I hadn't gotten done "on schedule", even though the dates were just made up. I guess everyone is different.

That said, I agree that the calendar view is useless as is (even commented about this when it was revised a few years back. Before the revision, it was better than it was after.), and can definitely be improved.
Salgud

Posted Sep 21, 2015 in: Tag Folder
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 21, 2015
I'm confused. Why not use the Search to find the appropriate folder, rather than the Tag? Would save a lot of work.
Salgud

• Salgud
In your Settings page, Display Preferences, Sort Tags alphabetically.
Salgud

Posted Sep 21, 2015 in: Hide Task Notes by default
  • Salgud
Not sure of what you're asking, but if you want to hide or show all notes, you can click on the Notes icon, just to the right of the Sort options.
Salgud

Posted Sep 17, 2015 in: How to Track Larger Tasks
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 17, 2015
Posted by jpv2112-s:
Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like there's no method without having to "manually" create and reload extra lists in various views and constantly look for the "gotchas" out there, such as tasks that should be started earlier than the single metric due date would normally indicate.

That's why there is a Start Date field.
Salgud

Posted Sep 17, 2015 in: New Icons
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 17, 2015
I figured it out, my subscription expired while I was away. Of course, I thought I'd get a warning from TD, but didn't for some reason.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2015.
Salgud

Posted Sep 16, 2015 in: New Icons
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 16, 2015
This all seems ok, but there is no longer an option to create subtasks, and no way to view them. I looked all over and searched the News forum for some notice of a change, tut didn't find anything. Is this going to be added soon I hope?

This message was edited Sep 16, 2015.
Salgud

Posted Sep 16, 2015 in: Salesmen?
  • Salgud
Of course, you can do what ever you like, but this is the software I used to track my consulting/training business for years. Totally customizable, way beyond what TD can do, and very reasonably priced.

http://www.commence.com/

For example, I had it set up to that any appointment that generated income (marked by entering the expected income into a custom Income (currency) field), would automatically trigger a reminder on the day following that appointment's due date to invoice the customer. I had a Word template set up that automatically created the invoice from the info in Commence. Once I marked the appointment invoiced, if I didn't mark it paid within 30 days, I got daily reminders to follow up until it was paid. It also automatically tracked all my prospects as they progressed down the sales pipeline, among other things. All this without any actual programming, using what they call Agents. Very easy to use.

Just a suggestion. Best of luck whatever you decide.
Salgud

• Salgud
For me it's the same as it was a few months ago.
Salgud

Posted Sep 16, 2015 in: Introducing the Breadcrumb Bar (part 1)
  • Salgud
Posted by dannyw0011:

And welcome back, Salgud. You had been gone for so long, I thought you must had departed for the great beyond!

Thanks, Danny, it's good to be back.
Salgud

Posted Sep 15, 2015 in: Turning Importance Field On
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Sep 15, 2015
Posted by gary_1419348015:
I am trying to turn the Importance field on and for some reason I can't find it. When I go to settings and look at the field list, it's not there anymore. Am I missing something?

I don't think you can "see" Importance in a column. You can only use it in your Sort order. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Salgud

Posted Sep 15, 2015 in: Custom Field
  • Salgud
Or you can use the Contexts field, if you prefer.
Salgud

Posted Sep 15, 2015 in: Introducing the Ribbon
  • Salgud
Thumbs up for the ribbon, keep up the good work.
Salgud

Posted Sep 15, 2015 in: Introducing the Breadcrumb Bar (part 1)
  • Salgud
I've been away for a while, and just visited TD for the first time in a couple of months. Wow, have things changed! Looks much better for sure. However,I'm not a fan of the breadcrumb bar. It's functionality is already covered by the dark blue bar on the left edge of the screen, as far as I can tell. I don't use collaboration so maybe that's why it's a miss for me, and I spend virtually all my time in the Saved Searches view, and prefer to have the view list exposed. At the very least, please make the breadcrumbs bar optional.

Thanks for all your efforts, Bridget.
Salgud

Score: 3
  • Salgud
  • Posted: Jun 12, 2015
  • Score: 3
For years in these forums, the question has been asked, "How to select dissimilar tasks to multi-edit?" Dissimilar tasks being ones that don't have a unique common attribute that you can use to filter them. There have been many workarounds suggested, like using Star if you're not already using it, and others. But if you're using most of the common ones, you're up the famous fecal tributary, sans propulsion mechanism.

This is not as simple as I'd like it to be, but does work. Select a field you don't use at all (almost all of us have at least one). I use Length. Mark each task you want to edit with "1h" (fairly quick), then filter on that attribute and multi-edit, and make sure to include removing the Length when you do.

You can either keep this field open all the time for when you need it, or turn it on and off as needed.

Definitely a bit of a kludge, but better than the other alternatives I've seen. If you have a better one, I'd love to hear it.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81      Next