ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by PeterW "
PeterW 

Posted Jan 11, 2011 in: TD workflow: priority vs. due date
Score: 0
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 11, 2011
  • Score: 0
@Salgud - I'm not a fireman. But I do work in a small business which historically has not been good at 'process' but almost exclusively focused on outcomes. And I have a wide range of responsibilities in finance and administration.

So priorities can and do change quickly. I frequently have to stop working on something because an urgent issue arises. This often happens because someone else in the company has not planned ahead. Sometimes it's because we've agreed to do something urgent for a customer (who perhaps hasn't planned ahead either).

But aside from my specific situation, David Allen covers this in his book - many people work in environments where tasks are constantly coming at them and priorities change during the day. Which is why he advises against priority labels.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 11, 2011 in: TD workflow: priority vs. due date
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 11, 2011
@garyo - I follow the GTD method so I agree with your plan to stop using 'soft' due dates. As you've found, they just create additional work and in my experience can contribute to feelings of not being very productive.

I also follow the GTD practice of not assigning a “priority” to tasks. The main reason is that priorities change too quickly. What seems like a high priority task now may be much less so in an hour when I've taken on a bunch of other tasks or some other known task suddenly becomes more important to tackle.

In most fluid work environments where changes keep popping up, priority labels are generally too subjective as they pertain only to that point in time. So I find it best to avoid spending time changing the priority field again to suit the changed circumstances.

I have to confess that I've not turned the priority field off yet - my Stylish theme provides a reverse colour highlight when priority is set to medium, high or top so I use this occasionally and very sparingly just to remind myself of something.

As for status, my folders provide status so I don't use this field. The fewer fields to maintain the better.

Use of the star field to denote tasks you want to do today is a good idea.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 10, 2011
Posted by grantt:
How do I submit a proper bug report, rather than a forum posting?

Here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/ticket.php
PeterW 

• PeterW 
It really does sound like these are repeating tasks (as soon as you complete a repeating task it generates the next instance) and that you are displaying recently completed tasks (in which case the filter link would show "Hide Recently Completed").

If that's not the case then you should create a support ticket so that Toodledo can look at your account.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 10, 2011 in: Your current number of tasks
  • PeterW 
@grantt - are you talking about total tasks, both complete and incomplete or only incomplete? My task list hovers around 100-120 incomplete tasks. I have 1,150 completed tasks (since Oct 2009).

@Salgud - LOL! ;)
PeterW 

Posted Jan 10, 2011 in: Online Calendar
  • PeterW 
Posted by tamar.england:
I'm not 100% satisfied with Google Calendar. What online calendar do any of you use and recommend? I need it to sync between my iPod Touch and the PC. Thanks!

Have you looked at MobileMe from Apple? It provides you with any number of calendars in the cloud which sync with the iPhone and with PC's and Macs. There is a yearly subscription though so it's not free. But it's reliable.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 09, 2011
If you check the original post, @jilapeno was aware that he/she could hide completed tasks. I'm not sure if they were talking about the iPhone app or the web app but the problem does exist on the web app and that's was what I was referring to when I posted.

I have Toodledo set to hide completed tasks but I do use the 'recently completed' tab and also a custom search tab named 'completed today' so that I can review progress. It's just plain wrong that completed tasks show as overdue. It's a bug.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 08, 2011 in: due dates
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 08, 2011
I'll sometimes use start dates as reminders for when I need to begin working on something. Occasionally I will set a due date as a milestone but then treat it as a hard due date to avoid having to roll it forward. As soon as you get into the habit of setting due dates and not meeting them, the system begins to crumble.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Unfortunately it's always been like this. I'd like it changed too.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Unfortunately no. I wish there was a way.

I also find the conversion from HTML to text not very good - carriage-return/line-feeds at the end of sentences/paragraphs get doubled up by Toodledo which makes it less easy to read.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 08, 2011 in: Subject line being lost?
  • PeterW 
Certain characters in the subject line of emails are used to set defaults for the resulting task. The hyphen is one of those characters.

More info here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/help_email.php

And others have asked for this to be an optional setting:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/9070/0/turn-off-processing-special-characters-in-e-mail-syntax.html
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 07, 2011
@Pat - I'd like this too. I also prefer new tasks to land in my inbox and I've had task names truncated frequently.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 07, 2011 in: The Peter Question: Folders vs Status
Score: 1
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 07, 2011
  • Score: 1
Hi Cappuccino Kid,

Firstly, I too use Appigo ToDo on my iPhone. How do you deal with a task within a project (subtask) that should be moved to folder "Waiting For" as ToDo does not deal with this.

Yes, this is a minor problem when using Appigo Todo. I simply pre-pend the task name with the person's initials that I am waiting on (as I do with standalone 'waiting for' tasks) and I may also put a star or due date on the task if it's appropriate to get it onto my Hotlist. If it's not too urgent then I know that I will see the task during my weekly review and can follow up.

Secondly, what criteria do you use for your "Next 7 days" report?

Match any of the following criteria:
Checked off = no
AND Due Date is before today
AND Due Date is not blank
OR
Checked off = no
AND Due Date is in the next 7 days
OR
Checked off = no
AND Star = yes

This gives me tasks due in the next 7 days, tasks that are overdue, and tasks with stars.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 06, 2011
PeterW 

Posted Jan 06, 2011 in: Collaborators just as "Names"
  • PeterW 
Sounds like a good idea.

My workaround for any 'waiting for' tasks is to prepend the person's initials on the task name. For example:
SL: Get approval for new proposal. These tasks are stored in my 'waiting for' folder. Simple but works well.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 06, 2011 in: The Peter Question: Folders vs Status
  • PeterW 
@piyush - I do have some tasks in Someday that have been there for a long while although they are usually the personal ones, e.g. ideas that pop into my head that I think would be good to do sometime.

I found that switching from areas-of-focus type folders to GTD-type folders an amazing transition in my daily work flow. Everything in my task list needs to be done, and I can switch between areas in my brain without any problem, so having these folders in Toodledo just didn't work for me. BTW, I highly recommend reading the GTD book.

@Bill - the lack of a start date in Appigo Todo hasn't been an issue for me at all, and the data is not compromised when syncing if you use this field. For the recurring tasks where I've set a start date in Toodledo, it is to ensure the task remains hidden until I want to see it and it's usually the same date as the due date or maybe just one day before. I've set Appigo Todo's Focus List setting 'Hide Tasks' to 'due after tomorrow' and that does the trick for me. If I create a task on Appigo Todo that needs a start date, then I just enter it when I'm next working on Toodledo.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
@Derek,

First up regarding your comment about displaying folders vertically in Toodledo. The good news is that it can be done using some of the free themes developed by users. The simplest way is to install the Stylish add-in (also free) for either FireFox or Chrome.

Here is a page with links to Sylish for FireFox and Chrome:
http://userstyles.org/stylish

Here is a link to the various themes available for Toodledo:
http://userstyles.org/styles/browse/toodledo.com

Some of the themes employing vertical tabs are:
* Toodledo - MacOSX
* Toodledo Focus
* Toodledoish - Plus 2 w/Right Side Tabs
* Toodledo Things Style++ With Right Side Tabs
* Toodledo Me Too

I have a couple of ideas on your question about using Toodledo for GTD without employing subtasks in order to use PI.

1. You may find that PI treats Toodledo's subtasks the same as regular tasks, i.e. it might just display them as regular tasks and may not even break the parent/subtask relationship within Toodledo. It's worth testing this out.

2. You could use Toodledo's tags if they're supported in PI to maintain a relationship between project tasks. If #1 works then this would only be needed in PI but if it doesn't, then it should work in both apps.

I'd be interested in hearing how PI performs. I used the WinMo version years ago and found it a bit buggy and also quite complicated.

One other comment... I used to want a combined calendar/task view for my GTD system but have found over time that it wasn't necessary. While a number of my tasks are time-critical, many are not. And I think I'd find that filling up my calendar (where I store hard-deadline stuff like meetings, etc) with tasks would probably just add to my stress level.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 05, 2011 in: The Peter Question: Folders vs Status
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 05, 2011
Posted by piyush_soni:
I had this question occur in my mind before as well, but forgot. Your Someday list also must be fairly big. Is a single folder enough to manage them all? For example, you might have someday tasks in Office, Home, Shopping, 'Development/Study/Tour' etc.? How do you categorize them? Don't you use Contexts at all?

@piyush_soni - my Someday list is a single folder and at present only has 19 tasks in it. It doesn't get much bigger than this. During weekly reviews I occasionally move some tasks from Next into Someday if they've become less important and vice versa if they become important to do.

I do use contexts and tags. My setup is:
Contexts: Work, Home, Online, Phone, Errands
Tags: Business, Personal

I rarely filter my list while at the office but I do filter out (i.e. exclude) 'business' tasks during the weekend. On weekends I tend to work on my iPhone using Appigo Todo.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 05, 2011 in: The Peter Question: Folders vs Status
  • PeterW 
Posted by greg:
thanks PW. If you have a task that was important but not time critical, you would not able to get to it for several days or more, would that go in your next or someday?

I was really struggling with my work process... it was overwhelming to see all the tasks I created when I emptied my brain into toodledo.

I was struggling with next action and active...... what is the difference .... is a next action just an upgraded active?

folders/status..... who knows which one to use...

@greg - If a task can be done and should be done, even if it is not time-critical, then it goes into my Next list. Someday is only used for "nice to do" tasks, e.g. ideas I've had about something for when I can spare some time.

My next list hovers around 100-120 tasks, so it would be overwhelming to work with this. Which is why I use a 'Hotlist' - a short list of usually 5-10 tasks that are either due (due date = today or tomorrow) or that are 'starred'. During a weekly review, other tasks on the Next list will be moved into the hotlist via the star or due date fields. This helps me remain focused and not feel overwhelmed.

Posted by greg:
PeterW: is AX2009 an arbitrary number or is that a model number of the task? I will have to try out the + and - signs.

AX2009 is just part of that project name. It is one of Microsoft's ERP systems (its largest) that we use at my place of work. It was formerly named Axapta. We're in the process of upgrading from Axapta 3.0 to AX2009 (version 5.0) which is a large project for me encompassing two offices (one in Australia, the other in the USA), two finance teams, a Microsoft Business Partner and a contract developer. We hope to go live later this month, following which we will begin a round of system enhancements.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 05, 2011 in: [UserStyles] Toodledo - MacOSX v1.0
  • PeterW 
Yes, I see the same thing.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53      Next