PeterW 

Score: 0
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 04, 2011
  • Score: 0
@earnjam:

Here is a screenshot:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pjmm1960/Toodledoish.png

Note also the 'View by' active view colour.

This message was edited Jan 04, 2011.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 04, 2011 in: The Peter Question: Folders vs Status
Score: 3
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 04, 2011
  • Score: 3
@christophe.ledoux - your English is very clear!

Projects
Each project is a parent task and each project action is a subtask. Parent task names are preceded by a + sign and subtask names are preceded by a - sign so that each is easily identified on screen. I also add an abbreviation of the parent task name in the subtask name, e.g.:

Parent task:
+AX2009 Enhancements after upgrade

Subtasks:
- AX2009 enh: review inventory costing methods
- AX2009 enh: extend project name field
- AX2009 enh: review BI add-ins

This abbreviation makes it easy for me to see what project the subtask belongs to. You can click on the subtask icon to display the parent but I'd rather just see it displayed so it's visible at a glance. I've requested that Toodledo consider adding the parent task name alongside subtask names (e.g. in a smaller font or a different colour font) as other solutions do. In the interim, this is my workaround and it's quite functional.

Subtasks are added as needed (sometimes all at the start of the project if known) and they are manually sorted. Due dates are only assigned if it's a true hard deadline. The star field is used to denote a project's next action.

All of my Toodledo views except for the 'Folder' view are set to display subtasks 'flattened'. The reason is so that individual subtasks will always appear if they are due/overdue or starred. Until recently, if subtasks were set to 'Hidden' they would not display in lists if the parent didn't also meet the view's criteria This didn't happen if subtasks were set to indented or hidden although a new options provided recently helped solve this. In the Folder view, subtasks are set to 'Indented' so I can view projects with all subtasks in their manual order.

Projects are always kept in the projects folder for two reasons: (1) it's easier to manage and (2) it works better with Appigo Todo (see more on this below).

Next Actions
I work out of my own customised Hotlist in the Search view. It is configured to display tasks with the following search criteria:
-checked off = no
-due date = today or tomorrow or before today and not blank
-start date = today
-star = yes

As per standard GTD practice, I do not set due dates unless they really are due to avoid having to roll tasks forward when not done.

The only filters I use are to hide future tasks and not display completed tasks. I have another custom view set to show 'tasks completed today' so I can review what I've done.

I work mainly out of the Search view, which has the following tabs:
Inbox - Hotlist - Waiting for - Someday - Next 7 Days - Completed Today.

Appigo Todo
Using the above setup, Appigo Todo just works - you will see the same folders on the home screen, and you can configure the 'Focus' list to show the same tasks that appear in your Toodledo 'Hotlist'. The Appigo Inbox is the same as 'No Folder' in Toodledo, and I've created my own 'Inbox' in Toodledo on the search tab so they're named the same.

Appigo handles projects nicely. You can't set the folder for a subtask in Appigo so all subtasks inherit the parent's folder. This is one reason why they should be the same in Toodledo, and if you don't do this, once you've synced Appigo it will automatically set them back.

Hope this helps. Let me know if something is not clear.

This message was edited Jan 04, 2011.
PeterW 

Posted Jan 02, 2011 in: The Peter Question: Folders vs Status
Score: 2
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Jan 02, 2011
  • Score: 2
OK, here is my response...

Toodledo provides a lot of fields and features, and the temptation is to use them all. I started out using most of the available fields but it resulted in a complex task management system that required a lot of effort to maintain. It often seemed a chore to keep Toodledo up-to-date with where I was at in my daily workflow.

So I re-evaluated each field, asking myself what return I got from using it. Unless I could see a direct benefit from a field - i.e. it actually helped me rather than slowed me down - it was turned off.

The status field seemed like a good idea at the time, but I found having to manually update it an annoyance and an overhead that just wasn't needed. For example, I felt the need to change status to 'active' when I'd begun working on a task but I knew that anyway so it felt like I was simply keeping the database of tasks in sync with where I was at although after the fact. It just seemed artificial.

I was using folders to divide my tasks into areas of focus/responsibility. This also complicated things. I had folders such as Accounting, HR, Administration, OH&S etc for my work-related tasks.

This seemed sensible but in reality was just a filing system. It didn't actually enhance my workflow but rather was just another artificial barrier. In my day-to-day work I often jump from one 'area' to another - e.g. I'll work on an HR issue followed by an accounting task followed by an admin task.

Having tasks in different folders based on these areas of focus just slowed me down. The area to which each task belonged was not important nor did it determine what needed to be done next.

What I needed was an easy-to-use tool that supported me in getting things done. If the tool did not make thigs easier or slowed me down, it would probably result in the entire system becoming a chore that I would most like ultimately abandon (as had already happened with other solutions).

So I decided to restructure my system and to embrace a 'keep it as simple as possible' philosophy.

And being a follower of GTD, using folders to organise my task lists seemed the most sensible approach. Other Toodledo users who were also GTD practitioners had setup their systems in this manner. Each folder denotes the task's status.

My folders are:
- Next
- Projects
- Waiting for
- Someday

Next contains my 'next actions', i.e. single-step, standalone tasks. Everything is this folder can be done as soon as time and energy permits. Tasks that have a hard deadline will be assiged a due date. Recurring tasks (I have weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual tasks) are in this folder also and they usually have a start date assigned so that I don't see them until I need to.

Projects contains multi-step tasks. Each parent task is the project itself, and each parent task has subtasks that are the project next actions. Parent tasks and subtasks will have due dates only if a hard deadline exists.

Waiting for contains actions that are waiting on someone else to do something or respond before I can complete the task.

Someday contains actions that at some point I thought would be nice to do but not mandatory nor time critical.

A few other benefits of using folders this way:
1. The 'No folder' becomes your Inbox which is an important part of GTD practice. This works really well with the email feature in Toodledo.
2. Appigo Todo - my preferred iPhone task manager - displays fodlers on its home screen which is perfect with this setup.

Let me know if you need anything expanded upon. I haven't gone into other details, e.g. how I determine day-to-day todo lists, how I handle projects, etc.

This message was edited Jan 02, 2011.
PeterW 

Posted Dec 31, 2010 in: The Peter Question: Folders vs Status
Score: -1
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Dec 31, 2010
  • Score: -1
There are a few Peters on the forum but I am guessing this question is for me?

I will get started on a response today.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Could be a resolution issue. Are you able to scroll the entire screen - i.e. is there a scrollbar on the right hand side? This can happen if the laptop has been plugged into a projector or larger resolution screen.
PeterW 

Posted Dec 31, 2010 in: Goals Feature
  • PeterW 
have you thought of using the Notebook in Toodledo?
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Dec 28, 2010
Yep, same in Chrome. Also, when there are just a few tasks, the left-hand-side TOC steps out into the task area (which I think was a problem with the original script).
PeterW 

Posted Dec 28, 2010 in: [UserStyles] Toodledo - MacOSX v1.0
  • PeterW 
@earnjam - thanks! Will give it a try now.

@Pyush - my apologies. I should be wearing my glasses more often!
PeterW 

Posted Dec 28, 2010 in: How to customize multi-line view (bug?)
  • PeterW 
Yes, I agree completely.

Unfortunately all we can do is wait and issues like this just don't seem very important to Toodledo.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Thanks @pyushi_soni - you've solved it. I was always trying this on a tab that had many tasks. When I scrolled all the way to the bottom of the task list, the filter window was there!

Curiously, when I have a tab with just a few tasks, the window appears almost at the top. I guess I was expecting to see the window attached to the menu, not floating. It seems to appear somewhere near the last task in the active list. Which is OK is the list is within the screen size but not good if you have a long list that requires scrolling.

I'm doing this on a laptop with a 13.3" screen running 1280x800 resolution, and the OS is Win Vista. Making the browser full screen or just a window doesn't make any difference to the behaviour.
PeterW 

Posted Dec 28, 2010 in: How to customize multi-line view (bug?)
Score: 1
  • PeterW 
  • Score: 1
Unfortunately what you ask for can't be done. It's been requested many times before, e.g. http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/6431/0/sorting-tasks.html

Maybe one day, but don't hold your breath!
PeterW 

Posted Dec 28, 2010 in: GLOBAL EDITING Capability ?
  • PeterW 
Yes - go to the Search view and create a new search to find the records you wish to update. Once the records are on screen, you will see an option named Multi-edit. This enables you to update all those records in any way you wish.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
Just tried something else...

With MacOSX theme turned on in FF, I then also activated another theme (my Simple Gray Theme). The tag and context filter then appeared OK (albeit in the floating window style that my theme uses). As soon as I deactivate my theme, the window disappears.
PeterW 

• PeterW 
@pyuishi-soni,

I'm using:
Chrome 8.0.552.224
FireFox 3.6.13

The only add-in in both browsers is Stylish.

The FireFox error console has nothing in it. I only see warnings (which I assume relate to Chrome-specific stuff that it is ignoring).

The other options on the Filter menu work just fine, so I am not sure why those two would not be working.
PeterW 

Posted Dec 27, 2010 in: [UserStyles] Toodledo - MacOSX v1.0
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Dec 27, 2010
Yes, I'm definitely clicking. Weird that it doesn't work for me. I've just checked again and could not get either option to work. I then unintstalled and reinstalled the script in Chrome but still no go. Strange!
PeterW 

Posted Dec 26, 2010 in: [UserStyles] Toodledo - MacOSX v1.0
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Dec 26, 2010
Thanks @earnjam.

The Context and Tag options on the new filter menu isn't working for me. I tried both FireFox and Chrome but it's the same on both. The other options on the popup menu work ok.
PeterW 

Posted Dec 23, 2010 in: External Collaboration
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Dec 23, 2010
Manual solution: create a few saved searches. For example:

What you've been working on
checked off = yes
folder = work
completed date = is in the last N days

What you're working on now/blocked on
checked off = no
due date = before today
due date = today
star = yes
status = active/waiting
etc

You could simply print each tab to PDF whenever you want and email it to the boss.

It's manual, but you get to decide what's on it!
PeterW 

• PeterW 
  • Posted: Dec 22, 2010
Posted by mnchrisgilson:
I am using the Getting Things Done method for organizing my tasks. In the description on this site it suggests using folders to house projects.

I'm also someone who follows the GTD method but I don't use folders for projects in Toodledo. I use a single folder named 'Projects' and create parent tasks for each project. Each parent task has multiple subtasks, each representing the various tasks (actions). I find this works better for me and keeps the number of folders to a minimum.
PeterW 

Posted Dec 21, 2010 in: Task counts on Search tabs
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Dec 21, 2010
Thanks piyush_soni.
PeterW 

Posted Dec 19, 2010 in: Task counts on Search tabs
  • PeterW 
  • Posted: Dec 19, 2010
Thanks piyush_soni! Works great.

This script has been key to keeping me using Toodledo. In the Search view I can work from my custom Hotlist while seeing the number of tasks completed today and how many tasks are in my inbox waiting to be processed. It probably seems a small thing to many but for me, it helps me to focus and keep track of what I've done.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53      Next