ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Ummagumma"
Ummagumma

Score: 2
coolexplorer,

I tried to combine project planning (including goal setting and tracking) with action list - and I don't think this approach works.

To me, it's the best to keep them separated.

Planning is best done in a free-form, unrestricted format that follows the way your mind flows and allows "what if" branching. I really like mind mapping software for this kind of work, as it can be both structured and free-form. I use XMind (free version) on the desktop, and iThoughts on my iPad.

The individual, specific, actionable items from these plans go into a single master task list - that's what I use Toodledo for.

The projects are getting reviewed periodically, the task list is being reviewed at least three times a week, likely daily.

As I review the action list I assign "soft" timing (no real deadline) or "hard" timing (real deadline) to tasks based on when I need to finish them to get to my goal. I don't need priorities as long as I have this timing.

The plans themselves also don't need priority - I kind of know that getting my kids prepared for college is more important than fixing my deck, and each plan has it's own specific actions with their own specific timing.

Can an action be stuck in @ Future limbo forever ? Sure. This means that it's either not really that important, or that the context must, at some point, be switched to @ This month and then @ This week. Assigning a priority won't make you work on it any sooner.

Can priorities be used instead of contexts ? Sure, they will achieve the same thing. I just find the contexts to be far more descriptive and intuitive.

I only use priority when at the end of the day, having reviewed my action list, I have 3-4 starred tasks that I set for tomorrow and one of them needs to be done the first thing in the morning. I then assign the Top priority to it to make it stand out. But this doesn't happen often.
Ummagumma

Score: 3
I tried to stick to FC method in the past and found it to be too much work. I am not trying to belittle the system, but I honestly think it's overly complicated for most people.

Ideally I want a system that lets me manage my workload with minimum amount of maintenance on my part. This means every tasks has minimum amount of attributes I have to set, and these attributes need to be fast & easy to apply.

Really, there's only two types of tasks. Those that have a real deadline - that is, they must be done by particular date. And those that don't have a deadline, i.e. are optional or can be postponed. And the start date is a function of deadline, driven by the number of days you need to complete the task.

As far as task management goes - and that's what all these systems are really about - the importance of a task is defined by the effort you must spend on it, and the timing of that effort. And I stress the "must" part. If you absolutely must spend half a day this week on something, it takes precedence over something you can safely postpone until next week, regardless of the perceived relative importance. It doesn't matter if your CEO told you that the company will fold unless your presentation is ready next Friday, as long as you can safely start working on it next Tuesday, it is the next week task.

The dates define whether the task is important or not. If a task must be done this week, it must be done, regardless of whether you believe it's important or not. If it can be postponed with no negative results than it can be postponed, again irrelevant of how "important" it is. I really don't see the need for using priorities. If the task is "urgent but not important" to me it means it's either not really urgent (i.e. you don't really have to do it this week) or it's more important than you think.

So, I use contexts - @1 This week, @2 Next week, @3 This month, @4 Future and @5 Someday. I only assign due dates when they are real deadlines, and I only assign start dates when I must start xx days ahead of the deadline. So only a third of tasks has any dates, all the rest are organized by context. All tasks get context assigned based on when I need to be working on them. Unlike dates, the contexts can be set or changed extremely quickly even on the phone. Some recurring tasks with a deadline don't get a context, e.g. "File monthly expenses" doesn't really need it.

The top 3-4 tasks that I will be working on next get a star. As a matter of principle I never have more than 4 stars, as I can't be focusing on more than 4 tasks at any given time, it is simply not productive.

I review the complete task list at least a couple times a week, usually every other day. Otherwise, I am working with saved searches.

The "Focus" search shows tasks that are (1) starred, or (2) context @1 Today, or (3) have today start date, or (4) due date today or tomorrow. Grouped by @Context, sorted by date.

The "Week ahead" is the same but also includes context @2 This week and tasks with due date in the next 3 days. This is the view I use the most, switching to Focus if things get really intense and I don't want to be distracted.

So, for the majority of tasks, all I have to do is set or change @Contest. Minimal list management.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2015.
Ummagumma

Score: 0
"Do you find that the mind-mapping method is much better than using a word-processor outline? I could see it being more visual, but at the same time not allowing much in the way of text notes."

XMind allows text notes in each node with basic formatting (bold / italic / strikethrough / underline), hyperlinks, or inserted pictures. It also allows inserting pictures and files (e.g. PDFs, excel sheets etc) either directly into the map (embedded), or as a link to that file. iThoughts supports all of this and works directly with XMind format so whatever I embed into Xmind file I can open on the iPad. The Android program that I use (Mindjet) doesn't work with attachments but I can still read the notes. Finally, there's a basic outline mode in Xmind if you like that kind of presentation.

I would rate both mind mapping with XMind and the OneNote format as being superior to Word outline (which is what I tried to use in the past). Especially when it comes to adding attachments or file links. Also I didn't find any programs with good support for Word outlines or embedded objects on iOS or Android. The Word outline is really just a very basic tool for document creation.

"Also, if you have many tasks in TD from different projects/goals, do you preface the subject line with the task to help identify what project they belong to? I've been using the TD "goal" field for identifying the tasks' projects, but tags sounds like a good option too. The advantage of using the "goal" field is that it's exclusive (task can only belong to one project). "

I am usually able to recognize the project just by the task subject line. If not, I'd use either folders or tags. I think using tags is more "natural" but then I am also using Pocket Informant and it treats folders as Projects. But so far I haven't really had a need to use too many project indicators even though I have about 30-70 tasks at any given time. I don't have too many projects with identical tasks, and I try to be specific in task subject line. Also my TD task list is a master list of all things I need to do today / this week / this month, with saved custom searches to filter out what I don't want to see. If I want to see things pertaining to a particular project I go to my Projects file in Xmind.

The key is not to try to capture EVERY task in Project file (if I have to create a presentation for a project I will put it in TD but won't bother creating an entry in project map unless I want to keep that presentation), and not to try to tie EVERY task in TD to a project if I know just by looking. Keep it simple and only use things when you have to.

I didn't like Evernote no matter how hard I tried to use it, so can't help you there. It lacks a good visual organizational structure so it doesn't work out - for me - as a Project tracking and planning tool, and it doesn't have a good tasking feature either. It's a big pile of random info which you can search quickly, great to store recipes and receipts.

This is unlike your scenario where the tasks are dumped in one-time at the beginning, which would much easier.

No, that's not how I do this. The project file is being worked with daily, and the tasks in TD are being updated / added / checked off as required. Usually I have my master Project map (outline) and TD opened at the same time.

Say the project is "Build a deck".

The project file will have the high level planning stuff (What Material ? What dimensions ? Links to decking product sites / sketches). Some high level tasks that are integral to planning or serve as milestones to remember will also be there (e.g. "create a layout; choose material", with each likely having sub-entries with links, pictures etc). But the concrete single steps that I have to remember about but are not essential to planning ("Buy decking screws") go straight into TD. I will know what project they are from, and I don't need to overly burden my project file with them.

Just download the free version of XMind and try it.
Ummagumma

Score: -1
What you need then is MS Project.

However, unless you _really_ need a complex project management tool, you'd find yourself spending way too much time managing the task list at the expense of actually working on your tasks.

If I learned one principle that really helps it's KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.

I like to separate my project planning (a lot of which is storing info and making plans / outlines of things to do) from my master task list - which is a list of concrete distinct actionable items that can be worked on, from all of my projects.

I use a free mindmap program called Xmind (they have a paid version as well but the free one is pretty good) to do a high level project planning & collect info. It's easy to plan with a mind map format. I can use my maps on Android via the free Mindmeister and on the iPad via paid (but extremely good so it was worth it) iThoughts.

When I am done with high level planning, I export concrete actionable tasks to Toodledo. I just copy & paste them in TD window on the desktop (on iPad, I can actually create a reminder from within iThoughts). TD acts as my master task list from all projects. If I have two similar tasks from different projects, I assign tags. If I can easily say what project the task is for by just reading the subject, I don't even bother with tags.

I don't need the tasks to stay linked to the project they came from - although it's doable I found it to be just a waste of time.

Now, there's another tool that is just perfect for project planning - OneNote. It is perfect for information gathering, you can create Outlook tasks from within ON and they will automatically stay linked to Onenote file, it has a great iOS version and an OK Android version, all free. I think it's the single best program that MS has created. I'd love to use OneNote but it requires a OneDrive account to sync with and Onedrive syncing is blocked at my work so I can't sync ON with my mobile devices.
Ummagumma

Thanks ! So this is a browser security feature ?
Ummagumma

In many other programs, I can use a "File://" type link to a local or networked file or directory.

When I insert such link into Note field, it's underlined - as if the service recognized it as a valid link - but nothing happens when I click on it. Tried three different browsers.

Is there any way to make TD work with file links ? Or is there a plan to add this feature ? I know that TD Pro offers uploading files but I work with project directories that are many gigabytes and need to be stored locally.
Ummagumma

Posted Sep 30, 2015 in: Toodledo for Apple Watch
Out there in the wild real world, many if not most of us must use company issued smartphones and the majority of them in my experience have been Androids. And I work for one of the biggest corporations in the US.

The main reason I didn't buy AW is that I am forced to use an Android phone anyway. I did look at Pebble and may end up getting it eventually.

Not supporting Android wear is not a good long term strategy, I'm afraid. Android is there to stay and some or another form of AW will be there. It's just not mainstream yet.
Ummagumma

Posted Sep 30, 2015 in: Hotlist view of little use
Yes, Hotlist is pretty useless, Saved searches are the way to go.

I wish there was a way to move the searches button to the top of the left-hand icon menu.
Ummagumma

OK... thanks.

This is not a major feature but it does make tags a bit less useful.
Ummagumma

The tag is, basically, a category.

In every program that I used, grouping by category creates an individual group header for each category, and the tasks that have multiple categories are shown under multiple headers. So e.g. if Task A has tags "Hot" and "Project 1", the common way of grouping will be

Hot

Task A
Task B
Task E

Project 1

Task A
Task D
Task F

This way, I can browse through the master list of all tasks, arranged per tag. That makes it easy to have a top level overview of your projects.

Toodledo, however, creates a separate group header for every possible combination of tags. I.e.,

Hot

Task B
Task E

Project 1

Task D
Task F

Hot, Work

Task A

So that Task A will show up under it's own header but not under either Hot or Work header; I would need to filter by tag to see the list for that particular tag - making the overview of a Master list arranged by categories (tags) unworkable when you assign multiple tags to multiple tasks. This is rather contrary to the standard practice used in major programs like Outlook or Pocket Informant.

TD - please consider changing this behavior !

This message was edited Sep 29, 2015.
Ummagumma

Posted Sep 28, 2015 in: How to Track Larger Tasks
Score: 1
The main reason for start date is to make sure the task is started early enough to meet the deadline.

Say I need to create a presentation for a meeting scheduled in 3 weeks. I know that I need 4-6 hours to put all the information in it & massage it to where it's actually presentable. Taking into account all of the meetings & unexpected "drop everything" last minute tasks, I must start working on that presentation at least 3 days before it's due. I also don't want that task clogging my calendar until that time. So I assign a start and due dates to it, and set up my calendar program (I use Pocket Informant) to only show me the tasks that are in between start and due dates, or are starred. I do my planning for the next couple of days in Toodledo, and assign a star to the tasks I want to work on next. This way that task will be hidden from my calendar view until I either star it, or it hits the start date.
Ummagumma

Posted Sep 28, 2015 in: Rolling Due Date
Just use a star, as PetrV suggested. If you're using a "star-aware" calendar app (like Pocket Informant) there's a setting to have starred tasks always on today.

Due Dates are a time consuming and cumbersome method to keep track of tasks. I only assign them if the task has a real due date.
Ummagumma

Posted Sep 24, 2015 in: How to Track Larger Tasks
I should have been more clear - in two weeks, you should be able to master resource loading for one person (which is what the OP seems to be after), and the concept of critical path task management.

Using MSP to it's full potential with large teams, interlinked projects, costs, reports and so on... that's usually a dedicated paid person. Or a whole team.
Ummagumma

Posted Sep 24, 2015 in: How to Track Larger Tasks
You can figure out how to use MS Project on your own in two weeks, using available online help. It will require spending at least a couple hours a day going through the help menu and trying things out. I've been somewhat proficient with MSP after a 3-day class. However, it's one of these skills you tend to lose if not used often. And I've never found a good way to use my MSP files on iPad or an Android device. Also, it's not free or cheap.

Honestly, unless you really need it due to the sheer complexity of your work, it's like using a nuke to get rid of a tree stump.
Ummagumma

Personally, I'd just use Stars to assign tasks to today.

I only use due dates when tasks actually are tied to some specific date.

If I plan on working on something this week or next week I use tags (1 This week, 2 Next week, 3 Future).

Manipulating stars & tags is much faster than changing dates or dealing with overdue tasks that don't really had a hard due date.
Ummagumma

Posted Sep 19, 2015 in: How to Track Larger Tasks
Oh, and to add - I think you misunderstand the way saved searches work. The whole idea of a custom search is to limit your list to what you consider important while never missing on a due date. Automatically.

I.e. I made a search condition that any item that has a due date within 2 days or a start date on today will be shown, otherwise the only items that are shown are the starred ones (i.e. "do today / next") or the ones I tagged "this week". So I don't miss dates yet filter out the ones I don't plan on working that week.
Ummagumma

Posted Sep 19, 2015 in: How to Track Larger Tasks
If you need a resourse manager the one well working tool for that - that I know - is MS Project. You assign yourself as a resource and assign time to tasks and assign these tasks to that resource and it shows you how much time you have already allocated. But using it requires a lot of discipline and more importantly being able to accurately assign time to tasks; otherwise you're going to be constantly in the red.

Or just use Calendar (any) and treat each task as an appointment, assign dates and times you will be working on it, then use free time finder to see if you have any time left. That again requires careful planning and realistic understanding of time it takes to do something. If you're THAT loaded, a simple Task list manager won't do.
Ummagumma

Posted Sep 18, 2015 in: Todoist vs Toodledo -- Why I'm back.
Todoist is - in my opinion - nowhere close to Wunderlist.

And I still prefer Toodledo over Wunderlist.
Ummagumma

Posted Sep 18, 2015 in: How to Track Larger Tasks
2OP: Is it one task or a number of smaller tasks ?

If the number of smaller tasks under one project, create a separate folder or assign a tag.

If that's just one large task that would take xxx days to complete, use the start and due dates. The whole idea of a "Start date" is to trigger a reminder on the day that you must start working on that task in order to finish it by the due date. In practically all Calendar programs, there's an option to show all tasks between start and due dates (i.e. "In Progress" tasks) on Today.

You can make the process as complex or as simple as it can be. I used to follow the GDT system to the tee but pretty soon found myself spending too much time maintaining my task list. So instead of helping me to keep my workload down it added to it.

I finally developed a system that is simple enough and works for ME. It may or may not work for YOU.

In a nutshell:

- A "Project" is not a "Task" and does not belong in the same list. A project is something you plan. A task list is the result of that planning. Having projects and tasks in the same list leads to confusion. You can still keep them all in Toodledo and use filters / custom searches to hide the projects. I actually prefer doing my planning in a separate program altogether and only export individual tasks in my task list. I use iThoughts on iPad and the free version of XMind on desktop, only because I find the mind mapping approach easier for planning stage + I can attach files to individual entries (iThought and XMind can use the same file and sync through Dropbox). And copying tasks from projects file to Toodledo only takes a moment.

- A task does not have to have dates. I only assign dates to tasks that have a deadline. I only assign start dates to tasks that I absolutely must start working on in advance to meet that deadline. All other tasks have no dates and instead get Tags - This week, Next week, This month, Sometimes. The ones I will work on next are starred. I never have more than 3 starred tasks at any given time, as a matter of principle. I go through my task lists 2-3 times a week and assign tags. For all other times, I set up a custom search that only shows the tasks that are "immediate":

- Are starred, OR
- start today, OR
- have due date in the next 2 days, OR
- Have "This week" tag.

So my task list which can be anywhere from 30 to 300 tasks depending on the workload, is cut to very manageable size for daily work.

I far prefer using tags vs dates because tags can be assigned / reassigned very quickly both on the desktop and on phone or tablet, while changing dates is more of a PITA.

I stick with Toodledo mainly because it's one of the very few services that have Start date feature, plus it's got a great filtering feature, and (important to me) syncs with Pocket Informant. Although Wunderlist does have a couple neat tricks up their sleeve (beautiful interface, file attachments in a free version). I've tried all other services and find them severely lacking.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2015.
Ummagumma

Posted Sep 17, 2015 in: Brief feedback on new design
Add me in too. It was a better approach. When using a laptop in challenging lighting conditions, it's not that easy to see subtle differences in icon color.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22      Next