ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Folke X"
Folke X

Posted Mar 29, 2012 in: Pocket Informant without google?
Score: -1
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Mar 29, 2012
  • Score: -1
That is correct. PI syncs with either with the iOS calendar or with GCal or both or neither, so if whatever calender you like to use can sync with the iOS calendar you should be alright.
Folke X

Posted Mar 27, 2012 in: Daily reoccuring task
Score: 0
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Mar 27, 2012
  • Score: 0
I don't think you need a start date to make it work. I never had a start date, and it worked just fine all the same. Must be something else.
Folke X

Score: 2
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Mar 23, 2012
  • Score: 2
Salgud,

You quote the statement:

It essentially programs the user to react mechanically to upcoming tasks, affirming a system that minimizes any concept of achievement and instead praises the process of clicking checkboxes.

What makes you say this is GTD?

I agree it is sad to see people fall into that kind of behavior, but as far as I can see you have those people all over the place, definitely not in GTD more than anywhere else.

Do you remember all those consultants in the olde days (when you and I were still young) who preached that you must put absolutely everything in a calender(make appointments with yourself) - and do you remember the followers? Jeeez. I remember one guy who called me on the phone and asked if he could call me tomorrow to discuss something for 15 minutes. I suggested we talk now, but he said he had booked this one hour solid with himself just to make appointments with others.

And what do you think of today's fashion - programming everything into something that beeps or plays a song - at 3:15 pm you get a message that says 'Stop smoking' LOL

If I want to act brainless, I prefer whisky :-)
Folke X

Score: 3
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Mar 23, 2012
  • Score: 3
Thanks for taking the time put down some ideas. I do not completely buy what you are saying, though.

First, I think all this talk about 'mechanized' behavior etc is something you can observe with many or most humans in the way they (we) handle the tasks at hand. There is mechanical behavior across all schools. The most mechanized behavior I can think of off hand is pre-programming dates for everything, i.e. scheduling tasks, and have those tasks jump up at you as a big surprise, which you must obey. At least GTD (and MYN and DIT) are all review-based, which means you have overview and control.

As far as the old-fashioned contexts (@desk, @computer etc) I would suggest you do not use those. Create some that are meaningful to you, or leave contexts alone. Personally, I have just a few, Errand being one, Solo being another. Whatever you need to filter your Next list.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012.
Folke X

Posted Mar 22, 2012 in: Native Outlook Sync?
Score: -1
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Mar 22, 2012
  • Score: -1
What is the connection between this thread and GTD?
Folke X

Posted Mar 19, 2012 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: 2
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Mar 19, 2012
  • Score: 2
@boguszewicz

Yes, exactly. Reviews are the key, the foundation of a trusted system. Then you do not need much pre-programming, if any at all.

But it seems to me the majority of apps and users are attempting to use date-and-time based pre-programming as a substitute for reviews, which is what I do not trust.
Folke X

Posted Mar 14, 2012 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Mar 14, 2012

This message was edited Mar 14, 2012.
Folke X

• Folke X

Folke X

Score: 1
  • Folke X
  • Score: 1
I agree with y'all :-)

I agree with Salgud that playing with this kind of tool is just as good a hobby as any other hobby.

I agree with Ben and Boguszewicz that the mental side of using GTD (or other review-based system) is key to both efficiency and calm.

What is disagree with most in task management systems and in the common usage of these is the overwhelming reliance on dates for everything, and the whole idea of having things pop up automatically right in your face all of a sudden just because of some arbitrary date/time that you had pre-programmed long ago. Sure, there are such things as appointments and meetings that are firmly scheduled. And sure, there are times when you need a timer to remind you about something. But in general I like to have overview of what I have at hand and what will be coming up and what I want to achieve, and have control over which things I allow to appear on my 'hot list' depending both on temporary circumstances and on my overall situation. The best way to attain this calm and control, staying on top of the situation, is through daily, weekly and monthly reviews. Whether you use GTD, DIT, MYN or your own review-based system does not matter all that much. They are all essentially very similar. And conversely, just because someone says they are using this or that, say GTD, is no guarantee that they actually follow a review-based paradigm. Instead, you notice quite frequently even in the forums of highly profiled GTD apps, that a huge part of the users appear to be stuck in their old pre-programming habits. It is just the names of the lists that have changed.

Folke X

Posted Mar 09, 2012 in: Toodledo for Work and Home
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Mar 09, 2012
I also recommend Tags (or Contexts) because they can be selected using the quick filter ("Show"), which means you do not have to set up as many saved searches as you would need to if you would choose Location or Folder or any of the others fields.

You can also set up double versions of all your lists (called 'saved searches' in Toodledo), one set for Work and one for Personal, e.g. a Now list (Today / Focus / Do - same thing, different name), and a Next list (actionable items) and lists comprising all your things including the maybe-never-evers and things you are waiting for others to finish. That's all up to you,what lists you want, but you need one set for each area if you want to keep them separate, or use the quick filter.

Everybody's life is different, but personally I certainly would not like to separate my Areas completely. What needs to be done now needs to be done now, regardless of Area. I need a 'Now' list that comprises all areas. I use the areas mainly for long term planning. You have chosen to have only two areas, Work and Personal. I have chosen to have seven "roles", because it suits my perspective on what I do and it serves my needs both for long term planning and for quick and precise checkups. Either way, you can narrow down to the areas you want by using saved searches and/or by using the quick filter.

Or you could look at other apps that have a 'sticky' global Area filter, which most users of those apps use for Work and Personal.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2012.
Folke X

Posted Mar 08, 2012 in: Small update: import + support tickets
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Mar 08, 2012
Hmm. I think I can spot some grammatical imperfections in your Turkish, or am I mistaken :-)
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Feb 23, 2012
hm

Like Purveyor says, you can define in Settings that Search will be your default starting place when you open Toodledo. This means you will have all your saved searches ready in a list on the left side - one click away.

You probably want even more saved searches than just this one. Many users (including me) "live" entirely within Search, with custom lists for everything. Convenient.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2012.
Folke X

Posted Feb 22, 2012 in: Ideas/philosophies as next 'actions'
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Feb 22, 2012
Posted by Disorganised:
If you put that in your next action, what would you do once it's been completed for that day?

Probably assess it or something. Or keep it for a weekly assessment. Whatever. Up to you.

Posted by cabbage:
Folke X

Yes and no. You could say that making up the sheet is an action, but it's a less-than-2-minutes action so it never gets entered into my system.

Keeping the tally marks isn't an action either. I don't WANT to enter any tally marks, so there is nothing to do other than make sure I have my sheet handy for whenever I slip up.

Perhaps the next action is to review my progress at the end of the week.

A weekly assessment seems very appropriate. Having a daily repeating task as a reminder to yourself to keep tally is not necessarily wrong, why would it be? And when you don't need it anymore, skip it.
Folke X

• Folke X
Or create a saved search that shows exactly what you intended to show in the first place.
Folke X

Posted Feb 22, 2012 in: Ideas/philosophies as next 'actions'
  • Folke X
cabbage,

Actually there is a next action there :-)

(Guess what: To make a note of how many incidents you had that day)
Folke X

Posted Feb 17, 2012 in: Ideas/philosophies as next 'actions'
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Feb 17, 2012
@Disorganised

Rephrasing something into an action (or project, if you will) is not necessarily the same thing as breaking it down. But you could, and probably should, break it down. In TD you could use subtasks for the minor parts, e.g. under the "Get Organized" project (task in TD) you could have a first task (subtask in TD) called "Identify avenues" and set a reasonably short time, e.g. 30 minutes, for this first analysis. Then as a result of that initial analysis you will probably come up with several avenues (further subtasks) to investigate further, e.g. "investigate todo apps", "investigate meditation", "investigate social groups" etc etc, and as you analyze those, one by one, you probably come up with even more ideas. But the whole time you keep your "Get organized" main task high up on your list.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2012.
Folke X

Posted Feb 17, 2012 in: Ideas/philosophies as next 'actions'
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Feb 17, 2012
1. You could always rephrase a mental or philosphical issue or question into a doable action. For example, instead of "stop being so disorganized" you could enter something like "Identify avenues for increased efficiency (30 minutes)"

But basically, as long as you yourself know what the implicit action is, it does not matter if it is phrased as a question or something else. But if you are uncertain, then it is better to rephrase it as a real action.

2. As for goals and gudelines etc. I have often wanted, and many times tried, to keep a select few such things at the top of my list. It feels like the right thing to do, intuitively. But I must say I have never noticed any real benefit of it, and after experimenting with it yet again for the umptieleventh time I usully stop after a couple of months.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2012.
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Feb 06, 2012
1. refresh the screen (browser)
2. hide completed items (TD filter)
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Jan 25, 2012
Posted by johnsonwarren:
I was also frustrated by not having more control over manually sorting priorities and almost gave up on Toodledo. Then I came across The one minute to do list by Michael Linenberger (1mtd.biz) which has a whole section on Toodle integrating with his approach.

Toodledo even has a link to preset your settings to match the Linenberger system. His system uses a start date approach to help reorder items so the fresh ones are on top, and you change the start date to give more fine tuning to the ordering of items in toodledo. It's not manual control, but it actually works nicely and has some logic behind it.
http://www.toodledo.com/systems.php

I would like to emphasize this recommendation by johnsonwarren. Linenberger's free PDF book ( http://michaellinenberger.com/free1MTD.htm ) is a good read. His MYN metodology itself is GTD-ish, but simpler - very rational. The setup for Toodledo is unproblematic and the resulting main list is very useful as it is and is sorted "manually" using Start date (task entry date) as your "tweak" parameter. You probably want to add some filters and tags etc of your own, if you perhaps want a waiting list, an errands list etc. Try it!

This message was edited Jan 25, 2012.
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Jan 12, 2012
And for someone that uses Toodledo it is easy enough to then add whatever context tags etc that he or she needs. And Waiting. And all this is easily filterable in the Show menu. Perfect. In one single long list in the most relevant order. Super perfect.

I wonder about projects, though. Nirvana has this auto-load functionality for its (sequential) projects. If you have, say, 10 active projects, then if you choose a particular setting, the Next list will show these 10 projects on 10 lines only, regardless of how many tasks there are in each project. Only the first task from each project will be visible in the Next list, but as soon as you complete this task the next task will automatically show up in its place, and so on until the project is finished. This makes the Next list very short and handy and stable (and there are other views if you want to see the projects differently). That's the main reason I am not sure I want to go the MYN-Toodledo way myself right now, although I am tempted.

Do you know a way to achieve something similar in Toodledo? How do you yourself handle projects with MYN-Toodledo?

This message was edited Jan 12, 2012.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13      Next