ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by cabbage"
cabbage

Posted Apr 16, 2012 in: Template Functionally
Score: 0
  • cabbage
  • Posted: Apr 16, 2012
  • Score: 0
It's already possible. I have a Template context (folder would work too). In there is a "Going on holiday" checklist and a "back from holiday" checklist. All the items are subtasks. Whenever I need one I copy the parent task and voila, an instant working copy.
cabbage

Posted Apr 15, 2012 in: Family chore list (to-do)?
  • cabbage
  • Posted: Apr 15, 2012
How about just use one account and use the Tag field to say which family member has each task?
cabbage

Posted Apr 05, 2012 in: Holidays
  • cabbage
  • Posted: Apr 05, 2012
Sorry, I went back and reread your post. I have nothing against an integrated piece of software, as long as the option to keep my to-dos out of the calendar is there.
cabbage

Posted Apr 05, 2012 in: Holidays
  • cabbage
  • Posted: Apr 05, 2012
Because a calendars and to do lists serve different purposes:

- A to do list is a list of things you have to do.
- A Calendar is a list of appointments.

Some tasks can only be done at a certain time or on a certain day. These need appointments and should be on the calendar.

Others might have a deadline but that's a different sort of time commitment. You might work for part of every day on something that needs to get done by the end of the month, but you don't need to make appointments for it.

Of course, you CAN make appointments with yourself to do any task, even those that are not time-sensitive at all. But it's a personal choice, and those of us who use the two tools separately like to keep them separate.
cabbage

Posted Apr 02, 2012 in: Keeping it simple
Score: 1
  • cabbage
  • Posted: Apr 02, 2012
  • Score: 1
Yup, I agree there too. I always pick up on another aspect of GTD when rereading. Something I know I have to get a better hold on is the models for planning.
cabbage

• cabbage
Oh yes, start date. I use that too!

Most of the time, it just takes the default of the task creation date. It's useful to see if I have been putting anything off for a long time.

For tickler tasks, it's the date I want to be reminded.

And for a very few other tasks, it's the first day I could possibly start doing it, if that is not today.
cabbage

Score: -1
  • cabbage
  • Score: -1
That's interesting. I use the same fields in almost the same way. I'm not happy about including tags but I use it mainly for organising my Out & About context. Some items I can buy only in ASDA, some only in Tesco, some in both. Tags allow me to express that nicely.

Oh, I also have a zzz tag for my braindead list.

I don't use folders. I used to use that for areas of responsibility but then I realised that my projects had folders and my actions had contexts. I combined them and annotated contexts like @ Calls @ and folders like | Work |. This puts contexts above areas of responsibility, - Inbox - above that and ~ Someday/Maybe ~ right at the bottom to keep it all organised.
cabbage

• cabbage
  • Posted: Apr 01, 2012
I use gmail, google calendar and Toodledo.

Collection is (in order of preference) "Inbox" context on TD, on bits of paper, smartphone camera, letterbox in my front door.

(The sooner everyone admits to the letterbox as another forced inbox and puts a paper recycling bin next to it, the better!)

I used to use the GTD setup with gmail but I noticed two problems:

1. Having partial lists in two places turned out to be more mental overhead for me that taking the time to enter them as projects and next actions in TD. Gmail has the advantage that you can copy the URL of the email into a note for a direct link to the email.

2. Gmail's search is so powerful that I always used it to find what I wanted despite the folders (tags) I set up. Goodbye tags! These days I have an @Action tag and an @Tomorrow tag. (and maybe a couple of temporary ones for short-lived projects)

@Action is used for emails I need to do something about but don't have time to process right now. I use it sparingly and process it whenever I empty my other inboxes. The advantage is that I can see at a glance if there is something genuinely new in the real inbox.

@Tomorrow is for mailing lists that I have subscribed to. I don't want to be disturbed by them throughout the day. Once a day, I go through and read yesterday's mailing lists. If there are too many or I'm too busy or I miss a day then they get deleted. (Or moved to @Action if something really is important)

I hope that helps!
cabbage

Posted Apr 01, 2012 in: Keeping it simple
  • cabbage
  • Posted: Apr 01, 2012
PeterW, I agree wholeheartedly. I started off using quite a lot of fields here on TD but I found it slowed down adding a task and maintaining the lists. I gradually reviewed what I got from each field and found there were other ways of doing most things.

I'd be interested to hear what fields you use in your simple system.
cabbage

• cabbage
  • Posted: Mar 31, 2012
TD overhauled its user interface last year. I would check the dates on the reviews you found since I suspect they will be referring to the old interface.

I used to use RTM and liked it initially. Eventually I became dissatisfied (can't remember why) and switched to Toodledo as an alternative.

In terms of tools, I follow the book's recommendation to start with paper. It is ultimately flexible, customisable and portable.
cabbage

Posted Mar 06, 2012 in: Reorder control columns
  • cabbage
  • Posted: Mar 06, 2012
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
cabbage

• cabbage
I don't use the notebook or the folders field so I don't know if this is possible. If not ...

A passable workaround may be to have two browser windows open, one on each page. Windows has the option to tile windows neatly and automatically so you can see both.
cabbage

Posted Mar 06, 2012 in: Reorder control columns
  • cabbage
I would like to put the toggle notes control column beside the other task controls on the left. However, I don't seem to be able to reposition them when I edit the other fields' orders.

To be clear, I would like my column order something like:

Checked
Starred
Actions
Subtask
Toggle Notes
Task Name
Tag
Context
etc...

This would help me a lot. My attention tends to be further to the left, since that's where I have most of the interesting stuff like the task name, and I often forget that I have written a notes for individual tasks. Is it possible to do this?
cabbage

• cabbage
  • Posted: Feb 28, 2012
Posted by mstee777:
I'm also going to go through and see what I can give the optional due date to. Like taking the garbage to the road. Once it's past for the week, nothing I can do but let it slide to the next week. I have a couple of admin things that could be optional also.

I use Toodledo for this exact scenario. Bin day is Thursday for me so my "Take out bins" task starts on Wednesday and is also due on Wednesday, repeating weekly from the start date.

If I wake up on Thursday and the bin men have already been, I just forgive myself and mark it completed anyway. It will pop up again next week and I can forget about it until then.
cabbage

Posted Feb 28, 2012 in: Lotus Notes
Score: -1
  • cabbage
  • Posted: Feb 28, 2012
  • Score: -1
I used Lotus about 8 or 9 years ago and if I remember correctly, it had a scripting language. Since TD's backup download is XML, it should be possible to write a macro to import/export it. Now, depending on your coding ability, that might mean employing someone to do it, but it might be worth it.
cabbage

Posted Feb 26, 2012 in: My Use of Contexts
  • cabbage
  • Posted: Feb 26, 2012
I'm not sure how you intend to use your "School" folder. Is it for tasks you have to do at school, or for all the tasks relating to your school work?

One thing you could try is to add an "Anywhere" context. Then you can use the filters to show @Anywhere and either @Skokie or @Teddy.

Another idea is to add the words "sko" or "ted" to the end of the task names. That way you can do a search for all the tasks you can do in each location.

My final suggestion is to add duplicate tasks. Have a task that you can do in two contexts? Add it to both. If you forget to check it off on both, you will quickly realise the next time you scan the other context.

Hope that helps!
cabbage

Posted Feb 24, 2012 in: Braindead Tip
  • cabbage
  • Posted: Feb 24, 2012
I've got a tip for my braindead list that I would like to share.

I like to keep my setup as minimal as I can. I only use context, start date, end date and repeat (and the last two sparingly at that!) I've been trying to incorporate a braindead list without adding bloat. I think I've finally cracked it.

My solution is simple and doesn't need any extra columns: Just add zzz to the task name. Initially I started adding it to the start so I could find my braindead tasks together at the end of the alphabet. But then I realised I could save a custom search and add the sleepy zzz to the end of the name.

Other things I considered were tags, folders and a separate @Braindead context, but they all had their downsides.

Hope someone finds this tip useful!
cabbage

Posted Feb 23, 2012 in: Ideas/philosophies as next 'actions'
  • cabbage
  • Posted: Feb 23, 2012
Posted by Folke X:
Having a daily repeating task as a reminder to yourself to keep tally is not necessarily wrong, why would it be? And when you don't need it anymore, skip it.

Good point. Nothing wrong with a daliy reminder!
cabbage

Posted Feb 22, 2012 in: Ideas/philosophies as next 'actions'
  • cabbage
  • Posted: Feb 22, 2012
Folke X

Yes and no. You could say that making up the sheet is an action, but it's a less-than-2-minutes action so it never gets entered into my system.

Keeping the tally marks isn't an action either. I don't WANT to enter any tally marks, so there is nothing to do other than make sure I have my sheet handy for whenever I slip up.

Perhaps the next action is to review my progress at the end of the week.
cabbage

Posted Feb 21, 2012 in: Ideas/philosophies as next 'actions'
  • cabbage
  • Posted: Feb 21, 2012
I have started using next actions as reminders when I want to make a habit. It started with me trying to clear a large backlog of laundry. I set up a daily action to "Wash Clothes" that only got checked once I had washed and hung out a machine-full. If I missed a day or 2, the start date of the task would show it!

By the end, I had formed the habit of checking if there was laundry every day and washing whatever there was. I deleted the repeating action since I no longer needed the reminder. However, I wanted to make sure I kept the good habit so I set up a tickler for a month later to prompt me to reflect on how I'm doing.

Since then, I've done the same with daily exercise and keeping the house tidy (not really an action but a reminder at the start of the day and reflection at the end).

For breaking a bad habit, I prefer a technique outside GTD. My example comes from a job I had in a lab where I wanted to stop spilling chemicals on my hand. No next action here! I got a sheet of paper and wrote Monday to Friday down the left. Any time I got something on my hands a tally mark went beside that day.

The first day was shocking. The next had 10 incidents, 2 the day after, and after that either zero or no incidents.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next