ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by KBC1-Gold-Expired-May2020"
KBC1-Gold-Expired-May2020

Posted Oct 17, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
Score: 0
So, I am going to go out on a limb here.

ToodleDo is in San Ramon and Remember the Milk is in San Francisco.

These products are sooo similar.

If ToodleDo needs programmers, I wonder if these two companies could work together — or even merge???

@Anant?

This message was edited Oct 17, 2019.

Posted Oct 17, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
Anant — the link above works for everyone. You don’t need an individual invite.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2019.

Posted Oct 15, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
Score: -1
The forum you are now reading on Toodledo.com is still working and is uncensored as of today, but who knows how long this will continue? A few people have started an independent forum in Slack under the free Slack plan, so that should be active for awhile.

Feel free to join us. That discussion is located here...

https://join.slack.com/t/td-user-coop/shared_invite/enQtNzQ2NzcwNjc4MzA3LTc3OWNhZmE2Yjk1YjgzMjVkMjU1NDYwZTIxYjE0OTIzMTVjMGNlYjQ2ODgzMGE1MDU3ZjEzNmFlMzMyZmZjOTU

If you have any trouble getting in, feel free to send a message to my Gmail account.
My Gmail address is kurtsdcb at

Below is another copy of the Slack link if the one above does not work.

https://join.slack.com/t/td-user-coop/shared_invite/enQtNzQ2NzcwNjc4MzA3LTc3OWNhZmE2Yjk1YjgzMjVkMjU1 NDYwZTIxYjE0OTIzMTVjMGNlYjQ2ODgzMGE1MDU3ZjEzNmFlMzMyZmZjOTU

Be sure to cut and paste both lines into your browser, up through and including ZmZjOTU

This message was edited Oct 15, 2019.

Posted Sep 12, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
Score: 1
Outside discussion continued here...

https://join.slack.com/t/td-user-coop/shared_invite/enQtNzQ2NzcwNjc4MzA3LTc3OWNhZmE2Yjk1YjgzMjVkMjU1 NDYwZTIxYjE0OTIzMTVjMGNlYjQ2ODgzMGE1MDU3ZjEzNmFlMzMyZmZjOTU

---------------------

(Only part of the URL may be hyperlinked. Copy and past both/all of the lines above into your browser).

This message was edited Sep 12, 2019.

After watching many small software companies come and go over the past few decades, I can imagine the possible future outcomes for ToodleDo (some described in previous messages).

Someone above mentioned open source, which has pros and cons. In addition to that, I am wondering about the possibility of the dedicated users here somehow creating a group that (legally) acquires a master copy of TD and finds a hosting service somewhere where it can run into perpetuity with crowdfunding by users? Someone else here will understand the potential better than I do -- but the result would be something of a public broadcasting model where users support the service with donations and the service is managed / maintained by volunteers.

The ability to backup a ToodleDo file and restore it into another account would (should?) make it possible for us to upload our current files to another SaaS server running the ToodleDo master code. TO BE CLEAR -- I am advocating that this be done in a totally legal, ethical above-board way with the knowledge and permission of the current ToodleDo owners, and possibly with the cooperating and assistance of the previous owner (Jake?). Sure, there would be some issues to be worked out, but, without getting into too many details too early, does any of this seem plausible?

-----------------------------------------------------

And, can we move this discussion to an outside, independent forum, where this can be brainstormed in a constructive, positive, productive way?

Polite responses are invited. Thanks from KBC1 in SoCal.

@Everyone -- I am a long time Gold user with another 8 months remaining on my Gold Subscription / and bought one of the "lifetime" Plus subscriptions too (knowing that backups can be made from one account and restored to another). Committed to using ToodleDo as long as it continues working.

SUGGESTION -- This forum seems to be working right now and it seems that no one has attempted to censor it -- BUT -- Does someone here want to start an external forum that is easy and free so that we can all connect on the outside without any limitations? How about a private FB or Slack group or something that everyone is comfortable with? Preferably administered by a couple of long-time knowledgeable ToodleDo users with software expertise? (More than one moderator / admin for redundancy). Even better if it's someone who lives in NorCal (close to ToodleDo offices) and someone who knows Jake.

Any volunteers?

============

UNTIL someone proposes / creates a better option, here is a free public Slack group that we can use to get started (and then migrate to something better in the future).

Posted Aug 29, 2019 in: Toodledo Update August 2019
Score: 10
Anant wrote: Many people on the forums are saying that Toodledo is shutting down, that is not really the case. We are not going anywhere.

-------------------

Thank you, sir.

If you study the history of database software apps, you'll see a common pattern that indicates end of product life. First the company is sold, development is frozen, new executives come and go without explanation, bizarre events happen (like fire sale prices on third-party promotional sites), the company issues denials about their troubles... and then... the company disappears or is acquired by another company that eventually retires the core product or transitions users to something different.

You can see why people in this forum are concerned and skeptical. They are wondering why there has not been more honest and open communication, and why loyal users were not directly offered the special promotion ($40 for a five or ten year subscription) while they were still being offered the $60 per year full price that was many many times higher than the third party special (essentially $4 per year), which they were never told about... even after a year of confusion where the price first went up too high, and now seems too low for you to fund and sustain the company.

Many of us love ToodleDo and want to keep using it. I personally am fine with it staying functionally the way it is now with no significant feature upgrades as long as the infrastructure is kept up to date and the server keeps running. But we all need to feel confident that the critical data that we pay to store on your server is going to be secure, protected, and available when we need to access it. The investment of time and effort that I expend every day into maintaining my calendar / task lists / files / and notes is many times greater than $4 per year or even $60 per year.

Some users are not confident in the leadership that has been displayed by the company over the past several months. We hope that ToodleDo will survive and thrive. But please don't keep us in the dark, and if you plan to do any more crazy promotions (like another 93.33% price cut), please try to find a way to let us know first.

Thank you sir. Live long and prosper.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2019.

Posted Aug 23, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Can someone in East Bay run by ToodleDo’s business address and see if there are any answers there?

10 Crow Canyon Road #210
San Ramon, CA 94583

Might just be a dormitory for software engineers. Or a conference center / mail drop.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2019.

Larry wrote: I'm tempted on the $40 lifetime but am hesitant.

If $40 is a lot to you then use the free version. The ad revenue will help support the rest of us who have paid. For me $8 per year or $4 per year is the bargain of the decade. With the productivity I gain, this is paid off in a day.

>>Why would Toodledo offer such a reduction via outside their own website?

That’s a really good question. I can think of several possibilities, but this is totally speculation. Maybe Stack Social offered them some cash for a bunch of licenses and the new owner just wanted the cash. If Stack Social sells 1,000 licenses at $40 each and gives half of that to the new owners, that’s enough to cover server costs for a while.

Or this might be a time limited opportunity of a few days offered as a gift to long time users who have been so critical of the price increases. A clever way to satisfy them without cannibalizing the business customers on the main website. Easily explainable as a short term promotion to clean up some user dissatisfaction. We will have to see how long it lasts. When I saw the $40 promo yesterday I grabbed it.

Not sure how many people there are in the new company that bought the results of Jake’s years of work. At least one CEO in the new company has come and gone. And he seemed like a young and inexperienced person in the Bay Area. I am guessing there have been some differences of opinion. And it looks like this is a bi-national company. Cultural differences between India and the USA? All of this is very common in the software business. But again, it is only speculation. Maybe none of my guesses are true.

>>What does stacksocial get out of this?

They get some portion of the $40 with no cost of supporting the app. They build their reputation as a source of cheap solutions. And they can try to upsell you on other products on their site. They are merely a reseller.

>>If if supported by Toodledo, why would they offer such a huge reduction? Lifetime subscriptions are not the best money generating means to profit.

Yeah, it’s a mystery right now until someone does some digging. I almost don’t want to know the true answer. It shows some serious chaos. See my previous posts above. What will the future bring?

I like the current ToodleDo Web SaaS service and the iOS app as-is without any major changes. For me, this is better than anything else in this segment. Priacta rates it the highest in the category. I just need someone to have it up and running on a server, and do the maintenance upgrades to keep the server running. It’s a utility like water or electricity. Keep it running but don’t screw it up.

This todo-list / task management / notes-calendaring / app-software market segment is so very crowded, fractionalized, and competitive. There are ma and pa developers willing to spend a few years of sweat equity to create apps and host them on AWS or other servers and try to build a following. Hoping later to sell out to a bigger company that mostly wants to buy their user base and then upsell something new. Giants like Google and Microsoft will always have something that competes in one way or another. And users are so demanding and brutally critical.

It does not seem that this will ever be a highly profitable segment. So we will see a lot of solutions come and go and consolidate. A segment constantly in flux. Like so many other software segments in the past.

Scott wrote: I HAD a paid account, but when I upgraded to the lifetime Plus, I was not a paying customer. So you don't need a NEW account, but you may confuse the system if you already have a paid one.

——————-

I have a Gold account that is good for another 9 months. Didn’t want to lose that, so opened a new free account and installed the $40 Plus Lifetime over that. Then restored a backup of the Gold on top of the Plus.

That strategy gives me some data protection options, if either Stack Social or ToodleDo have problems. My two different accounts have different Gmail addresses and different login details.

See more at the bottom of this thread, dated today...

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26261/2/proscons-of-alternatives-to-toodledo.html

Scott wrote: I stated that you needed to contact CS every 5 years in my original post.

—————————-

That assumes that Stack Social and ToodleDo are still around in five years. Among small software companies, nothing is certain. Especially if one of them is outside the USA.

——————————

OTOH... In today’s world, it is fairly simple to keep an app server up and running. Especially if they have some ad revenue from the free accounts. And if they don’t make any major changes to the code, just needed infrastructure maintenance. And who knows, if the new owners fail to perform, maybe the original owners have the right to run another server with an older version of the code (before the new owners made changes).

Whatever the case, hopefully there will always be some version of ToodleDo running on a public server somewhere in the world. Maybe not super fast, and maybe with no new features, but I like ToodleDo exactly as it is today without any major changes.

The key here is to do backups regularly so that you can upload them to a new account / or new server / as this situation evolves. That includes CSV backups that can be read in Excel.

AND, if you turn off the synch, you can run TD on an iPad autonomously for awhile. At least until Apple screws it up with an iOS update, or something else happens. You would have no synch to your desktop, but you would have access to your data for awhile.

Advisory: I saw a reference somewhere that said this deal expires in four days. Maybe they will extend that, but just sayin’...

https://stacksocial.com/sales/toodledo-plus-lifetime-subscription

$40 five year (renewable) subscription to ToodleDo Plus. What is that, $8 per year if you use it for five years? $4 per year if you renew for another five years (assuming that someone keeps the server running)?

Posted Aug 23, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Advisory: I saw a reference somewhere that said this deal expires in four days. Maybe they will extend that, but just sayin’...

$40 five year (renewable) subscription to ToodleDo Plus. What is that, $8 per year if you use it for five years? $4 per year if you renew for another five years (assuming that someone keeps the server running)?

My redundant Toodledo backups give me protection if StackSocial runs into issues with the Lifetime upgrades, or if Toodledo the company shuts down, or if the Toodledo server goes down. Who knows how this situation is going to play out?

Option one is to read the CSV files using Excel. Another option is possibly uploading my Toodledo files into another app, such as RTM.

Over the years, many software companies have come and gone / have been sold / have shut down? Does anyone remember Sidekick? How about ACT and Telemagic? Or Goldmine? Did anyone here ever have a Palm Pilot? I think I still have some old notes and data from those apps in a data warehouse. I like to keep an archive of old data for audit trail purposes. You never know when you might need some old note from a business deal or social occasion.

Of course you could totally disregard my previous messsage. Instead, use your current ToodleDo email address to buy a Lifetime Plus upgrade from Stack Social. You must use the same email as you have in ToodleDo to make the purchase. When you get the purchase code, follow the promo link that StackSocial gives you. Log on to your Silver account and use the purchase code to upgrade your Silver account. I don’t know for sure if this will work, but there is a good chance it might.

I wanted to keep my Gold account intact and thus I did not want to overwrite the new Plus lifetime over my Gold account. That’s why I opened a new free account and upgraded that to plus lifetime. And now I have two accounts for redundancy. I use the plus lifetime as my main account and back it up every Saturday. If it goes down, I can try restoring the backup to my gold account, at least until that one expires. I know this is convoluted and redundant, but it gives me some options if ToodleDo the company shuts down.

BEFORE you do anything, make multiple local backups, including a CSV backup. If you somehow lose your data on ToodleDo, you can open the CSV with Excel. I recommend weekly backups, or even more often. This only takes a few seconds. My ToodleDo notes go back ten years and are very critical to me. And I have time-based tasks that go out five years into the future that I cannot afford to lose.

More to come...

I did not want to tempt fate and mess up my Gold account which is good for another 9 months.

So I opened a new GMail email address, and used that to buy the Lifetime Plus from Stack Social.

Then you click a link they give you that goes to Toodledo. Then you use the new gmail address to create an all new, free Toodledo account. Then you enter the purchase code and upgrade from free to lifetime plus. Now you have two accounts.

Run a backup on your Silver account and download that to your local PC and save forever. Also so a CSV backup for extra safety - that can always been used in Excel if Toodledo ever goes down.

Next, upload the backup / restore that to the lifetime plus account that you just opened. That will make the plus account identical to the old silver account. Start using the plus account instead of the Silver account. When the silver account expires, it will downgrade to free and you will lose some functions. But use the Lifetime plus account instead. Use the old silver account, which will eventually downgrade to free, as a backup. You can restore the Plus account / write it over top the Silver account / every so often to keep them in parallel.

This is a lot of trouble, and there are some redundancies, but I don’t trust ToodleDo and I do not know what is going to happen in the future. Maybe StackSocial will survive if ToodleDo does not. This gives me two options / backups.

More to come...

Posted Aug 22, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
LONG TIME USER... 10 YEARS...

Okay, so I spent a good part of today reading this forum and browsing the Web. Without going too deep, ToodleDo Gold or Plus is the best solution for me. Priacta rates it the highest in the class, and I have been using it so long we are like an old married couple. I looked at a bunch of alternatives and none of those is optimum for me. I am set in my habits and don't want to export 2,000 tasks and notes and learn a new system. None of the alternatives is exactly like ToodleDo.

My Gold subscription runs into next year, and I just bought a lifetime plus subscription from StackSocial for $40 that supposedly is good for five years. After that, I have to contact support at StackSocial to have it renewed, apparently at no cost. But if it turns out to be another $40 no big deal. ToodleDo is worth that. Here is the deal -->> https://stacksocial.com/sales/toodledo-plus-lifetime-subscription

I am running the two subscriptions in parallel, backing up one weekly and copying it to the other. When the Gold expires, I will simply delete that and continue with the 5-Year Plus. I like ToodleDo as is, and if they never make a change or feature enhancement, I will be satisfied with that. I also use the iOS app on an iPad Pro, and that is fine too. As long as the current owner, or StackSocial, or someone else keeps the ToodleDo server running for ten years or so, I will be happy. Let's hope that happens.

People complaining and asking for more features and making life difficult for the new developers won't help save ToodleDo. Use what we have, be glad we have it, and hope that the server stays up. And make lots of local backups in case it does not -- including CSV. I do this weekly like doing my wash and it takes just a few seconds. It is the first task on my calendar every Saturday morning.

Those who switch to Milk Remembering or ToDoist or Marvin or whatever are wished well. But I like ToodleDo and that's my story.

Posted Aug 22, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: -1
LONG TIME USER... 10 YEARS...

Okay, so I spent a good part of today reading this forum and browsing the Web. Without going too deep, ToodleDo Gold or Plus is the best solution for me. Priacta rates it the highest in the class, and I have been using it so long we are like an old married couple. I looked at a bunch of alternatives and none of those is optimum for me. I am set in my habits and don't want to export 2,000 tasks and notes and learn a new system. None of the alternatives is exactly like ToodleDo.

My Gold subscription runs into next year, and I just bought a lifetime plus subscription from StackSocial for $40 that supposedly is good for five years. After that, I have to contact support at StackSocial to have it renewed, apparently at no cost. But if it turns out to be another $40 no big deal. ToodleDo is worth that. Here is the deal -->> https://stacksocial.com/sales/toodledo-plus-lifetime-subscription

I am running the two subscriptions in parallel, backing up one weekly and copying it to the other. When the Gold expires, I will simply delete that and continue with the 5-Year Plus. I like ToodleDo as is, and if they never make a change or feature enhancement, I will be satisfied with that. I also use the iOS app on an iPad Pro, and that is fine too. As long as the current owner, or StackSocial, or someone else keeps the ToodleDo server running for ten years or so, I will be happy. Let's hope that happens.

People complaining and asking for more features and making life difficult for the new developers won't help save ToodleDo. Use what we have, be glad we have it, and hope that the server stays up. And make lots of local backups in case it does not -- including CSV. I do this weekly like doing my wash and it takes just a few seconds. It is the first task on my calendar every Saturday morning.

Those who switch to Milk Remembering or ToDoist or Marvin or whatever are wished well. But I like ToodleDo and that's my story.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2019.

Posted Aug 22, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Also note... ToodleDo is showing an address as follows:

10 Crow Canyon Road #210
San Ramon, CA 94583

Does someone in East Bay want to drive by there and check for signs of life?

I suspect that it may be a conference room / mail drop and the ToodleDo people live and work somewhere else.

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next