ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by roddyt"
roddyt

Posted Jan 20, 2010 in: New Tag Picker
Score: 0
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Jan 20, 2010
  • Score: 0
This was a big one with me, and I'll even add that I like the way it was implemented.

Auto-complete would be nice eventually, but a pick list is enough to satisfy my appetite for now. I would prefer you move on to other big ticket items and return to this later.
roddyt

• roddyt
  • Posted: Jan 15, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:
I hear you. I'll see what I can do.

But you have to admit that having a context filter (even with 11 clicks) is better than no context filter at all, so we are making progress. If it is too frustrating to use, please ignore this new feature until we have a chance to tweak it.

Just as Proximo said, I don't want to seem ungrateful. You've still got the best system going for my needs. Just a bit of constructive (I hope) criticism.
roddyt

• roddyt
  • Posted: Jan 15, 2010
Now that I've tried this new filter, I have to agree with the others. As it is, I won't use it. In my case, I have a context of Errands, and I use tags for the type. So if I'm in the hardware store, I want to select Hardware once, not click 10 others to hide them.

I know the point you're making with the term "filter" and you're probably correct. But it's a fine point that I don't think would confuse anyone. Especially as there is a label at the top of each selection group that could read "Select Contexts/Tags" instead of "Hide."

If you stick to this functionality, then a button to "check all", as you suggested earlier, is a necessity.
roddyt

Posted Aug 31, 2009 in: How organize Tasks
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Aug 31, 2009
Posted by SteveUrich:
Thanks for your suggestions.
Having all of these lists that have to be reviewed and counting on the review to help me prioritize while I am in the rush of the day seems more work than it is worth.

I second Claudio's recommendation to check out the GTD forum, but I do want to address this comment.

The review is a very important aspect of GTD, but it should be done at a time that you specifically set aside for it; preferably without interruption. It's not something you want to do "in the rush of the day."

As for the massive amount of undoable tasks, yes, it sounds like the initial foray into GTD where you do the first mind dump. It can be daunting, but it's a one time exercise. In the beginning you add a lot of tasks, but soon enough your head will be empty (my wife sometimes thinks mine always has been) and the number of tasks you add on a day to day basis becomes more reasonable.

In the end, it's whatever works best for you that counts.

Roddy
roddyt

Posted Aug 20, 2009 in: Trouble accessing Toodledo from work
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Aug 20, 2009
Thanks all for the help. Ninjacloak, not surprisingly from your description, is a blocked site. All I get is a dire warning not to try that again. I didn't know about the HTML access. I'll remember that if push comes to shove and I need to see something quick.

But...
Yesterday afternoon, access to the site returned to normal, after almost two weeks. I hesitate to mention it because I'm afraid I'll jinx it. It's still working well this morning, so I'm hoping for the best. If it should revert back again, I'll give the SSL encryption a try.

Thanks again for the help,
Roddy
roddyt

Posted Aug 19, 2009 in: Trouble accessing Toodledo from work
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Aug 19, 2009
There's no happy ending here. I finally took the time to contact IT and my suspicions were correct. There's new security implemented that analyzes all incoming traffic. They were able to determine that Toodledo is a very "robust" site with a lot of scripting. That's what is causing the slow-down. All scripts are being analyzed to be sure nothing evil is happening, hence a long wait.

Security isn't willing to budge on this, so I have to put up with it. Oh well. I've already started to adjust. I open TD in a few separate windows so if I should happen to click on something that causes it to go into its "thinking" phase, I can switch over to another window to continue. I'm nothing if I'm not resourceful.
roddyt

Posted Aug 18, 2009 in: Trouble accessing Toodledo from work
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Aug 18, 2009
Thanks again. The only connection here is that both seem related to images.toodledo.com, though I wish I only had to wait 20 seconds instead of 30 minutes. One question from that thread though. What is a CDN. I may recognize it when I hear it, but I'm drawing a blank now.
roddyt

Posted Aug 18, 2009 in: Trouble accessing Toodledo from work
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Aug 18, 2009
Very strange indeed. Thanks for the help, but that's not it.

One tidbit I can add. I paid some attention to the status line at the bottom of the browser. Every time I looked, there was a reference to "images.toodledo.com" in one form or another: either Read from, Waiting for, or Transferring data from.

This ties in with what I've seen. When the data finally appears after a half hour or so, the interface still looks goofy.
roddyt

Posted Aug 17, 2009 in: Trouble accessing Toodledo from work
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Aug 17, 2009
A week ago Friday I couldn't access Toodledo from work. I figured it might be another of those server problems and went about my business. Come Monday, same thing. Since I accessed it all weekend from home, I felt something else was going on, so I played around a bit.

After entering the URL, the progress bar crept along very slowly, so just to see what would happen, I minimized it and left it alone. I checked it every once and again, then after about 30 minutes, it came up with my data. Some of the graphics were missing, for instance, the little arrow icon that minimizes or expands the left sidebar is replaced by the text "toggle sidebar."

I found that once the data was displayed, I could click between tabs and the data refreshed normally. I can also add tasks without problem, but certain actions such as clicking Search caused another long painful wait.

So much for the behavior. Some additional facts.

This only happens in my workplace. I tried it with Firefox and with IE. I had colleagues try to access toodledo.com: same thing.

I work for a large defense contractor and the last few months they have been talking more than usual on trying to protect against the constant onslaught from hackers and the never-ending spam, so I expect they might have pushed out some change that is causing this.

Before I call the IT dept, I wanted to try here first to see if anyone knows anything about this kind of behavior. Also, I tried a lot of other sites and Toodledo is the only one that has this problem, so what is unique about Toodledo that might cause this.

Thanks,
Roddy
roddyt

Posted Aug 06, 2009 in: Stand alone reminders
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Aug 06, 2009
Ken somewhat touched on what I would recommend: create a second task which is to remind you to follow-up on the primary task. This would have a due date, which in this case makes sense as it would be the date that you reasonably feel you've been forgotten. Then your primary task does not need a due date.

If you get a response before your reminder task comes due, you can simply delete (or whatever way you want to dismiss it) that task during a review.

This may feel like a workaround unless you think of it like this: the fact that you might need to send a reminder is a separate action not directly related to the task itself. So it's not a stretch to consider a separate task for it.

Until we see standalone reminders, I think this is a reasonable method.

Roddy
roddyt

Posted Jul 08, 2009 in: Check off Box List
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Jul 08, 2009
Rather than jury rig a workaround for something Toodledo isn't designed for, you might want to look at apps that are better suited for lists.

My personal choice is Zenbe. Their iPhone app syncs with the online lists (lists.zenbe.com) and has the added benefit of being able to be shared.

As a tie in, you could have a task that references the list. Maybe not an all-in-one solution, but it gets the job done.
roddyt

Posted Jul 03, 2009 in: sync to iphone
Score: 1
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Jul 03, 2009
  • Score: 1
Hi, I don't know if I can be of any help, but I do know the first question that anyone who can help will ask is, are you using the Toodledo iPhone app, or one of the many third-party apps that have the ability to sync with Toodledo?

If it's a third-party app, the recommendation will no doubt be to contact the author. If it's Toodledo, then standby, someone will be by shortly.
roddyt

Posted Jul 03, 2009 in: Adding notes to a task
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Jul 03, 2009
Sure can. Assuming you're in the grid view, scroll way over to the right. You should see a "page" icon. It will have a little green "plus" in the lower right if there are no notes, or a reddish bar across the bottom if there are notes. Either case, click this to edit or add notes.
roddyt

Posted Jul 01, 2009 in: Progress on task
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Jul 01, 2009
Depending on how, or if, you use the Status field, setting a status of "Active" might give you the desired result.
roddyt

Posted May 14, 2009 in: Some inconsistencies?
  • roddyt
  • Posted: May 14, 2009
One more comment on the stars is that they increase the Importance level by one. So there is a functional as well as visual effect.
roddyt

Posted May 06, 2009 in: Two More Improvements
  • roddyt
  • Posted: May 06, 2009
Reasons I might delete are similar to those of Anders. But I have a twist on the reason I will have duplicates. In the course of a day, a thought may pop into my head and I'll dutifully enter a task. As often as not, I may have already entered that same task before. Usually I'm too busy at the time to search to see if it's already there. When I review I'll find the duplicate and delete it.
roddyt

Posted May 01, 2009 in: 2 things RTM does I wish Toodledo did
  • roddyt
  • Posted: May 01, 2009
I just learned in another post that the Pro Plus level gives you the "forever" you're looking for. So the option is there.

Whenever upgrades are available, there's got to be some reason to want to upgrade. To me, it's totally reasonable for the amount of time data is saved to be used as a carrot to entice users to a higher level.
roddyt

Posted Apr 30, 2009 in: 2 things RTM does I wish Toodledo did
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Apr 30, 2009
Toodledo doesn't delete them either. With a Pro account, it looks like you can keep them up to two years.
roddyt

Posted Apr 29, 2009 in: stars
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Apr 29, 2009
Aside from ideas on how you might use the stars, functionally, it adds 1 to the importance value. So if you sort by Importance, all others things equal in a list of tasks, selecting the star will elevate a task to the next higher level.
roddyt

Posted Apr 27, 2009 in: Questions Forum Bug?
  • roddyt
  • Posted: Apr 27, 2009
Well here's a coincidence for you. I was mulling over posting a "sorry, looks fine to me" message as I continued reading through the rest of the messages. When I got to the end, the Third-Party Applications folder was still red. I checked and all message thread icons were white. For no good reason, I clicked the Welcome message thread with the exclamation point icon. Lo and behold I found a recent message you yourself left.

It may or may not be your problem, but there are two message threads with exclamation point icons in this forum. It's worth checking.

Roddy
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next