SRhyse

Posted Aug 26, 2010 in: Locations, Reverse Sort, and More
Score: 0
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 26, 2010
  • Score: 0
Posted by Claudio:
Posted by Scott:
When locations hit the iPhone, I seriously will consider my iTunes ban and jump on this. It's not a huge feature for me currently in the browser but location aware tasks while mobile are going to be amazing. Taking this update as a first step towards that functionality - I'm excited by the possibilities.
Serious and genuine question: What are the possibilities? I really don't see any value for a location-aware task manager, but I am willing to be enlightened.
Thanks.

Speaking as someone that's not going to get any use out of the location feature, now or likely ever, even if it's mobile or beamed into my brain-

Location based alerts.

Imagine you're a contractor, and you're working on multiple job sites. You have all your tasks in for each site, and an iPhone with Toodledo's app having location based alerts. Roll up to the job site, your phone bings, and you have a sorted list of everything you need to do there. As your leaving the site and driving home, Bing, stop by the hardware store to replace the hammer you broke.

Or you're walking by your bank, and you need a roll of quarters, but you don't remember that you need a roll of quarters, because you put it into Location Aware Toodledo and forgot about it. Bing, look at iPhone, "Pick up quarters if you swing by the bank."

Pass by Barnes and Noble, Bing, look at your phone, "Go buy that one book you wanna read to avoid having to do your work."

Again, I don't give a damn about this for my personal use, and would rather have almost any of the features mentioned in this thread over location awareness if it was an either/or game of programming (which I know as a developer it really isn't). But using this in conjunction with a mobile, location aware device as most smart phones are now, seems self explanatory,
SRhyse

• SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 25, 2010
Pocket Informant is the only one on the iPhone that syncs with both Toodledo and a Calendar service right now in the same app.
SRhyse

Posted Aug 24, 2010 in: Ban / Voting system / Gotten personal
Score: -1
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 24, 2010
  • Score: -1
SRhyse

Score: 1
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 24, 2010
  • Score: 1
The closest you can get right now would be to make some kinda tag/context for tasks you want hidden based on time, which will only easily work if they occur in time 'ranges' and you remember to toggle the filter on/off or look in the appropriate place at the appropriate time range.

Like I have alot of things I only wanna look at in the evening when I'm tired because they're things I probably would be better off not doing, so I tend to tag them with evening, and filter them out until I hit the evening. That lets me safely get them off my mind, and be too tired/lazy to actually do them when they're presented to me.

I'd certainly get alot outa this as well if it were as simple as filtering based on a specific time!

This message was edited Aug 24, 2010.
SRhyse

Posted Aug 21, 2010 in: Trash task
Score: 2
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 21, 2010
  • Score: 2
Set the Start Date of a task to the day before you want to take out the trash. Set the Due Date of a task to be the next day, and have it set to 'Due Optionally On.' That latter option makes it so that whether or not you complete a task by that date, it'll get deleted.

If you set a task to repeat in any way from due date or completion date, when it comes to pass on the due optionally on date, it'll regenerate by the amount of time you set it to repeat by, with accordingly adjusted start and due optionally on dates for the new task.

This message was edited Aug 21, 2010.
SRhyse

• SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 21, 2010
I'm guessing you're in Multi Line view mode. Viewing tasks in that way, there should be a blue arrow/triangle near the task's name. If you click it, all the information you can edit for a task drops down. Click each item to make a change. Adding a new note to a task without one is done by hitting the little paper icon with a green plus on it.

If you're in Grid viewing mode (which you can change here http://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php?edit=9 or by hitting the option in task view), all that info that showed up when you hit the arrow on the task in Multi Line view will be visible inline with a task all the time.
SRhyse

Posted Aug 20, 2010 in: Too much work for too little value
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 20, 2010
If you're really considering paper as a superior tool for your needs over Toodledo and all it's features, why not just enter all 430 tasks into Toodledo and turn off all the features? Now you've got digital paper with search.

If you wanna add or edit multiple tags at once, use the search feature and multi edit/add.
SRhyse

• SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 20, 2010
I think you're making the mistake of over organizing things.

In the actual GTD book and most setups of people associated with it, the only solid connection between specific actions and 'projects' is you. It's tempting to want to have everything conceptually tied together and pretty in an overarching structure within any system you're using, but in the case of buying a dog-

If there are subtasks of the parent task of 'buy a dog' you hadn't considered but need to do in order to get your canine, just adding them in as subtasks of that parent task on the spot seems like it'd suffice. As long as you know where they are, will see them when you can do them, and most importantly you do them in order to get a dog, then the system works fine.

If you were merging companies and had a few projects as tasks in disguise like 'assess the people at the new company we acquired,' things that'll play out over the course of many weeks, months, or even years, you'd wanna consider breaking them up a bit. But not buying a dog. Unless you're looking to use that dog to win some Olympic dog contest in a really complex and elaborate life plan you've made, just list it as 'do x, do y, do z, get dog' ;).
SRhyse

Posted Aug 19, 2010 in: Folder-specific tags
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 19, 2010
Posted by Salgud:
I didn't know TD had a tag cloud. How do you display it?

It was added within the past year, closer to January I think. If you have tags enabled, when you click on the tag portion of a task to enter it, a cloud of the tags you use shows up to select from. The more often used ones are larger, the less often used ones smaller, etc.

If you're not using tags now, you might have to add a bunch and wait a bit for it to kick in if you wanted to try it out.
SRhyse

• SRhyse
Being able to chose which tags do and don't appear in that cloud when you're in a specific folder's view is unfortunately something you can't currently do to my knowledge. The quickest way to accurately tag something in your case, if you use too many and varied tags to be able to pick from the cloud of them with any sanity, would be to make it a habit of always typing the tags in manually.

Fortunately, the collapsible header part of tags within each folder's view would be distinct to each folder if the tags were unique to tasks within that folder, so you can already accomplish that without any work.

About how many tags do you imagine you'd have on active tasks at a time? The maximum number that'll appear in the cloud is somewhere between 25 and 50 I think, and they drop off when there aren't any more unchecked tasks with that tag.

Is being able to easily pick a tag from a presented list your main objective here? If you're not using the Context or Goal functions for something else right now, you might consider dividing up the tags you would think of using between them by type, to make for shorter and easier lists to pick from.

Characters, for example, could be done in tags, but you might consider making plot/structure related things contexts or goals. You can make them all on the fly if you need a new one for a task that doesn't currently exist, so you could create them as easily as tags, with the only limit being a task could have only one goal or context applied to them at a time.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2010.
SRhyse

• SRhyse
It'd be helpful to suggesting a workaround if you elaborated a bit on what you're trying to accomplish with this.

Are you trying to create some kind of custom view within each folder? Like with collapsible headers and such based on tags? Do the tags on tasks that you don't want to appear in other folders even exist on tasks outside of specific folders that said tasks are assigned to? Are you trying to just get some tasks not to show up in folder view?

This message was edited Aug 19, 2010.
SRhyse

• SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 14, 2010
I do my more focused brain dumps in digital mindmaps on my iPhone and computer, and use Evernote for more sporadic ones throughout the day.

Digital mindmaps are great for things you're still editing, organizing or categorizing, and I would loath to go back to any normal text editor for planning or brainstorming after using them. Once I've got something locked down there, I copy and paste it into Toodledo's multi add if it's task oriented.

I agree that Toodledo, or any taskmanager / scheduler app for that matter, tends to make for a horrible 'Inbox.'
SRhyse

Posted Aug 14, 2010 in: Project Management Tools
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 14, 2010
Posted by Hourback:
I haven't tried any of those.

BUT :-) , I have used ClockingIT extensively:

http://www.clockingit.com/

It's free for either the hosted installation, where you can get your own subdomain, i.e., homebound.clockingit.com, or for downloading and hosting yourself. It runs on Ruby on Rails.

I will miss lots of good stuff, I'm sure, if I attempt to list features here.

I'm a big fan of clockingit.com too. All free, all great.
SRhyse

• SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 12, 2010
So how did you make this topic?
SRhyse

Posted Aug 12, 2010 in: Adding Tasks -- Is it just me?
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 12, 2010
If you're in a position to fill out the data for a task, you can hit enter when in the task name field to enter it.

Since new tasks added are kept at the top of any page you add them on but the Multi Add one, atleast until you refresh or change the page you're on, you can try this-

-Hit add new task or N on your keyboard if keyboard shortcuts are enabled
-Type in the task name and hit enter
-Fill out/edit the data of the task or tasks AFTER you hit enter when they're on the top of the current list of tasks, rather than in the add new task edit window that opens up with you first hit the add new task button

This message was edited Aug 12, 2010.
SRhyse

Posted Aug 11, 2010 in: Word documents...
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 11, 2010
Pretty sure you can if you've got a Pro Plus account.

https://www.toodledo.com/pro.php
SRhyse

Score: -1
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 05, 2010
  • Score: -1
For the people that tend to find Toodledo a bit limited for more complex project management, but are afraid of Microsoft Project, there's a free beta going on for a new online one called Tom's Planner-

http://www.tomsplanner.com/

It seems pretty visual and intuitive, and looks like it's complex enough for the kind of projects Toodledo folk might be interested in managing, without going overboard on features.

When the beta ends, it'll still be free to use for anyone that signed up for it for atleast a year, so there's no cost involved in giving it a go for those with project management woes on the forum. I don't personally plan on using it, but based on the forum chatter, I figure atleast a few around here might get something out of it.

This message was edited Aug 05, 2010.
SRhyse

• SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 04, 2010
Subtasks.
SRhyse

Posted Aug 02, 2010 in: Please hire a UI Designer
Score: 6
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 02, 2010
  • Score: 6
@Transisto

I'd already read most of your posts and was familiar with them when I posted previously; what I suggested was something you hadn't yet done in any of your forum contributions.

Put another way, most of your posts/threads follow this basic scheme-

1- I hate 'this and that'
2- Make it 'this'
3- You suck Toodledo, 'a monkey could do this it's so easy and obviously in need of a thorough doing'

I was calling out the latter portion of what tends to be your third beat, the 'a monkey could do this it's so easy and obviously in need of a thorough doing' part. Since you seem very sure of that third beat, why not do the work of the monkey yourself, or make it easier for more qualified people to do? Why not go into detail and write verbatim how you'd go about doing it? Seems like it'd save you and the forum alot of grief about it if it all stirs you up so much, and you're already putting in the time in a way that has yet to lead to a positive outcome.

This message was edited Aug 02, 2010.
SRhyse

Posted Aug 02, 2010 in: Any great Videos that summarise GTD?
  • SRhyse
  • Posted: Aug 02, 2010
David Co also made a mindmap of the later book Making it all Work, which visually and concisely condenses the whole GTD system, as well as gives some context and tips on it. I can't find the original source, but you can get a few versions of it attached here-

http://www.bertplat.net/making-it-all-work

The GTD summary's on the left side of the map.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next