ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by alexborne"
alexborne

Posted Oct 02, 2009 in: Mark Forster's Autofocus
Score: 1
I think it could work. Folders, status and so can help when you want to do project reviews. But the real important thing in Autofocus, is to sort the actions by creation date. The hassle to read through old stuff forces you to take a decision when the dismissal time comes up.

If your list seems too long to be manageable, Mark suggests to delare a backlog, and work it little by little. Baiscally, it means putting aside all old tasks, starting afresh with a blank page, making sure we never let this new list growing, and everyday actionning a few actions from the backlog.

Here are 2 links describing his method.

http://www.markforster.net/blog/2009/8/31/backlog-method.html

http://www.markforster.net/blog/2008/7/28/its-like-walking-across-a-muddy-field-how-to-get-rid-of-ba ck.html

Alex
alexborne

Posted Oct 01, 2009 in: Mark Forster's Autofocus
I must say I have stopped using Toodledo on a day-to-day basis for a few months, just to try Autofocus (on paper)... and I stick with it.
I'll keep Toodledo for the someday / maybe and long terme task planning, but on a daily basis, Autofocus is right what I needed.
When using Toodledo "GTD like", I felt depressed everyday when seeing this (way too) high number of tasks, never going down. Every time I reviewed all tasks to try to purge the list, I kept everything.
Autofocus brings in a new concept : the todolist has a slowly but steadily advancing time slot of active tasks. If you have not done the tasks during this time slot, they are whether dismissed, or re-entered anew, rephrased, broken in smaller steps.
2 advantages :
1- the dismissed ones stay on the paper, so they become someday / maybe, but they get completely out of sight an thoughts. So even for non disciplined people (count me in !), there is an autocleaning process that keeps the list manageable, realistic, and motivating.
2- when you bring a reviewed task up on the top of the list, it is a very conscious action : you know you want to keep this task because it is important, and you know you have failed to do it in the normal time slot, so you have to modify it, break it down, or else, to make it doable.
It works much better for me than having an ever growing list, on which trying to pick-up the next thing to do makes me dizzy.
I love paper and my internet connection at work is painfully slow, so I stick with paper. But I think this system can be used with most of todolist softwares. With Toodledo, I think it is manageable with "modification date" sorting.
For the separation between closed list and open list, just create a task with "--------------------------" subject, and check it off when you dismiss the closed list.

This message was edited Oct 01, 2009.
alexborne

I'd be interested in a more specific descritpion of how you use priorities. DO you use them to bring up the list mini-projects (ex : "notebook") ? Or do you scan you projects and then prioritize up some subtasks ?
alexborne

Posted Jun 12, 2009 in: Urgent vs Important
Score: 2
Covey shows a 2x2 matrix, with 4 quadrants. why not give each quadrant a prority value ?

An example set up could be :

priority 0 : low importance and not urgent
priority 1 : low importance and urgent
priority 2 : important and not urgent
priority 3 : important and urgent
priority -1 for the someday / may be

I kind of use this set up, and it works.
every day I review all tasks priority by priority, and I star the ones I select to be done today. Then use only the starred list, until it is empty. Then go back again to priorities, to select another bunch of tasks according to priorities.

I like this word, "priority". It is not importance nor urgency. you can put priority hierarchy according to your own criteria, whatever they are.
alexborne

Posted Jun 10, 2009 in: Efficiently adding tasks when offline
Score: 0
exactly, I think email is the best method.
if remembering the syntax can be aproblem, I suggest :
1- create a contact with your specific toodledo email adress
2- create an inbox folder in toodledo
then the only thing to remember is to write in the subject of the email :
do this task *inbox

and then, you process the inbox folder in toodledo when you get back online
alexborne

Posted Apr 27, 2009 in: add subtask
great idea, I subscribe to morkmemo's suggestion !

This message was edited Apr 27, 2009.
alexborne

being able to have the next dependant action automatically switched to status "next action" when the previous one is completed, would be a major improvement for me.
alexborne

Posted Apr 09, 2009 in: Toodledo is not for GTD
I do use contexts, but they are related to ... the context, and do not necessarily help to place tasks in a project hierarchy. I can for example have a home project related task to do @work, or even @phone or @outside.

Contexts, as well as priorities, help me pick up what I am going to do next. They do not help me structure my tasks within projects or roles.

I can live with folders, tags, goals, and subtasks, but my "ideal" set-up would have projects and subprojects fields as added.
alexborne

Posted Apr 09, 2009 in: Toodledo is not for GTD
Why not have some empty fields that each user can customize ?
Let'say you have up to 10 fields, you name them as you want. It then can be roles, area of focus, project, tag, context, sub-project, goals, etc...
Then it's up to the user to make it suit his Time management method. Because Covey's, Allen's, Forster's or others' methods, can require very different setups.

One important option on these fields is to be able to choose between a closed toggle menu with pre-set choices(such as priorities), or an on-the-fly editable field, like tags are.

Today I use folders for projects, and tags for subprojects, but I still miss an easy way to filter home or work projects. Customizable fields would help a lot, I think.
alexborne

Score: -1
add my vote !
alexborne

Posted Mar 04, 2009 in: subtasks only go down one level?
add my vote for more levels.
alexborne

Posted Feb 25, 2009 in: managing projects with sequential tasks
I found that inserting 2.5 between 2 and 3 does actually sort the task between task number 2 and task number 3. Therefore, no maintenance needed, just insert intermediate numbers.
Otherwise you can still use the old programming habit in Basic : line 10, line 20, line 30, leaving plenty of spacee to insert lines.
alexborne

Posted Feb 15, 2009 in: managing projects with sequential tasks
very interesting discussions here...
Anybody has a progress to share on this subject?

My thought is :
what about putting the sequence number in the task name, then the alphabetic order will show the tasks automatically in sequence ?
Skip to Page:  1   2