garyo

Posted Feb 13, 2015 in: Progress Report - January 2015
Score: 0
  • garyo
  • Posted: Feb 13, 2015
  • Score: 0
Posted by shelbyp:
Posted by natgross:
Although Habits is nice, I am afraid it is diverting important resources from the core product.

I think the issue is more around what you are using TD for. People who are using it in the context of larger project management will obviously want more features in the tasks section. However for the numerous other people who use the tool for either small projects or personal GTD, Habits and outlines are extremely powerful and potentially more useful then tasks...

For me, it's got nothing to do with larger project management. I just am frustrated daily with simple things like no batch editing. Just yesterday I had a bunch (about 25) of sub-tasks, and realized I should make a context for them and move them to that context. Once I thought about having to go to each one, change its context, and make it not a sub-task... well I just gave up. So yeah, seeing TD implement new features, then have to fix the inevitable bugs in them and respond to feature requests there, while leaving what seem to me like holes in the main workflow, seems like diverting important resources. As a software engineer, my mantra is always bug fixes before new features. I get that not everyone works that way though, or maybe I'm the only one who's annoyed by all these little problems. TD is still head & shoulders above anything else.
garyo

Posted Dec 30, 2014 in: New Section: Habits
Score: 5
  • garyo
  • Posted: Dec 30, 2014
  • Score: 5
"Habits"? Really? I have to say I'm a little disappointed. So much important work needs to be done (bulk modification, more levels of subtasks, lists in Android, fix offline backup API, usability enhancements, etc.) that spending time on trendy new features seems less than ideal to me. I'm sure "habits" tracking is nice for some folks, but just for me at least, I wish you'd spend resources on improving the core service (which I absolutely rely on every single day -- Toodledo is the foundation of my daily workflow and I always recommend it to others).
garyo

Posted Dec 13, 2014 in: backup & 2-step authentication
  • garyo
  • Posted: Dec 13, 2014
Does anyone have a cron backup script that works with 2-step auth?
garyo

Posted Dec 05, 2014 in: Toodledo Redesign Plans
Score: 2
  • garyo
  • Posted: Dec 05, 2014
  • Score: 2
For me, one of the biggest missing things in ToodleDo is batch modification of tasks. Often, say at the end of the week, during my weekly review as I sit at my PC, I'd like to select a bunch of tasks and increase their priority, bump them to next week, or decide to do them @home instead of @work (change their context). There is no way to do that as a group; you have to go through them one by one and make the desired change. This is error-prone and pretty frustrating.

I wish there were just an extra "select" checkbox column; checking in there would select tasks for batch change. Then you'd make the change on any of the tasks and it would update all of them. (That's just a suggestion, I'm sure there are other ways to do it.)

The only workaround I've heard before is to use starring, and then search for the star (because you *can* batch update the results of a search -- the functionality is there!). Unfortunately I already use stars for "immediate tasks to work on" so this doesn't work for me.
garyo

• garyo
  • Posted: Nov 09, 2014
Support ticket created. But as I said, I doubt this is a bug in Toodledo itself, probably a 3rd party app. Still, any help would be appreciated.
garyo

Score: 2
  • garyo
  • Posted: Nov 07, 2014
  • Score: 2
Long-time pro user here, and a big fan.

Somehow all my many hundreds of tasks have lost their contexts. It happened a few days ago, so I hand-reset them all one at a time. Now it's just happened again. I assume it's a third-party app; I have them synced with the TD mobile app (Android) and Informant (I'm beta testing, so yeah, probably that one). I just turned off Informant in hopes it's that.

I really REALLY need some way to just tick off all the work tasks and say "make these all Context=Work". I can't face hand-editing them all again. Is there some hack out there I can use? I do keep backups, I can probably restore but then I'll lose the tasks I've added recently.
garyo

Posted Jul 15, 2014 in: Pocket Informant
Score: 1
  • garyo
  • Posted: Jul 15, 2014
  • Score: 1
I use PI constantly as my main calendar (and have since the Palm days), but I'm on Android so I can't really say much about the iOS version. But for serious GTD, I just use Toodledo straight up.
garyo

Posted Jun 17, 2014 in: List and Outline Collaboration
Score: 5
  • garyo
  • Posted: Jun 17, 2014
  • Score: 5
"share a grocery list with your spouse" -- my #1 dream use case for lists! But until it's on Android, it doesn't help in the grocery store. (I know you said to be patient on mobile... I'm trying :-) ) Seriously, this is a great start. Thanks for all your good work!
garyo

Posted May 07, 2014 in: Multi-item selection
  • garyo
  • Posted: May 07, 2014
Interestingly, the Android app allows multi-selection. But you can't do anything once you've selected more than one task. Conversely, the web app doesn't allow multi-selection, but with a filter you can do things to more than one task. Just marry the two and we'd be all set!

(BTW, this has long been my #1 feature request.)

This message was edited May 07, 2014.
garyo

Posted Jan 14, 2014 in: New Section: Lists
  • garyo
  • Posted: Jan 14, 2014
Posted by Jake:
Yes, this is possible, but you need a Gold subscription to do it.

Video #10 will demonstrate how to do it: http://www.toodledo.com/info/videos.php

Thanks -- now a Gold subscriber! TD is awesome.

Now that I'm using Lists more, I'd like to put in another vote for tri-state checkboxes: unchecked, checked, and grayed out (or X).
garyo

Posted Jan 10, 2014 in: New Section: Lists
  • garyo
  • Posted: Jan 10, 2014
Posted by Shayne.Tanner:
how do I link to my list to a task?

UPDATED - I worked it out - attachments!

Thanks

I'm trying to do this now, and can't figure it out. I have a task, and I have a list; I'd like to link the list to the task so when I'm viewing the task I can click to go to the list. Is that what you were talking about? Is that possible?
garyo

Posted Dec 02, 2013 in: New Section: Lists
  • garyo
  • Posted: Dec 02, 2013
How do I re-sort the list after adding some items? New items always get added at the top, not in sort order (unless I'm doing something wrong). So far the only way I've found is to switch to viewing another list and then back to the list I'm working with.
garyo

Posted Nov 16, 2012 in: reorder context list?
  • garyo
  • Posted: Nov 16, 2012
I have a bunch of contexts, and I wish Home and Work were the first in the list on the left sidebar, instead of others being between them. Is there any way to reorder the list of contexts? I tried Edit Contexts and just reordering them there but that didn't work.
garyo

Posted Sep 05, 2012 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011
  • garyo
  • Posted: Sep 05, 2012
I just want to chime in here and say I don't use ToodleDo for scheduled tasks, but everything else to be done. Meetings and things to be done _at_ a particular time go on my calendar (gmail or work). Things to be done _by_ a particular time go in my TD, and I have things sorted so they bubble up to the top as they get near. Then I just work down my list.

So go ahead & add better calendar integration and scheduling, but in my workflow, I'm fine with how it works now. If it were up to me, I'd prefer TD to add multiple contexts per task (do this at home OR at work), multilevel subtasks, and batch operations (multi-select).
garyo

Posted May 07, 2012 in: Fancy interactive graphs
  • garyo
  • Posted: May 07, 2012
I use TD for managing my home life and my business, and have turned on many other folks to it. I'm a pro subscriber. I sync my Android to it as well. There is no question in my mind as to the value of the product, regardless of future direction. I am a 100% locked-in customer and loving it.

I don't care about the new graphs, the new slim site, iOS, nor a bunch of other things. And yes, I have itches I'd like scratched - plenty of them. But given the price/value relationship I am again extremely satisfied with current progress.

Also, I've seen enough companies go down the tubes because the professionalized what had been done through passion that I'm not anxious for TD to repeat that. Just a long-winded way of saying, keep up the good work.
garyo

Posted May 03, 2012 in: Fancy interactive graphs
Score: -1
  • garyo
  • Posted: May 03, 2012
  • Score: -1
I just tried it, and for me at least the Completion Time graph has a bunch of tasks with negative completion times. What does that mean (or is it a bug)?
garyo

Posted Dec 14, 2011 in: Toodledo for iOS 2.1.15
  • garyo
  • Posted: Dec 14, 2011
kylin1989: there are plenty of decent Android apps that sync with TD. To-Do List and Pocket Informant are two I use; To-Do List is fine. I think Astrid still syncs with TD... there are probably others too.
garyo

Posted Dec 07, 2011 in: A few bug fixes
  • garyo
  • Posted: Dec 07, 2011
Thanks!! Esp. for #3 which was my biggest annoyance. (If that's someone's biggest annoyance you know you're doing things pretty much right :-) )
garyo

Posted Dec 01, 2011 in: "Today" isn't today after midnight
  • garyo
  • Posted: Dec 01, 2011
Is it a known issue that "Today" in the calendar picker is actually yesterday after midnight? I leave my TD open in a Chrome or Firefox tab all the time, and each morning if I don't refresh the tab (with the browser refresh -- R shortcut doesn't fix it) all the dates still think it's yesterday, so I end up confused.

Couldn't TD know that the current day has changed and refresh its internal idea of "today"?
garyo

Posted Sep 26, 2011 in: Backup and Restore Options
  • garyo
  • Posted: Sep 26, 2011
So I can just replace the guts of my backup crontab script with 'wget http://www.toodledo.com/tools/backup.php' (with appropriate authentication)? Nice. It even saves it with a decent name.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5      Next